iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help... trying to bring her back to life.

Started by djp, October 12, 2020, 11:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Long story short... unidentified Frankenstein mill that I need some help with. I'm learning about this stuff as I go so please excuse my lack of knowledge and jargon. I've been reading a lot on here and found it invaluable so thank you all for your help.

What I know... the power plant is a 1941 International Harvester BD264. We've got it in tip top shape now...

The mill has one gear stamped w/ Corley T-102 but otherwise has nothing on the carriage/knees/anywhere else I can find so Corley says it's not theirs.

Looks to me like an old mill that would have been on a wood frame, later adapted to a steel frame... made from at least one Corley part and then nothing else Corley...

#1, Would love to try and identify the mfg. if only for curiosity's sake.

#2, Need the logdog? thing as my carriage only has one. Wondering if anyone has one sitting around (or has an interesting way to fab an alternative setup but would love to keep as original as possible.

#3, appreciate any do's and don'ts as it relates to not breaking the machine, myself, or anyone else when operating this thing... 

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, djp!

Looks like quite a project you've got going there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nebraska

I don't know sickem about circle mills, but every time I see a thread like this, I catch  myself thinking "geez that's so cool". I may get to the point soon I need to go watch one for a while, but then I'm afraid of the progression of my  affliction. Plus there's one in a pile at a neighbor's three miles south of my house.... ;) Anyway good luck with your project..

djp

Get in, the water is great! It's a beautiful thing. Thanks for the well wishes. 

Don P

Welcome to the forum.
When you get a chance get some closer and clearer pics of the husk, setworks and dog (you need at least 2) and hopefully someone will recognize some parts.

djp

Quote from: Don P on October 12, 2020, 10:50:26 PM
Welcome to the forum.
When you get a chance get some closer and clearer pics of the husk, setworks and dog (you need at least 2) and hopefully someone will recognize some parts.
I've added a bunch of pics in my gallery... will try adding some here too. Thanks.

djp

Quote from: Chuck White on October 12, 2020, 03:07:43 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, djp!

Looks like quite a project you've got going there!
Thank you! Yes, it's coming along. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have but I'm trying to now.

djp

As you can see I managed to not take a single pic of the “getting to this point of the build”. I do have some videos that I will figure out how to load some frames and hopefully get some other pics from the fam. But here are some pics for the sake of trying to figure out who she is.

Note that the steel frames that hold the knee are stamped Jones&Laughlin which was a major steel producer from Pittsburgh. Thought that was cool.

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

djp

Quote from: Satamax on October 14, 2020, 11:50:34 PM
DJP, a very good thread about a circular sawmill rebuild. Worth reading.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=58233.0
Thanks... Wow, a couple threads in and good lord that build is intense. 

Fortunately, mine has been fairly easy as my setup was pumping out railroad ties up until 12 months ago... and only sat idle for the 8 months before I picked it up in June. 

After a new water pump, welding the intake, some re-wiring, rebuilding the carb, changing a couple gaskets, and some functional mods we are pretty close to cutting. I estimate a couple weeks out but I’ve been saying that since July. 

We basically have the engine ready and are now doing some safety mods and adjusting everything to get ready to cut the first board. Including hunting for that second rack/dog setup. I will post a series on the engine soon... very few pics unfortunately but I will try to show the progression.

Thanks for sharing.

Woodpecker52

Some mills have a board splitter at the end of frame to separate board after saw and prevent any curve back.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Walnut Beast

Don P

To my knowledge they all have splitters and it needs to be there, good way to see how far the mill can throw a log without it.

The bearing boxes usually have wool felt in them to let oil thru but not trash and it would be a good idea to make some covers for them, oil floats on water so open to the weather those bearings are going to be lubing on water in short order..
Looks like it'll be sawing soon!

djp

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on October 15, 2020, 12:20:36 AM
Some mills have a board splitter at the end of frame to separate board after saw and prevent any curve back.
That sounds like a good idea. If anyone has pics I'd love to see how yours work. Also, I'm in the process of bolting on some stops at the end of the rail frames as a stop so that the carriage doesn't go flying. I will post some pics when I get back from a couple days at the in-laws.

djp

Quote from: Don P on October 15, 2020, 05:03:59 PM
To my knowledge they all have splitters and it needs to be there, good way to see how far the mill can throw a log without it.

The bearing boxes usually have wool felt in them to let oil thru but not trash and it would be a good idea to make some covers for them, oil floats on water so open to the weather those bearings are going to be lubing on water in short order..
Looks like it'll be sawing soon!
The bearing boxes too. Makes sense. Eventually we plan on moving of the barns (that's currently under the power line) over
the mill... that should help too with the rain but I love the idea of a bearing box.

mike_belben

On your phone you can get stills from vid by pausing where you want, screenshotting, [usually 2 buttons at once takes a picture of your present screen] then crop/rotate as needed.  Use any free JPG convertor app to make it a JPG then upload that image to your gallery and put the < tag > style of link in your post.  
Praise The Lord

Don P

You can see the bearing box cover in the top pic and the bottom of the wick sticking down thru the bearing shell in the lower shot.

That looks like it might be and American mill Heacock feed

moodnacreek

That arch at the setworks with link chain and sprockets is different. Is that a receder ?  Those babbit bearings and the mandrel setting outside, not good. Should be converted to roller bearing pillow blocks and perhaps new shaft.   Farm mechanic has posts on 'saw hammering' if you haven't seen it.  The mandrel, collars and bearings are everything on a sawmill. Has to be done a certain way and not cheap. Good luck, keep posting.

Gearbox

djp don't put a stop on the back of the track. At some point you are going to need to saw a long cant for something and are going to need to hang one axel of the carrage off the track . I have done it many times to saw a 20 ft 6x8 .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

djp

Quote from: moodnacreek on October 16, 2020, 08:16:54 PM
That arch at the setworks with link chain and sprockets is different. Is that a receder ?  Those babbit bearings and the mandrel setting outside, not good. Should be converted to roller bearing pillow blocks and perhaps new shaft.   Farm mechanic has posts on 'saw hammering' if you haven't seen it.  The mandrel, collars and bearings are everything on a sawmill. Has to be done a certain way and not cheap. Good luck, keep posting.
Gonna have to walk me through that a little slower. I'm learning... Got back to the mill today and turns out while I was out of town my dad wasn't explaining to one of my brothers how the system works and that chain I think you are referencing snapped. Hunting that down now to replace.

moodnacreek

A receder is some type of mechanism to throw the head blocks back to load another log after the last board has been taken off. Without this you have to jack them back by hand and that gets old. 

Southside

Quote from: Nebraska on October 12, 2020, 05:19:56 PMI don't know sickem about circle mills, but every time I see a thread like this, I catch  myself thinking "geez that's so cool"

Funny - I consider myself to be rather adventurous, ya know got paid to jump from planes, rode a few bulls - that sort of foolishness, but every time I see one of these mills I catch myself thinking "geez that's gonna hurt".. :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!