iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saiko's Georgia Brunswick Stew

Started by Norm, January 12, 2012, 02:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

There's a very talented cook on a food forum I belong to that makes an awesome version of this. Since I'm snowed in today and needed to clean out the fridge of some leftovers I thought I'd give it a shot.

I did some chicken quarters and turkey thighs the other night on my xl bge.

Sauced them heavy at the end with famous dave's bbq sauce.

Into a pot with crushed tomatoes, corn, black eyed peas, navy beans, bbq sauce, ketchup, potatoes, a diced onion and shredded meat from the chicken and turkey.

Simmering on the stove top for supper tonight.

scgargoyle

Now, if your gonna put great pictures like that up there to tease us, you should either:

1) Invite us over (preferred), or

2) Share the recipe.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Chris Burchfield

Comfort food Norm, thats what it is.  Woke up this morning and the outdoor temp was 47°F.  By lunch time it was 35°F and snowing like it was a blizzard.  All powder thank goodness.  The sun came out, the wind was blowing and evaporated what dust was left.  On her way to work, wife requested I make the Lady and Sons Beef Vegetable Soup, with buttered cornbread.  Though altered, I use London Broil or Sirloin (less fat), two 28oz. cans of diced tomatoes (wife likes em) and do not include okra (I only eat it fried.)  I don't have a picture so I provide the following recipe un-altered.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (if using chuck roast)
2 1/2 to 3 pounds beef short ribs or 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless chuck roast*
4 quarts cold water
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 tablespoon seasoned salt, plus extra for seasoning
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
2 bay leaves
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup sliced green beans, fresh or canned
1 cup frozen black-eyed peas
1 cup frozen butter beans
1 cup cut okra, fresh or frozen
1 cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
1 cup diced potatoes
1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
Chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions
If using chuck roast, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the roast in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the roast from the skillet and cut it into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes; discard the fat. Place the beef cubes in a large stockpot. (If using short ribs, you can put them right in the pot with no preparation).

Add the water, tomatoes, onions, dried parsley, beef bouillon, dried Italian seasoning, House Seasoning, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic powder, black pepper and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot; reduce the heat so that the liquid simmers, and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender. If using short ribs, remove them from the pot and cut the meat from the bones, discard the bones and fat, and return the meat to the pot. Add the remaining vegetables and the macaroni and return the soup to a boil, stirring to distribute the ingredients. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper and add fresh chopped parsley. To remove excess fat from the surface of the soup, swirl a lettuce leaf around the surface—it will pick up a lot of the fat.

*The chuck roast will yield more meat, but the bones from the short ribs give the soup an incredible flavor.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

Norm,

Wow!  Brings back memories.  Now I want some.  I have my Mother's recipe somewhere that I wrote down before she passed away.  I need to dig it out.  Nothing better when it gets cold. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Chris that sound really good! Whenever I make chuck roast in my egg I put an extra one on for just such a recipe.

Sorry I don't have a recipe for the one I made. It's pretty much just a jumble of things that I had in the fridge as leftovers and the pantry based loosely on Saiko's version of it. I also found some pulled pork in the freezer I added to it.

Sure tasted good on a cold wintery night.

Danny I'm a collector of recipes just like your Mom's, if you do find it please post it here.  :)

LeeB

We call the clean out the refrigerator kind of stew, Mulligan Stew. I'm pretty fond of recreating leftovers into something different and some how usually end upwith more leftovers than I started with.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

That looked a lot like the ham bone soup that we had last night.....and again tonight.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!