iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Difference in SYP and white pine?

Started by LaneC, June 16, 2014, 11:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

Living in the South, I am assuming (I know about assuming :D) That the species we have would be considered Southern Yellow Pine. Is there White pine located here also or is it a Northern pine? I am also guessing that the wood is more of a yellow color in yellow pine, and whiter in white pine. For instance, would loblolly pine be considered SYP? I guess what I am getting at, is if there is any white pine located in the South and if so what species would they be? I hope I am asking this correctly and sure appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
Man makes plans and God smiles

PC-Urban-Sawyer

From the FF Dictionary (on menu under Extras)

-Loblolly (Pinus taeda L.), longleaf ( p. palustris Mill.), pitch ( R rigida Mill.), pond ( R serotina Michx.), sand ( R clausa [Chapm. ex Engelm.] Vasey ex Sarg.), shortleaf ( B echinata Mill.), slash ( R elliottii Engeln. var. elliottii), South Florida slash (R elliottii var. densa Little & Dorman), spruce ( R glabra Walt.), Table Mountain ( R pungens Lamb.), and Virginia ( B virginiana Mill.).

These are the species that are classified as Sothern Yellow Pines (SYP).

I'll let one of the experts (WDH???) answer the White Pine portion of your question.

Herb

beenthere

I believe if there are five needles to a bundle, then it is a white pine.

Called a "five needle pine".

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/GeneticConservation_FiveNeedlePines.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

Beenthere has it with the 5 needle per fascicle grouping.  Only white pines in the country are northern white, southern white, and sugar pine.  In the south, northern white would be found in the Appalachian mountains.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Yes, there is white pine in the South, but like Ron points out, only in the mountains and very upper piedmont.  Spruce pine, Pinus glabra (2 needles to the fascicle), looks like white pine from the bark, is not as dense as loblolly, slash, shortleaf, or longleaf (the 4 major SYP's), but the wood is stronger than eastern white pine, Pinus strobus.

You do not have white pine that occurs naturally in South West MS. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

I love this site and the knowledge that each of you share and contribute. Thanks so much for the replies, as they are exactly what I was looking for, and I am glad I found a place to ask these questions and not get laughed at :D. I called myself studying pine trees but there is so much to learn from just a few species of trees, that it is humbling to say the least. I like the Led Zepplin song which states " I often wondered, how much there is to know". When dealing with trees, there is too much for me to know :D :D. Thanks again for the input.
Man makes plans and God smiles

curdog

I know you've already got the answer on white pine, but we have natural white pine in nc, and we are definitely below the " Grit" line. On another note, in my part of the state we have white pine but very little market for the logs, and even though loblolly isn't native( to western nc) it will outgrow the white pine hands down.

WDH

Loblolly will outgrow all the other pines, hands down, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Shetland Sheepdog

Northern White Pine & Southern White Pine (Pinus strobus) is also commonly referred to as Eastern White Pine!
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

Thank You Sponsors!