iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reid Crosby ....?????

Started by Dale Hatfield, December 04, 2005, 09:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Hatfield

I was a watching 60 Mins. Tonight  and  old  Andy  Rooney  done a spot on his desk.  Walnut forked  sawn slab. Looked like it Had wood  legs. Is was it yours?

Other question. On the TV show   ya sawed a slab  but it wernt  the one you made desk  from.  How do you dry the slab to prevent splitting and checking?

Dale Hatfield
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Ironwood

Dale,

Yes, you are correct the one cut was not the one worked (they twisted my arm on that one) the folks like to use TV magic I guess, and your not the first one to ask that. Good Eye!!!  Cracking is always a problem. Air drying at length and then kilning is the best practice, although the bugs love sapwood and it is a never ending battle. I bake them in my wood oven before building. Some woods hold up better than others in large slabs. Hit and Miss mostly and cutting lots of wood and playing the averages.

Andy Rooney, the great satirist, and scruge that he is loves unique wood. I read an article about his cool wood hording habits (we all suffer) and , no unfortunately it was not one of my works. I believe HE made it in his shop at home in New England. GOOD for him, I love that guy!!!!

Thanks for your interest, Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!