iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learning Curve and Limited Real Estate: VB-Milling Small Suburban HM126

Started by VB-Milling, July 26, 2021, 04:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VB-Milling

Here we go!  Took delivery today and will be documenting all the fun going forward.

To see how we got here, check out
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=115081.0

To recap, ordered a Woodland Mills HM126 sawmill on May 6, 2021 and received the mill at my house on July 26, 2021.

I ordered the following in addition to the HM126
- 1 track extension
- 1 sawmill cover
- 1 spare parts kit

Flat rate shipping and delivery by R&L Carriers with a lift gate and a pallet jack.

More to come when I start breaking down the pallet and assembling the mill.
HM126

Nebraska

Daburner87

Did they simply drop it at the curb or were they able to drop it where you needed it?  Also, how big was the truck they came in?  I'm hoping they can do me a favor and drop it in my backyard, but I got the 130Max with the XL trailer.  
HM130Max Woodlander XL

VB-Milling

HM126

VB-Milling

Quote from: Daburner87 on July 26, 2021, 06:14:05 PM
Did they simply drop it at the curb or were they able to drop it where you needed it?  Also, how big was the truck they came in?  I'm hoping they can do me a favor and drop it in my backyard, but I got the 130Max with the XL trailer.  

The driver was concerned about the transition at the end of my driveway and if his pallet jack would be able to negotiate the bump.  I asked him why he couldn't back into the driveway and he stated company policy will not allow him to put any part of the truck in the driveway.  He was able to get the pallet jack over the transition and placed the pallet where I wanted it.
The HM130MAX with the trailer package comes in at 1640lbs.  I would say the only way you're getting it to the backyard is if you have paved access that's at least 84 inches wide and a very cooperative/understanding driver.
The good news is, the cartons within the crate are manageable with a friend or two, a hand truck and/or a dolly.  The mill head is the heaviest part, but myself and one other person got it on a dolly and rolled it into the garage.  I can't imagine the HM130 mill head is too much heavier than the HM126....the engine is the same size as the one I got (14hp).
HM126

VB-Milling

Was able to stay ahead of the rain and get the entire pallet broken down and into the garage.  I had my neighbor and his skid steer lined up for tomorrow, but I'm impatient and much happier that its out of the driveway and will be dry and secure.

Very well packaged in this steel exoskelton.  The REV C 23 FEB 2021 instructions are very clear on how to uncrate the mill.  Easy to follow and logical.  There is some paint rubbed off of the mill head and the majority of the boxes were broken open, but it had a very long journey. I found some nuts and washers down towards the bottom of the crate.  I'll be taking inventory as soon as time permits.

Have a busy week and travel this weekend, I won't be back on it until next week.  Let the excitement continue to build LOL

HM126

btulloh

Piece by piece after he drops it out front. Most domestic driveways aren't built for the weight of that truck. It'll be easy, and you'll be well acquainted with the contents by the time you're done. 

Adrenaline will kick in and it'll be moved and assembled before you know it!   :)  But . . . Take your time.   smiley_horserider
HM126

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lostinmn

My condolences on the beginning of another terminal case of sawdust fever  :)

Once you are bit by the sawdust bug, the infection only grows over time!

Really though, enjoy your new toy and have a blast getting if fired up!

VB-Milling

I was finally able to start assembly on the mill. I know, I know. It's been almost 2 weeks since delivery. Best laid plans never seem to go the way we want.

Low and behold, I'm missing what's probably an entire box of hardware as it's way more than just a couple nuts or washers. I suspect a bag of hardware was forgotten at the factory. All I got assembled was the track.

Need to contact Woodland Mills tomorrow morning and see what's what. 

HM126

Nebraska

VB-Milling

As is most people's experience, the fine people at Woodland Mills were eager to help and are in possession of my parts list.  Customer service rep agreed it was odd to be missing so many parts.

She did have a good tip.  Double check the hollow bunks for parts and pieces stashed away.  Unfortunately, that wasn't my case.  I also made sure they didn't ship anything inside the mill head.  Rep confirmed they don't ship anything inside the mill head.  Also, double check all the packaging before disposal.  I had pre-assembled bolts that came undone during shipping and washers and nuts were in the bottom of the crate.

I think I'm going to make a suggestion that Woodland Mills make an effort to annotate the parts list with what's been pre-assembled.  It was quite the effort to figure out what I was missing from just the parts list.  I had to cross reference parts with the particular step I was on and use the parts list for the total count that should of been included, if that makes sense.

Also, small point of contention with the operator's manual being that I'm pedantic, the manual makes it seem like the feet come pre-assembled.  If you're assembling your own mill, obviously you're going to figure out you need to assemble.  However, the manual makes such a point of dumbing some real obvious stuff down, but then glosses over the disassembled feet.

