iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Square filed full chisel VS Round filed full chisel chain!

Started by logger, April 03, 2005, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logger

I need to know if the round filed square tooth chain is better than the square filed square tooth chain?  What would be best for hardwood?  What would work best on my Stihl MS440 Magnum?  Thanks! 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Kevin

Square filed chain is better cutting in clean wood but a pain to sharpen without many hours invested in learning the process.

fishhuntcutwood

I'll just elaborate on what Kevin said, as he's absolutely correct.  A square ground chain is more aggressive, and will eat through clean and dirty wood as well.  But a round filed chain will hold it's cutting efficiency better in dirty wood than a square filed chain will.  The round chain, is also easier to file.  If you're felling, go with square.  If you're bucking or processing wood that's been on the ground for a while, and is covered in moss, dirt and sand, go with round.  Either will work on your 440.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

logger

Sorry, I mean't to say stihl super (RS) and stihl super( L).
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Captain

Yeah, what Kevin and Jeff said  ;)

There is not much exposure at all to square ground chisel here on the East Coast.  I learned from a fellow who had a logging business in Oregon who moved to Vermont after a divorce.  There is flat out nothing that cuts a fast as square ground, and nothing that dulls as quick in the dirt. 

Another word of caution, your saw may not handle as long of a bar, or require something less than a full complement chain when using square ground.  Semi Skip and full skip chains are popular in square ground profiles for this reason.

Captain

Kirk_Allen

I have a Windsor cahin sharpener I use on all my round ground chains.  I have never seen a square ground chain so here is my stupid questoin.

Can you use a conventional sharpener that has the wheel profiled for a square grind?

If not, how do you sharpen them?

Tillaway

It is very rare to see a logging operation running round ground chain on power saws in Oregon.  It is also rare to see anyone that can file a chain around here anymore.  The cutters here use square ground exclusively and own a grinder or send chains out for sharpenning.  Very few attempt to hand file it since there is a learning curve involved and time is money.  All the shops that cater to professionals out here have good quality square grinders.  Very few have grinders for round ground.  The cutters carry several chains and swap them out when they get dull.  They grind them when they get home.  Check Baileys for the Silvi chain grinders
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

OneWithWood

I use Oregon square ground semi skip chain for falling.  I have used Stihl chain but it is hard to justify the added expense when I can get the Oregon chain for 9.98 a loop.
When the square ground eventually dulls I throw it on the grinder and grind it to a round profile.  I use these chains for firewood and yardwork.  I tried hand filing the square ground but I cannot see well enough to get the angles right.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

qatanlison

Captain,

I think running sq.ground chain tends to run smoother and more easy on longer bars because of the better cutting and less friction. Now, my longest bar is a 28" on a tuned 385XP. I only run full comp chain and I can really lean down on the saw when running it with my hand filed square chain as opposed to the more "grippy" round filed chain. Mabye your rakers are a bit on the low side?

Ola

Thank You Sponsors!