iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The (Lucas Mill) Adventure Begins...

Started by JohnM, May 26, 2013, 10:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I'm as excited as your son too. Let ne know when all the work is done and I'll come up than.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: RedLeg on May 28, 2013, 11:26:43 PM
Quote from: Satamax on May 28, 2013, 12:38:12 PM
To get an idea, if it's no secret. How much did you pay for it?

The CL ad had it listed at $10K, quite a deal if it was in good shape and with it including the Slabber attachment.
Well, I guess Red outted me. ;) :D  RedLeg, the same happened to me.  dgdrls jumped on an 827 in NH that I had planned on calling on the day he was picking it up! :D  All I can offer is have all your ducks in a row before hand and than it comes down to timing and just plain luck.  This came together very quickly for me.

Quote from: ET on May 29, 2013, 12:12:50 AM
Congrats on your great find.  The learning curve isn't too bad. Once you get the hang of it the boards just fly off.  Do you already have a place to set it up inside?  I keep mine torn down in the garage and have to set up each time I use it.
No building yet, ET.  I have it setup in a back field so the thought dragging back and forth to the garage is not a good one.  So I just have tarp over the power head for now.  Not the best sitution but it's the one I'm in. ::) :)

Quote from: thecfarm on May 29, 2013, 08:01:16 AM
I'm as excited as your son too. Let ne know when all the work is done and I'll come up than.  :D
Ummm...Ray, we'll both be dead before all the work is done with this place. ::)  Just bring a pair of gloves! ;) ;D :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

Same here to John with the work. Bring the gloves part too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: thecfarm on May 29, 2013, 08:24:13 AM
... Bring the gloves part too.  :D

Ya'll be careful working around moving machinery while wearing gloves.

A glove contributed to the circumstances that led to the accident I had which caused my altered digits...

Herb

JohnM

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 29, 2013, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on May 29, 2013, 08:24:13 AM
... Bring the gloves part too.  :D

Ya'll be careful working around moving machinery while wearing gloves.

A glove contributed to the circumstances that led to the accident I had which caused my altered digits...

Herb
Agreed, Herb, it depends on what I'm doing whether or not I wear them.  My father never wore this wedding ring for that reason.  He was an amateur woodworker and even taught highschool shop for a few years.  Ironically he ended up tearing off the top of said ring finger with the woodsplitter to the first knuckle.  Not paying attention and legally blind is a bad combo. ::) :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

You are OK Herb.  You just can't point as far as you once could.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KnotBB

One of the modification they did to the 827 when it became an 830 was to change sides with the narrow rail guides (rollers).  They put the narrow wheels on the left side verses the right side to get straighter cuts because that's the side that gets pulled "toward".  I see your "new" mill hasn't been changed.  Easy modification!  Talk to Baileys if you have questions.

It really gets fun with 30"to 40" logs.
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on May 29, 2013, 11:58:10 AM
You are OK Herb.  You just can't point as far as you once could.   :-\

But my youngest daughter say's I'll be able to get a discount when I go get a manicure!

Course, that's about to happen, any day now...

Herb

Satamax

Quote from: JohnM on May 29, 2013, 08:18:28 AM
Well, I guess Red outted me. ;) :D  RedLeg, the same happened to me.  dgdrls jumped on an 827 in NH that I had planned on calling on the day he was picking it up! :D  All I can offer is have all your ducks in a row before hand and than it comes down to timing and just plain luck.  This came together very quickly for me.

Well, it happened to all of us. Worse case, i missed a CD4 (wide band 40 inch wheels, horizontal bandsaw, self fed, french made) for a thousand euros, last year. Being kind of nice, i didn't dare calling at ten thirty at night. Called at eight,. The buyer called at six thirty am, and came that same morning, and by the time i called, it was gone!  :'(
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

sigidi

First and FOREMOST - well done mate 8) ;D ;) I can feel the anticipation you would have had!! ;D sometimes those late night calls can be great.

I was going to say, it doesn't look like an old machine, but with that few hours on it!!!you are basically in a new machine!!! good for you mate, I know you have been lookin hard

Quote from: KnotBB on May 29, 2013, 01:36:46 PM
One of the modification they did to the 827 when it became an 830 was to change sides with the narrow rail guides (rollers).  They put the narrow wheels on the left side verses the right side to get straighter cuts because that's the side that gets pulled "toward".  I see your "new" mill hasn't been changed.  Easy modification!  Talk to Baileys if you have questions.

I have narrow both sides, each time I rationalise putting narrow one side or the other, I find reasons for them to be the other side, so I thoguth to heck with it, so narrow both sides it is. It does mean a little finer setup is needed, but I always take that much time/care setting up anyway.
Always willing to help - Allan

JohnM

Quote from: sigidi on May 29, 2013, 05:53:32 PM

I have narrow both sides, each time I rationalise putting narrow one side or the other, I find reasons for them to be the other side, so I thoguth to heck with it, so narrow both sides it is. It does mean a little finer setup is needed, but I always take that much time/care setting up anyway.

