iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another new guy

Started by seabeejohn, May 12, 2018, 10:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seabeejohn

Hello all.
I'm new to the forum, new to milling, new to owning/operating/building a bandsaw mill.  I'm not new to wood... 25+ years as a carpenter/cabinet maker.  I made a career change a half dozen years ago and entered the world of mechanical engineering.

I purchased 40 acres just inside Superior National Forest in Northern Minnesota last year.  Raw land, plenty of old growth pine, birch, maple, & tamarack (larch).  I'm developing the land for personal use and figured what the hell... I'll build my own mill.

I'm 80% on the build.  Just the important parts left.   Blade guides, drive train engagement, and blade sizing... as well as all the gear I need to hold and orient the logs.

On the subject of blade guides... I've seen the bearing captures & the steel flanged roller style.  From here I've learned that I should probably use the bearings because I'm using pneumatic trailer tires for blade wheels. I do have a question though... is there anyone out there using UHMW blocks for guides?  I've done a fair amount of machine design and building for automation, and it's always been a reliable bearing surface.

On Drive train engagement... I have a v-belt driven system... I'm wondering if anyone uses an electric pto (like you might have on a riding lawnmower).  I'd like to know the pros/cons.

Blade sizing:   You fellas running pneumatic wheels... how did you size your blades?  Deflate and measure? Inflate and subtract a percentage?

Just a few things to ponder on a Saturday night by the bonfire.

Cheers!
John

Southside

Welcome to the forum John and thank you for your service.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

York model 210 AC compressors have a very robust double sheave electric clutch. Its a tapered inner hub that i believe is keyed.. but not a hard thing to machine with a lathe and mill.  Just wouldnt be able to slide it down the shaft for belt alignment.  Youd also need to provide a good bit of 12vdc to keep it pulled in.  

Many a mower deck is engaded by the much simpler back side idler on a bellcrank arrangement.  
Praise The Lord

Den-Den

Quote from: seabeejohn on May 12, 2018, 10:32:53 PMBlade sizing: You fellas running pneumatic wheels... how did you size your blades? Deflate and measure? Inflate and subtract a percentage?

I measured while the idle wheel was fully retracted and again while it was fully extended.  The blade has to be longer than the first measurement and shorter than the second measurement.  I keep the wheels fully inflated and don't change the air pressure.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

firefighter ontheside

Welcome aboard John.  I love northern MN.  I've spent a lot of time in the arrowhead.  My log home came from Grand Marais.  Enjoy the site.  I know I do.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: seabeejohn on May 12, 2018, 10:32:53 PMOn the subject of blade guides... I’ve seen the bearing captures & the steel flanged roller style.  From here I’ve learned that I should probably use the bearings because I’m using pneumatic trailer tires for blade wheels. I do have a question though... is there anyone out there using UHMW blocks for guides?  I’ve done a fair amount of machine design and building for automation, and it’s always been a reliable bearing surface.

On Drive train engagement... I have a v-belt driven system... I’m wondering if anyone uses an electric pto (like you might have on a riding lawnmower).  I’d like to know the pros/cons.

Blade sizing:   You fellas running pneumatic wheels... how did you size your blades?  Deflate and measure? Inflate and subtract a percentage?

Just a few things to ponder on a Saturday night by the bonfire.

Cheers!
John
John,
I'm now using Cook's flange rollers and really like them.  I started with just plain ball bearings but they kept failing when I use lube (water).

Now on my third motor.  Started with a 2.25 electric (dc), 7.5 gas and now a 18hp garden tractor twin engine.  This engine has an electric clutch - wouldn't switch that out for anything!

Blade sizing.  I started with the cut size I wanted, found some donut spare tires (21.5" dia) and calculated how long a blade I needed.  Turned out to be a standard size WM blade.  I'm using 1.25" blades with a 7 degree tooth.  With a new blade, cutting 24" width is not a problem.  It does leave a lot of sawdust behind.  I push my head until the engine just starts to bog so I know I'm cutting as fast as it can.

Holding logs - here is my second iteration - copied from another member.  They work great.

Last upgrade is a wheelchair motor to raise and lower the head.  Wow - what a great time-saving feature!

Post some pictures when you can, and welcome to the forum!
John
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

The title of this topic is NOT OKAY.  I am going to change it.  I'm going to welcome the new guy and I am also going to say, please read the rules of this forum.  This forum is a family friendly website and we take that very seriously. I figured that is what the title meant but was asking to be sure.  I removed my question and the ensuing response as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

seabeejohn

Hi Jeff,
I apologize for the "inappropriate" title... I guess "friendly new guy" isn't acceptable.  I'll have to learn the lexicon.  In the future, I'll do better to leave no room for interpretation.

Jeff

Quote from: seabeejohn on May 16, 2018, 12:48:23 PMI guess "friendly new guy" isn't acceptable.

That would have been more than acceptable. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!