iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Weather Cooking

Started by Norm, December 12, 2009, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Gotta home cured corned beef in the crock now. Made it with London broil instead of brisket. Gonna be served with cabbage and red taters...mustard for the beef and dill sour cream and horseradish for the taters...

Might make siberian borscht tomorrow...think beef stew with beets...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Norm on December 17, 2009, 04:05:18 PM
Well I'll give you a big thumbs up for braving the cold but I'm just a bit disappointed that no offer of overnighting me some of that brisket.  ;D

I was gonna, but after having BBQ brisket sandwiches tonight there ain't much left. Both boys showed up and of course were starving, so once again the meat did not last long.

I'll have ta bring one down and we'll do it on your grill   ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Sounds good Steve. I do brisket on occasion but mine's never what I expect so a few pointers would help I'm sure.  :)

John_Haylow

I just put a beef roast in the crock pot with lots of vegetables. We must try some of that corn bread you folks south of us like. Anyone care to share a recipe?

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

jdtuttle

Cookies 8)
Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies
1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup or brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, Pour one level cup and drink.
Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another cup just in case.
Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.
Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.
Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.
Cherry Mistmas!
jim
Have a great day

Tom

Quote from: John_Haylow on December 18, 2009, 08:42:51 AM
I just put a beef roast in the crock pot with lots of vegetables. We must try some of that corn bread you folks south of us like. Anyone care to share a recipe?

John

I delved through a few and these sound pretty good.  My Grandmom's Cornbread was  boiling water poured onto water ground white cornmeal until either a thick batter or heavy dough.  Let it sit until it is cool enough to work by hand.  

If a dough, it was pushed down into a frying skillet of hot bacon grease until it was about 3/4" thick, fried, turned, fried again with a lid on the pan.  It will get golden brown in spots.

If a thick batter, it is spooned into a skillet of hot bacon grease and fried as a pone (looking like a pancake).  The thinner the batter, the lacier the cornbread.  The real thin ones with lacy edges are "lacy cornbread".  You have to whistle Dixie when you fry them.  (sometimes you have to put a little flour in there to hold it together, but she wouldn't use flour, or sugar, or salt, or eggs, or none of that stuff.  It goes back to the reconstruction days after "The" war when those things were unavailable.  Now its a "less we forget". She was pretty adamant about it.)

Fried Corn Bread
Hot water Cornbread (salt optional)  Fried or baked
Hot Water Cornbread (sugar optional) Fried or baked
basic one egg cornbread
Quick Cornbread   (?)
Cornbread with creamed corn
Johnny Cakes
Old-fashioned Corn Pone    (baking powder and salt optional - how southern are you)

John_Haylow

Quote from: jdtuttle on December 18, 2009, 11:39:46 AM
Cookies 8)
Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies
1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup or brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, Pour one level cup and drink.
Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another cup just in case.
Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.
Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.
Greash the oven.
Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.
Cherry Mistmas!
jim

That's some recipe Jim. :-\

John_Haylow

Quote from: Tom on December 18, 2009, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: John_Haylow on December 18, 2009, 08:42:51 AM

John

I delved through a few and these sound pretty good.  My Grandmom's Cornbread was  boiling water poured onto water ground white cornmeal until either a thick batter or heavy dough.  Let it sit until it is cool enough to work by hand.  

If a dough, it was pushed down into a frying skillet of hot bacon grease until it was about 3/4" thick, fried, turned, fried again with a lid on the pan.  It will get golden brown in spots.

If a thick batter, it is spooned into a skillet of hot bacon grease and fried as a pone (looking like a pancake).  The thinner the batter, the lacier the cornbread.  The real thin ones with lacy edges are "lacy cornbread".  You have to whistle Dixie when you fry them.  (sometimes you have to put a little flour in there to hold it together, but she wouldn't use flour, or sugar, or salt, or eggs, or none of that stuff.  It goes back to the reconstruction days after "The" war when those things were unavailable.  Now its a "less we forget". She was pretty adamant about it.)

Fried Corn Bread
Hot water Cornbread (salt optional)  Fried or baked
Hot Water Cornbread (sugar optional) Fried or baked
basic one egg cornbread
Quick Cornbread   (?)
Cornbread with creamed corn
Johnny Cakes
Old-fashioned Corn Pone    (baking powder and salt optional - how southern are you)

Thank's Tom, I'll give it a try, I mean Margaret will give it a try...
John

WDH

We had a pot roast with onions, potatoes, and carrots.  The gravy from the crock pot was used in relation to crumbled cornbread on the plate.  Mmmm.

