iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1966 230c TJ update

Started by sandersen, January 12, 2022, 02:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

I haven't been very good at documenting my progress on my 1966 230c TJ, but I thought I'd try to load up some photos.  I actually feel obligated since I really enjoy seeing photos from others on their work.  So I was feeling a bit guilty for not posting anything for a year or so.  I'm not real techy but I managed to get a few in the post.  

You guys may remember I started on this back in February of 2014.  Of course I only have weekends since I am still working (no longer logging) but I finally got it running last October.  What a day that was!  I still have to work on the fairlead, mostly now the main roller.  Had to get new pipe and bearings for the upright rollers, and the new pipe bosses, and bearings made for the big roller.  That's ready to install now.  I just finished tearing apart the winch down to the bare frame.  

Luckily it looks like the worm and worm gear are okay.  I was sweating that at 1500 bucks for the brass gear.  But the tear down is not a bad job really. The drum is busted where the cable threads through but that's an easy weld up.  I still have to fab up new fenders but I rebuilt the rear butt plate which was caved in.  I'll call Harold's and get the parts there.  I need to rebuild the valve the bank it turns out because the wince lines pump out fluid even thought the lever is in neutral.  Must be bad o-rings.  I've done so much on the old girl it's hard to keep track.  But I thought at least owed you guys some photos.  I've had a ball working on this project and of course I hope to yard twitches some day but at my age there's not guarantee.  I don't have any timber of my own, but when people ask, "What are you going to do with it?"  
I tell em it's the journey and challenge not the destination that counts.   Stay safe everyone.  

r>

"Make every step count."

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

barbender

Looks awesome! Wanna go through an old Pettibone?😁
Too many irons in the fire

Steve Crook

that is about as good as it gets.

47sawdust

Let 'er rip in the 4th of July parade.

Great job !
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Walnut Beast

Kodiakmac

I showed my wife your photos.  She gave the highest compliment possible: "Oh gosh!  Looks like a brand new toy."

Thanks to you and everyone who does this kind of stuff.  You're keeping history alive in the best way possible!
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hogdaddy

As cousin Eddie says... " thats RReallly NIcccee!
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

dgdrls

She's a dandy, 8)  nice workmanship!

353 Detroit power??

D

hacknchop

Looks really good,thank you for update.
Often wrong never indoubt

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Southside

I don't think I could put that in the woods.  Awesome job.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sandersen

Thanks fellas much appreciated.  All the hours of labor have been fun but the costs of parts over the years is....well....just the price of doing business on a a project like this. Even still, I've managed to keep the expenses reasonable (maybe not from the wife's perspective though!).  But overall she's been great. The shop is my go to place for peace of mind.  

I'm posting pictures of the winch rebuild to see if you guys agree that the worm gear is still usable.  It has some grinding on it, but I think there's enough meat on it to survive a few more years.  The worm itself looks good.  What would be the best way to touch up the brass teeth.  Emory cloth?  Whaddya think?    

Thanks again.

<b

r>

"Make every step count."

sandersen

Steve Crook, I'm in Clancy.  Small world.

Kodiacmac, Please have your wife call mine!!!  That would be a great help!  
"Make every step count."

mike_belben

Pull the brass gear and hit the toe and heel of each tooth with a scotchlock wheel on a flexible backer in a right angle 1/4" air grinder. Not quit sandpaper and not quite a polisher.  Theyll take down metal if you dwell so just touch it up and get those brass boogers blended un. 
Praise The Lord

sandersen

"Make every step count."

sandersen

dgdrls:  Yes 353 detroit.  Love that growl.
"Make every step count."

chet

A few years back, I was sittin' behind one of my grandsons lettin' him drive. He would only run about 1/4 throttle. I told him 'here's da deal, these Detroits are made ta run flat out'. His grin said it all, and I never had ta tell him again. :D :D :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Lets hear it!

I loved my time in the woods running a Detroit powered timberjack.  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kodiakmac

Quote from: Jeff on January 13, 2022, 02:24:36 PM
Lets hear it!

I loved my time in the woods running a Detroit powered timberjack.  
Indeed!  There are two engine sounds that are music to my ears: a 327 '66 Corvette with side pipes, and a 3-53 General Moaner echoing off mountainsides.   :D
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Southside

I didn't realize they came painted green.  Always thought they were designed to wear their oil on the outside to prevent rust.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

chet

It wasn't designed as a rust preventative measure, it was actually meant as a quick and easy way to know if you were low on oil. If it weren't leaking ,it was time ta add some. :)

hacknchop

My old 662 is just loud enough that my closest neighbors 1/2 mile away say they have gotten use to hearing it(they moved here from down southern Ontario about 6 months ago) now when they hear it they know I'm alright.
Often wrong never indoubt

bushmechanic

Wow sandersen that looks terrific! I started a project in 2016 and still not finished as of yet, never have time. Maybe I might get at it again as I've gotten out of the woods now and took a job a new Koiti dealership in my community. A buddy of mine always says " you got to have a plan, no matter if you finish it or not" he said it keeps you moving lol. Keep the pics coming, love your work!

tacks Y

Nice job on the cab supports. I have a 225D sitting waiting for an engine transplant. Hoping this winter yet.

reride82

Awesome Job! When you're looking to try it out, let me know. My 395xp hasn't seen much falling time lately :D

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Kodiakmac

Quote from: sandersen on January 13, 2022, 11:42:58 AM
Steve Crook, I'm in Clancy.  Small world.

Kodiacmac, Please have your wife call mine!!!  That would be a great help!  
:D :D  :D
My skidder never looked as good as yours.  And even if it did, she'd never have said anything nice about it.  

sandersen

Thanks bushmechanic.  Appreciate it. Ironically I just bought a new Kioti 45 hp fwd SE model.  
After many years of fixing old tractors I decided to go new. I gotta tell ya I think you joined a great company because that tractor never ceases to impress me. The local dealer here sold 52 last year, one a week and won a free trip with his wife to South Korea and a tour of the plant there. Good luck on the new job. 

Shoutout to Levi in Butte Montana!!
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!