iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Splitting Has Begun

Started by J 5, May 19, 2019, 12:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J 5

Got started on the wood today, want it done before the hot weather in july . Although the roof addition of last year helps with the sun .
                                                                     J 5

Andries

Very nice setup J5!
It looks like a long splitter and a Bombardier Muskeg(?) with a grapple trailer.
Your gallery doesn't seem to show the pictures that you've posted in the past, which seems weird to me . . .
Care to throw a few more photos up?

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

sprucebunny

I want to know more about that splitter !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Southside

Quote from: J 5 on May 19, 2019, 12:38:15 PMwant it done before the hot weather in july

Oh, how I miss those days....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Come visit MN, Southside! We seem to be stuck in early April, highs in around 40° the last couple of days👎
Too many irons in the fire

J 5

No regrets on buying the 1700 Hardy loader, with extend, giving it a 20 foot reach, which seems never enough . I fabbed a basket for the operator and mounted it on my Muskeg after it's rebuild .

A crank driven pump powers the clam and winches, a trans pto powers the wood splitter and chain driven hyd gate to push the wood toward the 4 foot splitter. The splitter can follow the trailer , with the wheels mounted the original way, by an articulated joint if I have to travel through gates or swung into position, with the wheels at the ends to split, ending up 13 wide.
                This setup works for us, the trailer was a low budget project and was something whipped up on short notice. Been 5 years , other than a roof, not much has changed on the setup.
                                           J 5

47sawdust

Man I love this forum.The creative talent here is remarkable.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Andries

Quote from: 47sawdust on May 21, 2019, 03:38:46 PM
Man I love this forum.The creative talent here is remarkable.
I'll second that!
J5 - the four foot splitter is that long because of your OWB firebox dimension?
. . .and the wheels on the splitter are switched from the square side tubes to the square end tubes for splitter use behind the moving tailgate wagon?
Wow!
Ingenious and clever and talk about an 'thinking outside of the box' solution !
Hats off !  8)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

47sawdust

Who holds the splitter up when you swap the wheels? I want to be on his good side. ;D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

J 5

Yes , this is a great forum, hardest part was mastering the posting pic riddle ( for those of us that are computer  challenged ).
       The four foot splitter was built about  15 years ago by a buddy and I to feed our 450 Empyre furnaces, we man handled the cylinder on a hand truck through a hundred yard obstacle course at the local junk yard. Back then we were both splitting wood our own way, my buddy would put it on a clam trailer and myself I had a boom with electric winch and tongs mounted on the splitter. So the wheels would come off and on depending, either way its now set up like this and my young lads split my buddy's wood for him . Not to much physical work involved doing it now this way , so I think its as good as it's going to get , don't want to go back to the previous way we split,... but they were fun times.
                                                                 J 5

jmur1

Easy does it

J 5

Finished up splitting , will have to measure up to see where were at, probably get some soft wood later on in the summer. 22 hours of splitting time, we missed one weekend due to a break down. I had to make up 2 new shafts, both got bent from a jammed block, added a couple pillow blocks and turned down the relief valve at the same time.
                J 5 smiley_smash

hedgerow

J 5 
Those stacks of split wood is looking good. That's one thing about processing wood you find the weak spots on your equipment. 

J 5

Well , I guess the splitting isn't over yet. Got some free wood from the neighbor, as he cleans up his land, mix of elm ,maple and some ash, so going to have to get cracking.
                  J 5 ;D

J 5

My 83 year old father in the zone , happy with his stihl saw and international tractor , blocking his wood . The newer generation, can't even come close to that work ethic !
                                            J 5

thecfarm

Well first off,you have to get up before 11 am to do a days work. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

J 5

Started splitting last weekend, around 7 hrs, hope to finish this Saturday,maybe another 5 hrs. Great weather , no bugs , no snow , my favorite time of the year.
                                                              J 5

petefrom bearswamp

Maybe a lot of Youngins are lazy but my 28 yr old grandson is a regular dervish when it comes to work of any kind. 
Me not so much as when younger.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

NORTH

You all have some nice set ups. I get by with my old woodbooger ways but that machinery would make life a lot easier. 
Husqvarna 346xp, 350, 365, 372XP
Stihl 009L

thecfarm

@J 5  nice set up.
Did not see any pictures in this thread. Do you haul a trailer behind that and load that with the loader?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

J 5

The wood splitter stays at home, ever since I finished the Muskeg /loader. Now that I can load the trailers with it , I don't  have to split away from the comforts of home.
                                                              J 5

thecfarm

Magicman

I agree with Ray above.  You have quite an operation and the pictures are very descriptive.  Thanks.  Me thinks that I am glad that I don't have to deal with all of that white stuff.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

J 5

Finished splitting yesterday, just in time as it is a wet one today. The wood splitting is offficially licked for this year . smiley_smash

J 5

Looks like you can never have to many dog pics !   J5

Andries

Everyone needs a good logdog in their life.
                      running-doggy 
Have a warm winter.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!