iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big snow storm

Started by Bruno of NH, January 19, 2019, 01:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Big snow storm coming in tonight 12" to 24"
Got the big snow bucket,front ice chains and the fuel filled on the Mahindra. 
Are you New England folks ready ?
Then we are in for a deep freeze for a couple days. -15 to -27 wind chills.
I will be feeding the wood stove and working on woodworking projects.
It's hard moving from tool to tool with a walker.
I don't leave the house much anymore.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

breederman

Snow blower is primed and ready, firewood moved to the cellar ,and chili in The crockpot. We are ready, bring it on !
Together we got this !

hamish

I just consider it winter......no need to get ready for any particular event apart from winter, it comes every year.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

lxskllr

Not gonna get much snow here, but the cold should make work fun on Monday. Plus side, is so far, work looks easy, and I'll get some machete time killing vines. I should sell the service. Give a per acre rate, and I'll destroy every vine on it. They can then keep up with the upkeep to prevent them from taking over again. Little gives me more pleasure than killing vines.

Magicman

You be careful Jim and keep both feet on the ground.  No slipping, sliding, or tripping.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

My brother who is 81 spent 8 hours pushing back the banks on our ½ mile driveway Thursday and Friday.Used his trusty Kubota L2250 with a back blade.He said he had skidder neck today.
Tomorrow will be my all mine to plow with the Kubota L3750 and homemade Fisher plow with q/a.It's a good plowing rig with a homemade cab.I have to figure out how to get heat to my feet.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Old Greenhorn

I've been working on a long punch list since first thing this morning. This snow will be the one to shut me out from access to the mill area, except on foot and with the deep freeze behind it, I could be shut down for a while. So I had a lot to do only having just closed in the mill shed last Sunday. Build shelves and organize and hang stuff, move the generator in there, add a kero heater, just because I could. Clean up the wood piles and load what decent stuff i had on the trailer. Fold up and store tarps, skid logs over to the mill area and get them off the ground. Get the trailer up the hill otherwise it will be there until April. Load the wood into the shop and park the trailer in a safe spot for the winter. Cut and drag a log to block the skid road at the property line and make the neighbor happy (see a different thread) and relocate the trail cam to watch it. Pull out a fence by the house to make plowing easier (been on my list for 5 years now) and of course the fence is frozen solid into the ground, mixed results on that one. once my my son is done working on his plow truck I will pull the mule in and start working on a set of chains for it tonight. I also have the lumber to stack properly, it's just thrown up in the loft.

Yes, I know, I have my kero heater right next to the genset gas tank. It's OK that tank is dry as a bone.

I put in a little shelf at waist height to double as a small workbench to work on the chainsaw or whatever.

This was one of my worries for the day, pulling the trailer up with the Mule.  A fair load for the little guy on a steep grade. The mill is located abut 150 yards aft of the trailer in this photo, but is about 40 feet lower in elevation. Also, that water bar at the bottom edge of this photo was hastily built and poorly graded, that is also a challenge.

Started snowing here at 4pm local. Once the 3 young grandsons leave for the evening and we have dinner, I will go back out to the shop and get some more done. Then some quick passes with the plow before bed. Here we go again.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JV

A couple of days ago rumors were up to 18" of snow.  People were rushing to the grocery store to stock up.  The snow started this morning and is pretty much over now.  We got 4 or 5 inches with a stiff northeast wind.  More snow in front of the garage doors than in the lane.  Indianapolis got mostly rain.  Now for the sub zero temps tomorrow night.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: JV on January 19, 2019, 06:22:16 PM
A couple of days ago rumors were up to 18" of snow.  People were rushing to the grocery store to stock up.  The snow started this morning and is pretty much over now.  We got 4 or 5 inches with a stiff northeast wind.  More snow in front of the garage doors than in the lane.  Indianapolis got mostly rain.  Now for the sub zero temps tomorrow night.
AH man! You got lucky! I don't mind the cold (it IS winter), and I really don't mind the snow, but the snow shuts down my time in the woods getting things done for the most part. To hilly here to get around on my little Mule so I switch to snowshoes. If we get a deep one, I have some trees I can drop and buck for when I get the Mule back on the skid road. I could also do firewood, but am in good shape. I'll just rotate the tasks.
 There doesn't look like much chance we will get off as lightly as you did.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Chuck White

We are getting some "very light" snow right now, with -2° temp.

Don't really expect we'll get very much, less than an inch so far, but they're saying to expect up to 8 inches!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

Looks like it will turn to rain here after a few inches of snow/ice giving 46 and 50mph wind for tomorrow.

The plow truck is on empty, I might put some fuel in it just in case.