I barely understand what you two are talking about. :D :D  I'm in pure flat-out play/practice mode atm. ;D  I'll need to order several parts from Baileys at some point, the slabber is missing whatever part it needs to connect to the drive train and has no chain.  The seller had it all stored in a basement of a house he and a friend were building together.  They had words, he went and took all his stuff out but left those two items.  The slabber is still wrapped in packing tape!  (And will be for a while. :D)

Allan, thanks again for all your help!  No bent tabs! ;)

JM

dgdrls

Well done John 8)  Glad the trip went well.

Another Lucas/circle mill finds a home on the board ;)

DGD

Nomad

the slabber is missing whatever part it needs to connect to the drive train and has no chain.  The seller had it all stored in a basement of a house he and a friend were building together.  They had words, he went and took all his stuff out but left those two items.  The slabber is still wrapped in packing tape!  (And will be for a while. :D)

JM
[/quote]

Sounds like you're talking about the drive sprocket.  It goes where the mounting plate for the circle blade is.  When you set it up as a slabber, make sure you follow the alignment instructions well!  Chains are a bit over $100 each.  And make sure you get a Carleton File-O-Plate from Baileys!  That little piece of stamped metal is worth it's weight in gold.  Order an extra set of blade mounting screws and extra sprocket screws too.  They're not the same.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sigidi

Quote from: JohnM on May 29, 2013, 06:13:13 PM
Quote from: sigidi on May 29, 2013, 05:53:32 PM

I barely understand what you two are talking about. :D :D  I'm in pure flat-out play/practice mode atm. ;D  I'll need to order several parts from Baileys at some point, the slabber is missing whatever part it needs to connect to the drive train and has no chain.  The seller had it all stored in a basement of a house he and a friend were building together.  They had words, he went and took all his stuff out but left those two items.  The slabber is still wrapped in packing tape!  (And will be for a while. :D)

JM

Well I reckon you just have some fun first mate, plenty of time to get into all this stuff ;) ;D
And no probs with a bit of help here and there mate  ;) too easy, anytime

Magicman

I always recommend that anyone with a "new" sawmill to get some logs and just practice and have fun.  There is a learning curve that needs to be mastered without an audience.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tjhammer

A-MEN mm,I had a time on the blade kerf on my saw,on a swing mill the hor kerf settings are figured on the scale  on the vert you have no way to figure kerf, its knowing how deep your saw cuts past the setting on mine its 1/4 deeper than the setting,after a couple small logs I was on my way
  tj
hammer

sigidi

Quote from: tjhammer on May 30, 2013, 08:07:16 AM

A-MEN mm,I had a time on the blade kerf on my saw,on a swing mill the hor kerf settings are figured on the scale  on the vert you have no way to figure kerf, its knowing how deep your saw cuts past the setting on mine its 1/4 deeper than the setting,after a couple small logs I was on my way
  tj

TJ, with the Lucas, the kerf is factored into both horiz and vert scales

tjhammer

sigidi  thought mine was too but after coming short on the vert cut I started checking when I entered the saw then pull it out 1/4 short now that I know this no problem
  tj
hammer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 30, 2013, 07:29:51 AM
I always recommend that anyone with a "new" sawmill to get some logs and just practice and have fun.  There is a learning curve that needs to be mastered without an audience.   ;D

And even when you think you know it....you forget it all,  when the crowd shows up.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Just get yourself a couple of scrappy logs and practise sawing 1x1s. You will need stickers, and this gets you into the rhythm of running the mill. Once you have done the adjust, walk, flip, walk, flip, repeat... thing a few hundred times it becomes instinctive and you are able to think about the other things like your actual cutting patterns

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JohnM

Quote from: Ianab on May 30, 2013, 06:24:53 PM

Just get yourself a couple of scrappy logs and practise sawing 1x1s. You will need stickers, and this gets you into the rhythm of running the mill. Once you have done the adjust, walk, flip, walk, flip, repeat... thing a few hundred times it becomes instinctive and you are able to think about the other things like your actual cutting patterns

Ian

MM, the mill is in the back of the back field.  :D  People can hear me but not see me. ;D

Ian, that's kind of what I was doing with the 3/4 stuff.  Tedious but effective training.  Think I like your sticker idea though, I'm already in need of those! ;D :D

Made my first  two 2x6s tonight, would have made more but it was too dark to read the gauges. :) ;D  Did I mention this is really fun?! 8)

JM

thecfarm

Park the tractor so the lights shine on it.  :D    It's great owning a mill.

GDinMaine

The bugs would love to have you over for supper.  They love tasty sawmill people, even if they are in need of a shower.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

sigidi

Quote from: tjhammer on May 30, 2013, 05:18:28 PM

sigidi  thought mine was too but after coming short on the vert cut I started checking when I entered the saw then pull it out 1/4 short now that I know this no problem
  tj

Not quite with ya on this TJ, but the kerf is most certainly factored into the scales. In the vertical cut, the blade may start the cut fine, but wander away from the horizontal cut by the end of the log for a few reasons - if pulled through too quick or blade has lost tension, if carriage brake isn't on firm enough or blade is sharpened badly.

Thank You Sponsors!