iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seed propagation of red buckeye

Started by Lanier_Lurker, September 20, 2009, 01:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

One of my red buckeye bushes finally produced one seed pod.  I have been keeping an eye on it, and it dropped a few days ago.  It had 5 seeds in it.

WDH, I know you have propagated these around your place - presumably from seed.  The little research I have done seems to indicate that immediate sowing is the thing to do.  I am thinking of starting them in containers.

Any suggestions?

tyb525

Your buckeye must be different than ours. Ours is quite possibly the most worthless tree around here. Lightweight, can't see growth rings, no rot resistance at all, stains immedietly, small knots throughout, seeds are poisonous, etc. It also takes over and shades everything.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Lanier_Lurker

Yours are probably Ohio buckeye instead of red buckeye.  Red buckeye is more of a bush that a tree, and has wonderful red blooms in the spring that are supposed to be among the best for attracting hummingbirds.

SwampDonkey

Yes Ohio buckeye, same family as the horse chestnut, not for eating. Wood stains easy as stated, soft, light and very similar in appearance to basswood. Sometimes has a wavy grain.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

LL,

My wife is the red buckeye (Aesculus pavia) propagator!  She just plants them about 1 & 1/2 inches below the leaf litter.  They naturally stratify (undergo a cold treatment) in the ground over the winter.  Of course, she never keeps up with where she plants them, so we do not know what the germination success is.  It has to be good because we have them everywhere around the house and adjacent woods  ;D.

Here is pic of a red buckeye in flower in the front of the house. 

The shrubs under the trees in this pic are all red buckeye.  It make a nice landscape plant.  It leafs out and flowers early, but it also drops its leaves early usually in late summer because of the heat I guess.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!