iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We got our Timber Harvester!!

Started by True North, April 04, 2009, 10:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

We purchased a Timber Harvester Mill in February.  Well, the snow finally melted enough to pull it out and take it home!  We sawed up a cedar log and had a blast.  I can't wait to get at it some more.

I do have one question.  The mill is set up so it takes water for the blade in the frame of the mill. The person we bought it from said he didn't use it because it caused it to rust from the inside out.  He had rigged a plastic jug up to work, but it leaks and is not that good.  I want t improve on this. Are there any suggestions for what we could do?

Also, are setworks available for this type of mill?

Tom

I like his idea for the lub.  The best plastic container to use is an old plastic gasoline container.  They aren't affected by the Sun like other plastics.  You can almost always find one that someone has thrown away because they lost the spout or dinged up the threads or something.

Get some plumbing and then put two valves in the delivery hose.  One to turn it off and on and the other to adjust the flow.  That way you don't have to adjust the flow every time you turn it off and on.

redprospector

I've got mine set up with a plastic radiator overflow tank for a car. I don't use water to lube the blade though. I use diesel with a little bar & chain oil in it. I use a windshield washer pump set up to squirt it on the blade.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

bandmiller2

TN,timber harvestor is a good mill,with a good operator will keep up with any bandmill even the ones with fancy electronics.Their is a sponsor here that handles parts,but the mill is pretty genaric four post with common parts.Cooks is about the same mill and can supply parts.Good advice about a seperate lube jug you don't want anything freezing in the tube.The company didn't go under for the lack of a good mill.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Who's we by the way? You will enjoy sawing lumber. What are the plans for the lumber? Been around sawmills before? Have fun! There are special fittings to go on to a jug that Tom mentioned. Go with the two shut offs,that's how mine is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TblRxDave

I used a gallon garden sprayer with two valves. A couple of pumps and I have positive water/soap mix. If I think it will freeze over night I can blow the line dry with the pump. I made a simple bracket to hold the plastic tube close to the first blade guide. I'd like to improve this with a spray that hits the blade top and bottom. I think I've seen a small machined "C" block with spray nozzles for top and bottom.
David.

True North

Thanks for the advice.

To answer thecfarm's questions:

We are my Dad and myself. We have a hunting camp that needs a lot of work, and I would like to saw siding to redo my house.  My dad is also a couple of years away from retirement, and we are going to do custom sawing.

I have a lot of friends that are involved in different aspects of forestry. Three are large mill owners.  We got this mill from my old boss and friend that sawed for me several years ago, so we are familiar with it.  I was amazed at how user-friendly it is to operate.

Thanks again

Brad_S.

I agree that Timber Harvester is a very good mill, I miss them.
The water does cause minor rusting, but nothing severe. Still, the external jug isn't a bad idea. Alternately, you could use kero/diesel as a lube as I do but that isn't a controversy to get into here.
Timber Harvester did make a setworks for their machines but they never got all the bugs out, IMO. A skilled operator could get the head into position much faster than the setworks. I'm sure, with your first logs, that the operation was awkward and slow, but with some time under your belt, you will easily adjust to the controls. Don't try to tweek to your final cut position when the head is stationary, wait until you send it in motion as the controls will be slower and easier to adjust.
Should you need parts, call Ralph or Dave at Carolina Machinery Sales, one of our sponsors to the left. I have found them to be very helpful.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

vt k-9

Hello,
 You will like the timber harvester. They are very good mills.
I have owned one for six years with very few problems.
Most of the time I saw alone and you can run through many
logs in a day. You will have fun with this mill.
                   Vt k-9

Meadows Miller

Gday

TN Congrats on the Timber harvester itll do a top job for you Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

With the water bottle i usually use 5 gal 20ltr squae water containers that come with the tap allready in them they last along time and you can take two or more with you for a days sawing  ;) ;D 8)

And welcome to the forum Vtk-9 there is plenty of good fun to be had here so pull up a pack an haveachat anytime Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

petefrom bearswamp

As far as lubricating goes, I did use an old car windshield washer system with 1/2 and 1/2 diesel and bar oil on my previous WM . worked good
Check with Chuck White who has my old mill with this system to see if he still uses it.
This worked really well for removing the build-up on the blades just prior to removal from the mill.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!