When it was over, everything was all gone  :).  Now I need to go watch the news (translation:  lay on the couch with the news on and take a little snooze  ;D).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

WDH, that sounded mighty fine.  Here is what I just ate......the two egg variety of cornbread, homegrown liver and onions, homegrown turnip greens with some roots. 
My oh my was it good........

I didn't have room for desert.  I will save it for later.  A neighbor just brought over  a holiday cheer gift..... homemade pecan pie, homemade pound cake, chocolate covered pecans, pecan brittle and peanut brittle.  They got the pecans from me,  I kinda feel guilty that I got the better end of the deal ;D

Now why can't I lose weight? ;) :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WH_Conley

Bill

Norm

Well I'm here to help. Box up all of those nasty pecan morsels and send them to me for disposal.....you can thank me later.  ;D

fishpharmer

Here you go Norm.....

The pound cake was still warm from the oven last night.  I just had to have a little piece with a cold glass of milk.
Really, I only had a piece about an inch wide.   ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

beenthere

Quote from: fishpharmer on December 19, 2009, 09:26:44 AM

The pound cake was still warm from the oven last night.  I just had to have a little piece with a cold glass of milk.
Really, I only had a piece about an inch wide.   ;D

Only an inch wide..... at the narrow end... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bd354

Here's a cornbread recipe from a cooking forum I visit.

Re: BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004, 10:55am   REAL SOUTHERN CORNBREAD BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

I see a question ever so often about cornbread. Cornbread originated in the South and I'm about as Southern as you can get. First, we are not building computers here, we don't get better each year with improvements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Real southern cornbread has 4 ingredients, corn meal, egg, buttermilk, and bacon drippings. Corn meal comes either, plain or self rising, with 1 1/2 cups  of plain you have to add 1/2 t baking soda, 1 t baking powder, 1 1/2 t salt  to make it "self rising." (t=teaspoon) I prefer stone ground meal, and yellow is a plus. 

The following amounts are about right for a #5 or #6 skillet. 

Recipe: 1 to 1 1/4 cup self rising meal---1 egg slightly beaten---enough buttermilk to make a mixture that just reaches the "pourable" stage---mix well---Heat a skillet with 1 T bacon drippings melted in it until hot and pour most of the hot drippings in the mixture and mix again, then pour into the hot skillet and put in oven at 425/450. When you see the edges browning (about 10/12 min.) turn the oven to broil but leaving the temp. setting as is. (You are trying to get the top and bottom about the same color of brown)

(NOTE: If you have a convection oven it will probably brown on top without using broil) Most people like the depth of pour fairly thin for a crustier finished product. Many shapes of muffin pans work well for the same reason, and look good also. 
  In the past 20 years or so, many things have been added to cornbread, sweet milk, butter, sugar, flour, etc. THESE ARE NOT REAL. We don't grow wheat here so flour is not used. The only extra ever added was "cracklins". 
  The butter is sometimes put on hot cornbread after it has cooked. Originally the old stoves didn't have "broil" so the cornbread was turned in order to brown evenly. I have seen my grandmother,many years ago, do this on a wood stove. 
  Try this crumbled up in a glass , a little salt, with sweet milk added and you will be having a true Southern delicacy.   
  A SECOND THOUGHT: I did not write this to disagree with other cornbread recipes. I to, have added things to make "mexican" cornbread, and cheese, and other things. I only wanted to say what is original to the South, and I think, still the best. Sugar? no way,  this is not dessert but a staple to be eaten with almost everything.   
   One last note: If you are in the grocery and see something called corn meal mix or cornbread mix, DON'T BUY IT, It has all sorts of things in it that doesn't belong in cornbread---If you must get it at the grocery and not a grist mill, buy cornmeal, and self rising is easier.

I have added canned whole kernel corn. Very good.

Magicman

Quote from: bd354 on December 19, 2009, 07:36:41 PM
stone ground meal, and yellow is a plus......Sugar? no way,  this is not dessert but a staple to be eaten with almost everything.   

Tell it like it is brother......tell it like it is.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John_Haylow

Quote from: bd354 on December 19, 2009, 07:36:41 PM

Here's a cornbread recipe from a cooking forum I visit.

