iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Freak injury top this--and I know somebody will

Started by Banjo picker, January 22, 2009, 07:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I broke my right arm with a leaf blower....The doctor at the emergency room said it was the worst leaf blower accident he had ever heard of :D

Someone had given me the leaf blower and I had had it for almost a year and never cranked it. I finally had the chance to blow leaves and tried to crank it. Most engines have a rope that is around 3 feet long.... well, this one had a rope about a foot long. I gave it a 3 foot long yank and it twisted in my hand and broke my arm. Strange...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

blackoak

Well here's my unusual accident story. I at one time had a pretty nice axe collection. I had them displayed in my shop. I had a group of double bits hanging by their heads between two nails. This group was behind a cabinet that had an electrical outlet behind it. It was during the summer and was hot. I decided to plug in a fan to get some air moving. The handles of these axes were hanging down about shoulder height. I am a fanatic about keeping my axes clean and sharp. Well as I was reaching to plug the fan in my shoulder hit one of the axe handles and it knocked it off the two nails. As it fell it hit just right on the cabinet and kicked up and hit me in the throat. I felt a slight string and then a warm sensation. I looked down and the front of my shirt was drenched in blood. At the time I was home by myself. My wife was do home from work anytime. I have a mirror in my shop. I looked at my throat and went weak in the knees. I had a gash that was about 4" long and gaped open at least 2" wide and the blood was pouring out. I grabbed a roll of paper towels and started applying pressure. I called my wife on her cell phone and told her what had happened and to get home as quick as she could. She made it home in about 15 minutes. I was a sight. With a full roll of paper towels drenched in blood holding to my throat. She rushed me to the hospital. The doctor had a hard time believing my story. He kept saying that it looked like someone had slit my throat. He even said something about calling the cops. After cleaning me up he said that today was my lucky day and I said yeah right. He said really it was. Another 1/2" over I would have got my cartroid sp?? artery and that where I was and being by myself would have bled to death in minutes if I would have been cut. It took 29 stitches to sew it up. I lived and no longer hang my axes from their heads. I joke about it now about killing myself by cutting my own throat with an axe, but at the time I wasn't laughing at all.
If I would have died and not been able to contact my wife,  I don't think the cops would have ever figured out what had actually happened. They would still be looking for my killer that had slit my throat.

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to the Fourm Blackoak  ;) ;D ;D 8)   :o :) Im glad you survived to tell the tale    ;) ;D She was a bloody close call Mate

Tim Bp What did you do in the first place  ???  to get her to head on home to the olds for the night so you could work on the motorbike Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

Ive lost plenty of bark sharpening things when i was younger  ;)  :D worst was when i was honing chipper knives dang near took my rh index finger of at the first knuckel when i was about 21  :o :o :) :) ::) ::) Elec tape fixed that one too  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thompsontimber

DanG blackoak, you might just win the Freaky Accident Award! 

Banjo picker

Quote from: thompsontimber on January 27, 2009, 10:20:18 PM
DanG blackoak, you might just win the Freaky Accident Award! 

I have heard some pretty good ones ,but I am inclined to agree. 

Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 27, 2009, 10:07:58 PM
Gday
Tim Bp What did you do in the first place  ???  to get her to head on home to the olds for the night so you could work on the motorbike Mate  ;) :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

Chris

Chris its been too long ago to even rember, but it fust seemen like the thing to do at the time.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Quote from: Banjo picker on January 26, 2009, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: LeeB on January 25, 2009, 09:34:54 PM
I  just don't think I could get away with bringing a chainsaw in the house, not for sharpening anyway.

Back in my younger days, I have since learned better.  My buddy and I caught my young bride gone (to spend the night with her parents) so we brought a motercycle in the kitchen and replaced a broke ring.  Tim

Hey the tradition lives on.  Stump Jumper Jr. has got a snow mobil tore down in the living room right now .   Check out his post.  its about a present I think.    ;D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!