Finally, for whatever reason, my blade came fully tensioned. New owners, check your mill head when you unpack the crate, quickly familiarize yourself with tensioning in the manual and make sure the tension is backed off.  Hopefully, there was no damage.  I only noticed yesterday.

I'll stop droning on and post some danG pics!

At a standstill for now.  Track is assembled and squared/level.  I'm missing most of the hardware associated with assembling the mill head to the carriage, so that's where I had to stop.

In the downtime, I'll further ponder my winch post design and start thinking about how to attach the track to the trailer frame.

Trailer fabrication is basically finished.  I'll leave it unprimed/unpainted for now until I'm relatively sure I won't need to weld on it.  Plan is to POR15 the trailer and topcoat with satin black.

More to come when I get my hardware.
HM126

Daburner87

Hey at least your saw pallet didn't get completely knocked over during shipping like mine.   Woodland Mills is good though they are gonna send me the missing parts, an entire jack stand is gone and one of the log dog posts is bent out of shape.  Overall happy, have to build a crane to drop the saw head on the trailer though but I will check the tension on the blade when I get home.
HM130Max Woodlander XL

VB-Milling

Quote from: Daburner87 on August 10, 2021, 01:09:45 PM
Hey at least your saw pallet didn't get completely knocked over during shipping like mine.
It might have been!  Who knows at this point. ???
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Well, first I had to look up "Pedantic" to see if that was something you had to register on some offenders list but you seem to be in the clear there. :D

Sorry about the hassle. I am glad there are people who have the skills and inclination to do this kind of detailed assembly. It is not my cup of tea. I'm of the opinion major equipment should come assembled and function tested at the factory but that is just me.

I'm looking forward to more pictures and progress reports and pictures of smiling happy faces in front of round logs that become slab piles, sawdust and stacked and stickered lumber. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

VB-Milling

Might as well show some trailer updates.  

Bearing buddies are cleaned up and ready to be reinstalled.

Round bar stock welded to the angle iron and the bottom of the fender

Matching steel pipe section welded to the spring perch bracket

Drill a hole through both the pipe and the bar, secure with a cotter pin

Fenders have been finished welded since these pictures

Both fenders are now removeable.  Just pull the cotter pin on each side of the fender.
HM126

VB-Milling

Looks like I'll lose another weekend as I haven't gotten shipment notification for my replacement hardware.

Really kicking myself for not taking inventory ASAP.  I'm sure I would have had my missing hardware by now if I had notified Woodland Mills within a couple days of taking delivery a couple weeks ago.  :(
HM126

drlewis

my woodland hm122 came preset at  25 lbs also, have  15 hrs on it and no trouble.

VB-Milling

HM126

VB-Milling

Update for anyone following along.  I talked to Woodland Mills today and the 14 - M12x80 bolts I'm missing have been on backorder.  Rather than sending out an incomplete order, they waited.  Supposed to be in today or tomorrow to the warehouse so hopefully the whole missing hardware order will ship out today or tomorrow.

Maybe making sawdust by Sept.  Considering the initial ship date for the entire mill was 31 Aug, I guess I can live with it.

I could really use the space back in my garage though....mill trailer takes up a lot of space and the tongue sticks out the door by about 5 feet.  Need the space to get back on my tablesaw rebuild.  Never a dull moment.
HM126

VB-Milling

Still waiting on the hardware, no shipping update unfortunately.

In the meantime, I had the opportunity to get some yard trees (cedar and cherry).  Tree company had a nice loader onsite so I couldn't pass it up.  Cedar is for my growing collection of logs for my pergola build.  Cherry was a bonus.  Straight as an arrow through about 9ft and then a slight bow.  Around 15ft overall.  Cedar is about the same except for the 6 footer on top.

Got some great logs and made another local tree service contact, which is always good.
HM126

VB-Milling

Offloaded and waiting on a fresh cut end and sealing.  I think I'm going to mill them right in the driveway.  Give the neighbors some entertainment....
HM126

VB-Milling

Small, but wonderful update.

My missing hardware has shipped. Exactly one month after taking delivery of my mill. This weekend is out of the question, but perhaps I'll have it by next weekend.

Check your inventory immediately upon delivery! Cannot stress it enough. I was missing 72 pieces in total.
HM126

SawyerTed

Glad you got your parts.  Hopefully the extra time has given you an opportunity to collect some logs, study the operator's manual, read up on how to saw etc.  

I paid for my mill and promptly had to have surgery on my foot (a pre sawmill existing condition).  I was supposed to be on crutches for 6 weeks, ended up being 8 weeks.  So I did a ton of reading on sawmilling, read the owner's manual half a dozen times and was able to pick some logs out of my firewood logs to practice on.  In the end the delay was healthy for a lot of reasons.  

Looking forward to seeing those cedars opened up!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

VB-Milling

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!