iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with 60" DBH White oak

Started by kostagr33k, January 28, 2019, 11:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kostagr33k

Hello everyone. I joined this forum as I have a 60" DBH White oak, approximately 20' until the crotch in North New Jersey. If this is not the right please please move to the proper section.

The tree is located at the back of my yard and since moving in 5 years ago has been dropping limbs more consistently. Tree appears to be 100-200 years old from various tree services. They all have been getting very high quotes to remove the tree and being told the tree will be sent to the scrap yard to be mulched due to how large it is. 

I wanted to know what my options are as in the last month I have done some research and see people who buy logs for large slabs or lumber. I found a sawmill who might be interested but not sure what the going rate per board foot would be and how I would even transport the log(s). I also found a tree climbing service that will cut the limbs and drop the trunk in one or two sections and by far the cheapest as they will leave everything behind.

Please let me know what can be done here as I would like to at least break even if possible and save the tree from being mulched.

Thank you

Kosta

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  From the sounds of your description it's possible that the tree has oak wilt or some other issue which is causing it to die off.  You really can't tell the condition of the wood until the tree is laying down and you can look at the logs so options on who might want the tree become limited when combined with it being a yard tree and the possibility of foreign metal, ceramic, bricks, missing children, and all other sorts of odd things being embedded in the tree increase dramatically.  

I think your odds of getting any money for this tree in log form are pretty slim, maybe someone would pay a little for it as firewood, or someone with a portable mill might give a little for it, but probably not going to cover the cost of having it laid down.  

One possible option to recover some of your expense would be to hire someone with a portable mill and have the logs sawn into lumber and or slabs.  There is a market for white oak lumber and slabs but you will most likely have to sit on it for a while during drying, and then will be selling an air dried product at best, so you will have more money and time invested.  Guess it depends on if that is appealing to you our not. 

Good luck with the process. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GAB

I do not purchase yard trees because you get to pay for them twice.
Once when you purchase them, and again in lost blades trying to saw them.
For a log of that size I'd be looking for a lucas or chainsaw mill to slab or saw it.
GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

TKehl

Knowing if there is equipment access to the backyard is also important.  Having to get it out with a crane is a whole 'nother level...

Sounds like if you pay the guy for the cut and drop and give away the trunk it would be a win.  

Most mills would have to split those logs into quarters with a chainsaw to handle them.  A big swingmill or chainsaw mill could do it as it sits.  My 6" Lucas could not.  (48" max)

Keep in mind 20' log with 60" diameter will weigh around 24-25k Lbs.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Tin Horse

I got into a similar job a few years ago. The guy brought 4 white oak logs 40" plus about 10' sections. Destroyed his utility trailer in the process. I found out later they came from a nearby town that hydro guys took down. He wanted it quarter sawn.
After ripping down to fit my mill (never again) I started and did the upper sections first. Four feet up on the last log I got into the metal. I did finish it because I had a pile of old blades that had come with the mill. 
I don't touch city trees anymore.
I see the value in that size of oak but at what cost. Maybe firewood for the bottom section?
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

kostagr33k

I keep hearing about metal and how everyone's afraid ! I definitely understand not wanting to ruin blades. 

I'll visit the one mill that made an offer and see if they are legit. 

Would a granite slab truck  have enough lift capacity if they were 8-10' sections ?

Worst case maybe I'll talk to the guy who would slab it for himself but not pay me. Can probably get a slab or two for myself. 

scsmith42

Your logs will weigh in the 1000 - 1200 lb per running foot range.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GullyBog

I'd say you have a best case scenario for a huge yard tree.  Great firewood even if nothing else.  Having it dropped and left might save a lot of money.  If you are willing to clean up the branches anyone will probably come and get all of the large limbs for firewood.  The huge trunk will be too much for most saws so make sure you know of a someone with a 60" bar that is willing to deal with the tree.  Make sure that they would still want it for firewood if it is defective and they can't get slabs.  It's awesome that you want to add value to the situation.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Al_Smith

Generally speaking you could chunk it up with a 36" bar .Something the size of an 066 Stihl would do nicely .

square1

Neighbor had a similar situation. She was lucky to find someone to clean up the dropped tree for the firewood.  The trunk was hollow which helped the guy blocking it up. She still had a huge mess to clean up after they hauled off the wood.  There wasn't enough good wood there to make it worth it to me.
I'd shoot for giving it away after paying soneone reputable to get it on the ground.

Thank You Sponsors!