iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood Kiln built inside a steel building

Started by tjsevigny, April 19, 2024, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjsevigny

Hello all.
I am interested in building a firewood kiln inside a steel building . The plan would be to build it out of wood inside the building . I would remove the moisture from the kiln and vent it out of the steel building. I am planning on using closed cell rigid foam, but I am open to using a more appropriate insulation if recommended. 
I would be heating it with my outside wood boiler.
Are there any issues that I am not considering?
Many thanks for any advice.
I enjoy reading and learning from you all.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Sounds like an interesting project. 

Do us a favor and update your profile with some location, at least country. Will help to better understand what you are having to consider. What woods are you thinking you will need to dry? How dry are you thinking? 
You prolly already have a lot of the answers to most questions. 

Insulation that is also a vapor barrier too? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andries

There are some members doing what you want to do, and have YouTube videos to illustrate it.
I'm not sure that any of those installations are exactly what you were planning, but here is a suggested link for a Canadian couple that dry their firewood, in a kiln.
I hope this helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJpwfQ4ZZcA
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tjsevigny

Thank you for the video. Very interesting.
I did update my profile as well.
I'll keep people updated when I start the project.

jimF

one thing to think of is airflow through the pile of fire wood. When the fire wood is just thrown in the basket there is almost no airflow through the pile; the air flow around the basket not through it. Consider stacking cross wise to promote air flow through the stack.

K-Guy

First, the vents for your firewood will need to be flashed at least 3' around the opening with aluminum as the moisture will contain tannic acid. Also neither should be on the wall that gets hit with the prevailing wind.

As far as stacking the wood, generally it is just loose packed in baskets with strong airflow.

For spray foam, it must be sealed by another product or covered inside a wall. It will take on water after time, my company found that out the hard way.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!