iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tim-bor vs CopperCoat on Exposed SYP Frame

Started by jacobcbass, February 10, 2023, 04:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobcbass

Building a SYP Frame that will be exposed to the elements(under roof) and no ground contact(on pier brackets) in North Carolina. I plan to stain but my biggest concern is destruction of Carpenter Bees. Both Tim-bor and CopperCoat offer loads of protection but neither name Carpenter Bees specifically. Any idea why one would be a better choice than the other? Also, would you treat fresh sawn timbers prior to cutting joints if joint cutting may take months? FYI: I also plan to use AnchorSeal on ends. THANKS

Tim-bor: LINK
A preservative for protection and treatment of wood against fungal decay fungi including white rot, brown rot (i.e., Poria) and wet rots. For the prevention and remedial control of wood infesting organisms including: Termites, Drywood Termites, Wood Destroying Beetles, Decay Fungi and Carpenter Ants This product may be used for preventative treatment (before signs of infestation), for wood in existing structures and for remedial treatment of infested wood in existing structures. TIM-BOR Professional is also effective for the prevention and control of wood destroying insects such as, but not limited to, the following organisms: Subterranean Termites (Reticulitermes, Heterotermes, Coptotermes (For-mosan)), Drywood Termites (Kalotermes, lncisitermes), Dampwood Termites(Zootermopsis), Powderpost Beetles (Lyctinae, Bostrichidae), Deathwatch and Furniture Beetles (Anobiidae), Old House Borers, Longhorned Beetles (Cerambycidae), Carpenter Ants (Camponotus), Bark and Timber Beetles. TIM-BOR Professional is recommended for wood and cellulos

Active Ingredient: Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate (CAS No. 12280-03-4) . . . . . . . . . . . . . 98%

CopperCoat: LINK
Green Wood Preservative is a multi -purpose, EPA-registered, insecticidal wood preservative designed to protect exterior untreated or pressure-treated wood in below ground, ground contact, fresh water contact or above ground installations. CopperCoat prevents attack from termites and other wood boring insects while protecting against rot and decay. Its anti-wicking property resists moisture absorption through end cuts for greater control of dimensional warping, splitting and end-checking. Plus, its paintable /stainable formula makes this product an excellent preservative primer for wood roofing, millwork and trim.Prevents attack from termites, powder post beetles and other wood boring insects. Protects against rot and decay by inhibiting mold, mildew, and staining fungus growth on the wood surface. Controls moisture damage, including swelling, shrinking, warping, splitting and end-checking. Water-based formula allows for fast; easy clean up with soap and water. Transparent, natural green color can be over-coated with oil-base primer, paint or stain.

Chemical Composition/Ingredients
Copper naphthenate
001338-02-9
215-657-0

Monoethanolamine (MEA)
000141-43-5
205-483-3

Nothing is to good for the family!

Don P

This is how I checked for penetration of borate in some red oak, this is about a year after so the deep red was as deep as it was going. I used one capsule and about any solvent should work. The copper coat will be green so cutting off and just checking it. As you can see, without pressure you are not going to get deep. Buying pressure treated might be the cheaper in the long haul. 

scsmith42

I've seen carpenter bees boring into some of the pressure treated timbers on the outside of my house.  Personally I think that it's a long shot to prevent them.

BTW end sealer is typically not applied to SYP.  The sap usually serves the same effect.

And welcome to the FF! My farm is about 45 minutes away from Graham in New Hill.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jacobcbass

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 11, 2023, 04:35:24 PM
I've seen carpenter bees boring into some of the pressure treated timbers on the outside of my house.  Personally I think that it's a long shot to prevent them.

BTW end sealer is typically not applied to SYP.  The sap usually serves the same effect.

And welcome to the FF! My farm is about 45 minutes away from Graham in New Hill.
Thanks for the heads up about anchor seal and SYP! Was just about to order some. FF is a wealth of knowledge and fine community! Thanks

Nothing is to good for the family!

Al_Smith

Sevin dust using a water appllcator will pretty much snuff them .They come and go and last summer I really didn't see too many of them .
The catch 22 is carpenter bees are good pollinators for tomato plants .No bees few tomatoes .Danged if you do and danged if you don't .Last summer I had dandy vines but few tomatos .

Thank You Sponsors!