iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Log Bed

Started by Greg Brown, May 28, 2014, 10:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Brown

May 25th was my daughter's 13th birthday, I decided to do something extra special for her.  She needed a larger bed so I chose to build her one.
My wife had given me one of those kits from Baileys to put tenons on logs and make log furniture.  So away I go collecting all sorts of ERC sticks and logs.
I thought "how hard can this be"?  Well after who knows how many hours of peeling bark, trimming, sanding, trying to choose the best pieces, fitting, I see why stores get the prices they do for this kind of furniture!

My daughter was quite surprised and very happy.  Priceless

Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Ocklawahaboy

That's right nice.  My wife wants one of those.  I hope she doesn't buy me any kit to make the joints.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

very nice!! you did a great job!!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

thecfarm

I don't wonder why your daughter is happy. Lots and lots of time making those crooked pieces look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Awesome, and I like the bed cover, too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rrrun

Lucky girl. Outstanding piece!
--
www.MowryJournal.com

drobertson

Like it,  wish my wife would buy me tool kit for doing this work, I have treaded on the idea for way to long,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

A great looking present you made. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Nice.  Your Daughter has a smart Mom & Dad.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

If you do anymore in the future let the Cedar set until the bark starts to come off and then use a power washer. Works great. The longer they set (a yr or 2) the easier it is to get the bark off. Nice job on the first bed. Saved yourself some big bucks also.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

justallan1

Very nice work. I bought one of the kits a good while ago, but haven't had the time to mess with it yet.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!