iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickie Quiz Jackpot #22

Started by mesquite buckeye, July 12, 2016, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on July 19, 2016, 07:13:18 AM
Probably a pin oak  :).

I thought about guessing that, but I can't afford anymore whacks to the the head. Plus, the map I looked at showed a pretty small territory it grows in. In fact, according to that map, Pin Oaks don't even grow much past Michigan's southern border. Yet, I live in the crotch of 'The Thumb' and I have a healthy one in my front yard.  :)
(I'll sit here quietly now and await my beating  ;D

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Gary_C

What's the prize in Jackpot #22?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

Looks like if you win you do not get whacked.  I ain't talking.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

My Tree ID book lists 35 different Oaks in Mississippi.  That means that 34 answers guesses would be wrong @ 24 whacks per wrong answer = 840 whacks.  No way Jose !!!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The Frozen Northern Types have a dearth of red oaks.  Us Southerners have a whack of them.  Anatomically, you cannot differentiate the wood of the red oaks by species  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Quote from: WDH on July 15, 2016, 07:55:52 AM
The rays and open pores would indicate a red oak.

Quote from: WDH on July 19, 2016, 08:41:22 PM
  Anatomically, you cannot differentiate the wood of the red oaks by species  :).

Only the FPL knows.  ::)

Me thinks you won Jackpot #22.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Check Reply #52.  You win, you get no whacks.   ;D

WmFritz

I've been trying to find dearth in the FF dictionary all morning.  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

Magicman

Is that because you have a dearth of dictionaries?   ???

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Gary_C on July 19, 2016, 10:29:16 PM
Quote from: WDH on July 15, 2016, 07:55:52 AM
The rays and open pores would indicate a red oak.

Quote from: WDH on July 19, 2016, 08:41:22 PM
  Anatomically, you cannot differentiate the wood of the red oaks by species  :).

Only the FPL knows.  ::)

Me thinks you won Jackpot #22.

That is what the book says. I think the book is wrong...

The search continues. dadgum you, Charlie!
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on July 20, 2016, 05:31:41 PM

You must be a red oak Whisperer or have strange powers.. 

Gary_C

The search continues. dadgum you, Charlie!

Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2016, 07:16:51 AM
What is the Prize?

Ah Ha. The prize is in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, right along with the answer to the question.  :)

cliffreaves

I would've guessed red oak, but since that's not it perhaps you're wanting to be more specific.   Perhaps scarlet oak???  Or just because it hasn't been said... chestnut?

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on July 20, 2016, 08:32:03 PM

You must be a red oak Whisperer or have strange powers..

Nah. Just looking and reading what the books say and finding some things not matching.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: cliffreaves on July 20, 2016, 11:29:34 PM
I would've guessed red oak, but since that's not it perhaps you're wanting to be more specific.   Perhaps scarlet oak???  Or just because it hasn't been said... chestnut?
It isn't either of those.
dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie!

mesquite buckeye

Just to settle this out a bit we have that the tree is in the red oak group. Clue #9 and thanks WDH. ;D

I'll fill in the interesting details when we get to the end of this.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill

mesquite buckeye

smiley_army_helmet smiley_army_helmet smiley_army_helmet smiley_bobby smiley_bobby smiley_bobby smiley_hardhat smiley_hardhat smiley_hardhat smiley_bicycle_helmet smiley_bicycle_helmet smiley_bicycle_helmet smiley_sultan smiley_sultan smiley_sultan headscratch

DelawhereJoe

How about a willow oak then...
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

cliffreaves

Sassafras73

WM LT15GO25HP; Forester

mesquite buckeye

Thank You Sponsors!