Re: BREADS, MUFFINS, ETC.
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2004, 10:55am   REAL SOUTHERN CORNBREAD BY: C. B. WILLIAMS

I see a question ever so often about cornbread. Cornbread originated in the South and I'm about as Southern as you can get. First, we are not building computers here, we don't get better each year with improvements. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Real southern cornbread has 4 ingredients, corn meal, egg, buttermilk, and bacon drippings. Corn meal comes either, plain or self rising, with 1 1/2 cups  of plain you have to add 1/2 t baking soda, 1 t baking powder, 1 1/2 t salt  to make it "self rising." (t=teaspoon) I prefer stone ground meal, and yellow is a plus. 

The following amounts are about right for a #5 or #6 skillet. 

Recipe: 1 to 1 1/4 cup self rising meal---1 egg slightly beaten---enough buttermilk to make a mixture that just reaches the "pourable" stage---mix well---Heat a skillet with 1 T bacon drippings melted in it until hot and pour most of the hot drippings in the mixture and mix again, then pour into the hot skillet and put in oven at 425/450. When you see the edges browning (about 10/12 min.) turn the oven to broil but leaving the temp. setting as is. (You are trying to get the top and bottom about the same color of brown)

(NOTE: If you have a convection oven it will probably brown on top without using broil) Most people like the depth of pour fairly thin for a crustier finished product. Many shapes of muffin pans work well for the same reason, and look good also. 
  In the past 20 years or so, many things have been added to cornbread, sweet milk, butter, sugar, flour, etc. THESE ARE NOT REAL. We don't grow wheat here so flour is not used. The only extra ever added was "cracklins". 
  The butter is sometimes put on hot cornbread after it has cooked. Originally the old stoves didn't have "broil" so the cornbread was turned in order to brown evenly. I have seen my grandmother,many years ago, do this on a wood stove. 
  Try this crumbled up in a glass , a little salt, with sweet milk added and you will be having a true Southern delicacy.   
  A SECOND THOUGHT: I did not write this to disagree with other cornbread recipes. I to, have added things to make "mexican" cornbread, and cheese, and other things. I only wanted to say what is original to the South, and I think, still the best. Sugar? no way,  this is not dessert but a staple to be eaten with almost everything.   
   One last note: If you are in the grocery and see something called corn meal mix or cornbread mix, DON'T BUY IT, It has all sorts of things in it that doesn't belong in cornbread---If you must get it at the grocery and not a grist mill, buy cornmeal, and self rising is easier.

I have added canned whole kernel corn. Very good.

Thank's BD354
Looks good.

John

Kansas

I think this falls under cold weather cooking. I have been looking for recipes for pork verde, or something along those lines. Never really found what I wanted, so decided to wing it today. I took some butterfly pork chops, onion, garlic and mixed bell peppers, diced em up, and cooked  those. I put a couple of poblano and jalepeno peppers under the broiler and roasted them, peeled the skins, tossed them in the pot. Didn't seem like enough, so I put in a small can of fire roasted green chili peppers. Added one can of black beans, one of white (canelli) beans, a third of a jar of salsa verde, and  one can of chipolte white corn. Tossed in a bay leaf, a few spices, and one can of chicken broth for liquid.
It worked. Love it when a plan comes together.

Norm

That sounds very good Kansas. I'm guessing you folks are getting some of the cold weather we are so it sure qualifies as cold weather cooking. :)

Kansas

It was 2 below real temp this morning, and 15 below windchill. Supposed to get to 11 today. normal low and high here is 18 and 37.
There is a reason I live here instead of somewhere warmer. I just can't remember why anymore.

Norm

Me too!

It was -19°F here this morning with the wind chill at -37....needless to say I made sure all the animals got extra rations last night. Me included!

pappy19

One big trick that I have learned on cast iron skillet corn bread is to put a half stick of melted butter into the mix. Also just before putting the mix into the skillet, have the skillet being heated on top of the stove with 3 tablespoons of oil or drippings. Sprinkle some regular corn meal (I like corse for this step) about a tablespoon around in the hot oil and let it cook for about a minute, then pour in the cornbread mix and put all into the hot oven. When done, I have an old pizza pan that I turn the finished cornbread onto. Plops right out and never sticks. All nice and crispy on the out side, then slice it like a pie, butter and you know the rest.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WDH

It was a cold and blustery day for down here.  Tonight we had venison stew and cornbread.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Any cooking you do this weekend will be "cold weather cooking."

I had ribs, baked beans, and a big fat baked sweet tater.  I ate it like Magicman, before a pic could be taken! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!