iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More tree ID

Started by Jkauffman, August 15, 2021, 11:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkauffman

Can't figure it out,these two pics are some tree just about 120 degrees around the tree from each other.I tried lookin at the leaves with binoculars but they are way up there's can't get a good look.The leaves are rather small and look somewhat like ash except they aren't in pairs like ash.South-central Kentucky 

Magicman

Do the stems have opposite branching?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jkauffman

Don't think so.I'd have to check again but pretty sure not

bitternut

The bark resembles a Hackberry tree that I planted. Does the tree have tiny BB size green fruit?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2021, 08:21:12 AMDo the stems have opposite branching?

And it will have opposite branching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jkauffman

:) Thanks guys I appreciate it.I have some more ash on my place but it don't quite look like that so I was confused.The other ash has a tighter,smaller bark but is most definitely ash with opposite branching and corky bark.Could the other trees be a different kind of ash?now that I think of it,there is no other ash on that side of the mountain besides ones like I posted 

WDH

Ash bark changes with tree age. Young trees have tight interlaced ridges that form diamonds.  As the tree ages, areas of blocky bark can develop between areas of interlaced ridges.  Also bark varies slightly between individuals. 

BTW here is the Georgia State Champion green ash.  That is my brother in the pic. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

White ash with a lighter bark usually grows on the higher drier sites and Black or Green Ash with a darker bark usually grows on the wetter lowland soil types; often found in riparian areas of lakes and streams.
~Ron

WDH

White ash and green ash are very difficult to tell apart.  The differences between them are minute.  It really does not make any difference as the wood is the same. Just small botanical differences that really only matter to Botanists and Dendrologists and not practical people. 

If anyone has a burning interest in how to tell them apart, just holler. 

bitternut

That state tree is quite a monster. I have a personal champion ash tree on my Allegany County NY woods that has a little lean to it. I don't have a clue if it is green ash or white ash. The wife tried to straighten it up but had no success. ;D

This tree is close enough to the property line that it has survived several timber harvests over the years. Ash might be considered a pioneer species but if you leave them be they can obtain awesome size. I decided that it should remain standing after our impending harvest.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: bitternut on August 21, 2021, 05:32:05 PM
That state tree is quite a monster. I have a personal champion ash tree on my Allegany County NY woods that has a little lean to it. I don't have a clue if it is green ash or white ash. The wife tried to straighten it up but had no success. ;D

This tree is close enough to the property line that it has survived several timber harvests over the years. Ash might be considered a pioneer species but if you leave them be they can obtain awesome size. I decided that it should remain standing after our impending harvest.

That tree is still healthy!? Good on ya mate! I hope she holds up, its a beuat. Surprised the EAB didn't declare that an 'all you can eat diner'.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Quote from: WDH on August 21, 2021, 08:03:41 AMIf anyone has a burning interest in how to tell them apart, just holler.

YO!! ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Ok.   First off, you have to know what a samara is.  No Southside, it is not a type of headdress worn by nomadic Arab Bebouins in the Sahara desert. It is a fruit.  It is a seed with a single wing.  Another important feature to look at is the twig where the leaf attaches to the twig at the point of petiole (leaf stalk) attachment. 

In white ash, the blade of the samara ends more at the tip (top) of the seed cavity. In green ash, the wind extends down past the tip of the seed cavity on each side to about halfway down the seed.  This is not always such a noticeably difference somewhat like the difference between Southside and the typical Cro-magnon.  

The second feature involves the lateral buds.  In the junction of a leaf petiole and a twig, there is always a bud.  In white ash, the petiole sorta swells up at the base and enclosed the bud.  If you hold a twig up with the leaf attached and look at the junction of the leaf petiole and the twig, you cannot see the tip of the bud. It is buried down in the junction.

In green ash, the lateral bud is not entirely enclosed by the base of the petiole at the petiole and twig junction. You can see the tip of the bud protruding out just a little bit, just like the brow ridge in Southside being more pronounced than the typical Cro-magnon and more Neanderthal-like.   I am not saying that he is not a fully modern human, but there are some taxonomic concerns. 

beenthere

Pics may help.. 
Green ash

White ash

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Very excellent pics. 

Jkauffman

Thanks y'all I really appreciate your responses!

Jkauffman

Any ideas on these species?I know this thread is outdated but didn't want to start a new one.Location is south central Ky.I was thinking maybe elm and maybe hickory?I'm still learning but I can point out your basic cedar lol

mike_belben

Im seeing a hickory.  Need more parts of the tree.  Leaves, nuts, branch tips or grain closeup
Praise The Lord

WDH

Southside

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2021, 07:53:28 AMI am not saying that he is not a fully modern human, but there are some taxonomic concerns.

Some folks just get jealous that they have to bend over, instead of reaching up, to tie their shoes.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KEC

A few years back, I hiked with a grandson to a firetower on Snowny Mt. near Indian Lake, NY. Saw one of the biggest, straight and tall ash trees ever. It looked like it would grade out if sawn. Growing in the forest preserve and, of course, I did not take a camera. And, as WDH said, bark changes as trees age. There are some big and old Yellow Birch in the Adirondacks and the bark is very different than on the younger trees you see.

Thank You Sponsors!