iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Went and did something I swore I would never do again!!

Started by old3dogg, December 03, 2005, 03:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3dogg

Went back to "dial up"! :( :(

Had to do it because of money. I aint got none!
$46 bucks a month for cable internet.
$15 bucks a month for dial up.

So far it aint to bad.

I guess "slow" internet is better than "no" internet?

tnlogger

hate ta hear that  I still have DSL but down graded to 384/192 at 28.50  3 MGs down here is 65.00 and i dont like speed that bad  :)
gene

SwampDonkey

My situation doesn't warrant hi-speed and I don't have access to it anyway. I have a website, but I don't need hi-speed to do maintenance. All my email gets directed to yahoo and the spam is promptly nuked and I can check for those idiots that try to email bomb me with large attachments. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

I've been using slow internet so long I can't imagine what I'd be like to have cable or a fast connection.  I do have one of them free accelerator programs that speeds things up when you click on a web page.   It has settings for low, medium, high, very high and maximum acceleration.  The high setting, which is what I usually use, only reduces image quality slightly and speeds things up on my computer an average of about 4 times faster than normal.  If i want to get a really good picture after I've opened the page I right click on it and click on refresh picture with full quality, also you can select refresh page with full quality.  I can't tell that any of the settings, even the maximum one affects the quality of printed words enough to actually notice.  For dial up, I wouldn't be without it.   :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Ianab

We have 256k ADSL, MUCH better than dialup, keeps phone line free, doesn't cost much more than dialup and easy to share between 3 or 4 PCs. We dont NEED the speed of full ADSL, but it's pretty grim going back to dial-up  :(

Ian - feeling your pain   ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

old3dogg

Dial up is a lot slower but at least I can still get on here and check things out!
Could be worse.
It seems that once I get on the FF I can move around pretty fast.
Right now I am "connected" at 26.4 Kbps? ???

Now thats wierd after 6 years of high speed!

Ianab

Now you see why Jeff keeps the photo's and avatars small and the layout simple.  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Your dialup is cheaper by $10 because we don't have competition. All our phone service was once a Crown Corporation, then the government sold us out and our rates are about the highest in the country.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ianab on December 03, 2005, 03:52:45 PM
Now you see why Jeff keeps the photo's and avatars small and the layout simple.  ;D

Ian

Greatly appreciated :)

crtreedude

Well, I am going to get killed for this - but...

In this third world country called Costa Rica I have 1024/256 K ADSL for about 48 dollars a month.

When are your first world nations going to get your act together?  ::)  :D

(Sorry guys, I just couldn't resist)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

PawNature

I got 56K when I am home which is usually weekends. During the week I get High speed wire less at the motels.  Makes me want to stay on the road sometimes. NOT :D :D
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

SwampDonkey

According to most people in Eastern Canada (Ontario , Quebec) the Maritime provinces are third world, backward, always looking for handouts, behind the industrial revolution.  ::)

Paul_H

I see Greenland is classed as a 3rd world country.Who'd a thunk it?

Map Link
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

crtreedude

SwampDonkey - just tell them to hold their breath in the big cities - after all, they don't produce any...  ;D

crtreedude

They can stop eating too now that I think about it...

Riles

Huh, I've heard parts of Louisiana called third world, but I get 5Mbps down and 512Kbps up for $40 a month.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Modat22

I have dsl, its expensive where I live at the moment at 75 bucks a month for 768 speed. I hope that verizon wireless internet heads down here soon. Wireless router is great though I can pack my laptop in the bathroom now and read all these posts instead of reading my normal reading material
remember man that thy are dust.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

^^^^^^ I don't think we needed to know that :P smiley_computer_monitor smiley_airfreshener smiley_grin
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Modat22

awww come on.. it lessens the clutter on the bathroom floor.
remember man that thy are dust.

srjones

QuoteIn this third world country called Costa Rica I have 1024/256 K ADSL for about 48 dollars a month.

When are your first world nations going to get your act together?

Perhaps when our telecommunication companies (and their lobbyists) stop thwarting new technologies like BoP and WiMAX and we stop outsourcing IT jobs to India and Costa Rica.

Sorry, couldn't resist...  :D
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

ARKANSAWYER

Not sure what you guys are talking about but I for one am glad that I do not have to climb the pole to answer the phone.   It would be  hard for me to hold the computer up there.   We're so far behind that when on the radio it says at the tone it is 8 am, it's pert near 5 after at my house. ::)
ARKANSAWYER

iain

"We're so far behind that when on the radio it says at the tone it is 8 am, it's pert near 5 after at my house. "

Arky are you sure thats just a tekolgy thing? 8)

crtreedude

Well srjones,

They are outsourcing to us because we are more technologically advanced...

And if you believe THAT....  :D

It is actually called a leap frog - because we didn't have much to begin with, when it does arrive, we have the current stuff - in the USA, because it already had the investment, the bean-counters want to get as much use out of it as possible.

Those who get it last, tend to get the best.

WiMAX is cool - we will probably get it over most of Costa Rica before it covers a similar percentage of the USA - that is because we are the size of West Virginia and it is a profit maker for the Costa Rican government for tourism. The plan is for 90% coverage in a few years. The reason it is easy is that Costa Rica has pretty good coverage for cell phones.

I can't wait for high-speed internet on the tree plantations - I'll never come home!

old3dogg

I was going to go the DSL route but found out that I had to sign up for 2 years?! I dont commit to anything past a few weeks let alone 2 years.

As money allows I will go back to cable. Our cable company has sold out and I hear that in February our cable rates are supposed to go down.

For cable tv and internet I was paying around $100 per month! Something had to give.

So far this dial up isnt to bad. Some pictures are a little "grainy" but I can live with that.

pigman

Quote from: old3dogg on December 04, 2005, 11:50:45 AM

So far this dial up isnt to bad. Some pictures are a little "grainy" but I can live with that.
I don't think dialup affects the quality of the downloaded pictures. However, it  does teach a person patience when someone has several 30k bytes pictures to download. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!