iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 311 ?

Started by a old timberjack, November 30, 2011, 10:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a old timberjack

got a friend/family member that is in the market for a mid range saw for occasional firewood cutting. he asked me what i think of stihl 311 model? i have no clue about those small models. i am a stihl guy and i work in the woods every day, the smallest saw i have in the saw box in my truck is a 441. can you guys give me some advise on what to tell him and or the good n bads???? thanks.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Caloren

Can't really say about the 311, but have had it's predecessor, the MS310, for about 6 years now and am very happy with it. Use it for firewood cutting mostly. Came with a 24" bar [Stihl calls it 25"] and have only cut down one tree that had a diameter larger than the bar, worked just fine. I noticed the 311 now has a white handle instead of the orange of the 310, does that mean it has moved up to the pro class?
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

a old timberjack

good question. thanks for the input
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Ianab

I've also got a MS310, and it's a completely OK saw. It starts, it cuts (as long as I keep the chain sharp) and basically works "as advertised". There are better saws, but they cost more....

The MS311 is sold here as a "farmer / semi-commercial" saw. If you want it for a reliable part time firewood saw, it will get the job done just fine. It's all about the right tool for the job. Cutting trees all day for a living? Spend the extra and get a MS362 and you wont regret it. Cut firewood for a couple of weekends a year? The 311 will do the job, and keep the extra cash in your pocket.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

RobbyRob

MS311 is a good saw BUT... I bought it this year or 2011 mine is made in 2010 so I got a discount which is why I bought it. I cut log length wood, full truck loads, 20-25 face cords each want to upgrade to a pro model already

MS311 has 59cc, an upgrade to a typical firewood saw which usually goes from 45 to 55cc's. It has a bigger tooth chain than those smaller firewood saws. I am using the 20" Rollomatic, works decent, but keep it clean because it is not the Duromatic with the hardened element on it so it wears faster especially on dirty wood..

I have the saw 1 month,, I like the engine but I don't like the new design for the air filtration, looks cheap and it gets dirty fast plus when removing it dust can easily get into the carb. Also the toolless caps are a nice idea but the oiler cap is badly designed because  it is hard to clean before opening so sawdust buildup is not easy to remove before putting more bar/chain oil in, should be a quick wipe. Chances are that many MS311 owners will have issues with their oilers because of this, I haven't but expect it.

In conclusion don't buy it. Buy an upgrade pro model MS 362 (59cc) and if you can splurge on a Duro chain or two.
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

Thank You Sponsors!