Old Greenhorn

Well it's almost 10:30 and I just quit for the day. Made a set of rear chains for my Mule and gave them a quick test run down the neighbors driveway with the plow. Seemed to work pretty good and stayed on straight. It's been snowing since 4pm but very fine snow. It's accumulating very slowly, only about 2 inches. But the rate seems to be increasing. When I cam back in from the shop I could barely find my footprints from when I went out. Temp is 18 or so and the snow is a fine powder, like sugar. Got my wood n for the evening, having a brew, headed off to bed soon. Tomorrow may be another long day. Good luck to everybody.

DelawhereJoe

The high here tomorrow 54° falling to 10° with a high Monday of 20 then back to 50 on Thursday.....its winter can't it just stay in the 30's and snow.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

low_48

Calling for a lot of ice in some places. Thought I saw a prediction of 3/4" of ice accumulation on the Maine coast. My friend always says, "People always rush out to get bread, milk, and eggs. Why do they need all that french toast during a storm?"

Dave Shepard

I cut and split a cord and a quarter this evening. That should carry me through the storm and the cold snap. I'm curious to see how much is left on Tuesday. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

"Big" snow storm is a matter of perspective, I suppose.  In the past week, just a little higher elevation from my cabin property, 70" of snow fell.  I'm guessing I got 50-60", and really wet snow at that.  More coming tomorrow. :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Chuck White on January 19, 2019, 07:01:32 PMDon't really expect we'll get very much, less than an inch so far, but they're saying to expect up to 8 inches!
Well @Chuck White , I am wondering if you still feel that way this morning. Looking at the radar for your area shows pretty consistent precip overnight and currently, but that does not tell me what is actually hitting the ground. It's been 15 hours of steady fine precip for us here and we have about 10 or more inches, 25F and fine sleet now. Looks like another 8 hours of this nonsense. I should get out and start my opening cuts soon I guess, but I am concerned about clearing it off and having nothing but sleet lay down on top and turn to ice. I don't wanna salt/sand and it's not going to warm up here anytime soon. Decisions, decisions.....

Chuck White

We have "my guess" 5 inches of new snow, we'll end up with a measurable addition of snow because it's still coming down pretty good, temp -2°!

Not always a good idea to clear the snow away if sleet is expected, wait until the sleet is done then remove the whole storm!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ed_K

Quote from: Chuck White on January 20, 2019, 08:30:56 AM

Not always a good idea to clear the snow away if sleet is expected, wait until the sleet is done then remove the whole storm!
X2 I learned this working at hwy dept. Boss would plow as long as snow was coming down. Soon as it started sleeting we'd slack off an clean it up when it stopped.
Ed K

GRANITEstateMP

Pretty big bust in my part on NH!  The weatherman was predicting 18-24 in Thursday... Yeah, might be a little short!

If I could go back in time and give my younger self some advice, I'd tell me to drop automotive and cows, study weatheweatherr.  Meteorologist, the only job where you can constantly be wrong and still collect a check every week!!!

I guess, I'll have to fire up the crockpot and get something going for tonights football game.

13 degrees, windy, sleeting here in Nottingham  ???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Ed_K on January 20, 2019, 09:03:24 AM
Quote from: Chuck White on January 20, 2019, 08:30:56 AM

X2 I learned this working at hwy dept. Boss would plow as long as snow was coming down. Soon as it started sleeting we'd slack off an clean it up when it stopped.
Ed,
That's what I was taught too!  Keep a little snow on the roads, peel it up and treat when everything is done. That's the plans for my driveways today
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Autocar

It started snowing around seven yesturday morning ,more of a flour snow all day but around dark the wind was screaming and snowing like crazy. I put more wood in the furnace around one this morning the wind sucks it right up the flue. Got the chores done then around nine I started the bobcat and cleared snow for two and a half hours. Got the wood in for the day now just enjoying the birds at the feeder.
Bill

Old Greenhorn

Man this is the heaviest stuff I remember in a long time. Took me 2 hours to get the driveways just opened up. My son plows for a living and he just came by to reload with salt/sand. He says everything is taking twice as long. Sure glad I got all the work done down at the mill yesterday, now way can I even think about plowing down that skid road. I might walk in later just to check on everything and see what I forgot. The last flakes of the even, for here, are falling now. Been up since 5, plowing since 9 and I am pooped with a lot more chores yet to go. I feel like having a beer, but that would just do me in for the day. Must press on.

Tom the Sawyer

Be careful out there, yesterday at 0550 we lost a plow driver for KDOT.  Rolled his truck down an embankment and did not survive.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

John Mc

This is my snow gauge. There was 2-3" of snow on the table before the storm started. I'm guessing about 2 feet now. The storm is still going on.

Current temperature is 8˚F (-13˚C) with a wind chill of -16F (-27C).  We're expected to hit -30F (-34C) wind chill in a few hours. Tomorrow will be even colder.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!