iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trout fishing Maine

Started by K-Guy, July 15, 2020, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Guy

Would any of you Mainers on here care to mention good lakes for rainbow or brook trout fishing in Central/ Northern Maine?
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

You don't have time to go trout fishing, you have work to do!   ;D :D

If you want to go fishing, come down here and we'll catch some Guntersville Green Trout.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Square lake just outside of Sinclair, absolutely slamming brookies. This year head north and west, drown worms in bogans along the St John. The Big and Little Black rivers hold awesome native square tail. What's a "rainbow" trout?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I believe your native trouts will be brown and brook.  Rainbows may have been introduced.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

They are plentiful here, my favorite gamefish. They really put up a fight. ;D @K-Guy knows all about them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

K-Guy

Quote from: Southside on July 15, 2020, 11:02:45 AMWhat's a "rainbow" trout?

It's an imported species from out west. One of the most fun trouts to catch.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

Oh, so it's just another type of bass. ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

K-Guy

Far better than bass and harder to catch. They have a habit of jumping out of the water when hooked and working the hook out with the re-entry impact in the water.
Nyle Service Dept.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

I'm happy to catch any kind of trout.  Of course none are native in MO, but we have numerous streams with brown and rainbow introduced.  Many have become wild.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

We fished Montauk State park on the Current while I was growing up, some of the best fish were down stream outside the park.  There was a baseball camp owned by my highschool science teacher adjacent to the down stream side of the park.  Handy.  Wild fish never were very big back then, but a 6 incher on a light fly rod was a fun day.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Nebraska

Fished Montauk in veterinary school a couple times, scratched an itch as it was tough to get to Colorado or Wyoming on a students budget. I actually may get some trout fishing in Next weekend, if the stars align right. Going to be a few days in Colorado. 8)

JJ

Brown trout is not native to Maine, stocked.   Rainbow I do not think are stocked in middle to northern Maine due to concern about damaging the native brookies.

Since you are in Bangor (I lived there 25 years ago), try the Sunkhaze Meadows (stream) off the Stud Mill road for native brook trout.
It's brush and canoe fishing.   I have caught many there, wear a good bug net, flying blood suckers are fierce, a good sign for trout.  

You haven't mentioned if you had a boat, or how far you are willing to travel.   Lakes/ponds around Bangor are shallow and boggy, don't think hold trout, but spring fed streams will.

JJ

YellowHammer

Quote from: K-Guy on July 15, 2020, 02:48:26 PM

Far better than bass and harder to catch. They have a habit of jumping out of the water when hooked and working the hook out with the re-entry impact in the water.
Shoot, we stock rainbows and browns below the dams in the tail race here, along with catfish and similar stuff.  My biggest brown trout was over 3 pounds caught below Tim's Ford in Elk River, on a little spinner, about 30 minutes drive from my house. The biggest brown from that river is over 6 pounds.  It was a very well mannered fish, very polite when I let it go.  It was, after all, a civilized trout.  

In contrast, the southern largemouth bass in this area are so aggressive there's stories of them jumping into the boat, pushing the fisherman into the water, and slamming down the throttle and driving off.  That's why we have to wear kill switches hooked to us, we don't want to lose our boat.  I've never seen it, but I've heard the stories.  Remember the scene from Jaws when it jumped into the boat?  Just like that, only with a southern accent.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

firefighter ontheside

@Nebraska 
@Texas Ranger 

I grew up fishing Montauk.  Probably caught my first trout and my most recent ones there.  Ive fished in just about every trout location in MO.  Nebraska, did you go to school at Rolla?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

If there was cold water and trout, we fished there

KEC

Brown trout (sometimes reffered to as German Brown Trout) were brought to North America from Europe.

Mad Professor

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on July 15, 2020, 01:29:37 PM
I believe your native trouts will be brown and brook.  Rainbows may have been introduced.  
All brown trout in North America were introduced from Europe

Nebraska

@firefighter ontheside  ...No it was U of Misouri -Columbia, I've got a nephew headed there and a neighbors daughter plays ball there. Trying to get my Senior in high school to be to take a look. Rolla is a good school for science and tech stuff. Fished Bennet Springs and Taneycomo as well. Got a Colorado atlas on the chair with me right now pondering a couple streams. 

Mad Professor

Quote from: K-Guy on July 15, 2020, 08:55:10 AM

Would any of you Mainers on here care to mention good lakes for rainbow or brook trout fishing in Central/ Northern Maine?
Not a Mainiac but I've been up in paper country/Allagash.
Snake pond, Chandler lake, Spring pond, big lakes on the west branch Penobscot and Allagash rivers.
Camping or getting a reservation at a camp is recommended.
We've got nice brookies in Vermont too

barbender

Yellowhammer, that's pretty rich!😂 It kind of reminded me of an old Patrick McManus piece I read as a kid. He was describing how the names of some of the new colors of plastic worms would make you worry about being out alone with them😂
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

That's quite a compliment, I loved to read all the McManus pieces, he had some of the greatest tongue in cheek stories.  I learned everything I know about Northern trout fishing from his characters Rancid Crabtree, Crazy Eddie Muldoon, Retch Sweeney and most importantly, his dog Strange.  So Stan, if you need more advice form me about northern trout fishing, you know where I get most of my information. :D

I also grew up reading Bassmaster, and the adventures of Harry and Charlie, with their Southern take on things.  We used to go watch the Bass tournaments, they always came here to Guntersville, and got introduced to Bill Dance when I was about 15, when he almost knocked me off the dock running back to his boat.  He had gotten all the way to the weigh in stage where Ray Scott was on the microphone, and they realized he had left one of his bass in his boat, still in the livewell.  So he came back, running and thundering down the dock like a Tennessee hatted bowling ball, and if he hadn't grabbed me by the shirt, I would have ended up in the water.  One of my best memories.  

From my previous post, I'm a little surprised that nobody has asked what a bass with a southern accent says before he knocks a fisherman out of his boat and drives off with it.

YellowHammerisms:

Texas Ranger

Nebraska, i was only 25 or so years ahead of you at Mizzou.

Nebraska

Git yer (donkey) outta dat  boat!..... Probably  says "thank you"  as he blows prop wash over your face and takes off with your missus.

We have the more civilized small mouth version up North on the river.  You may ask why more "civilized"???..... Obviously ....

Less "Mouthy!"

Ok I'm going to get to work before I get sent to the woodshed for bad dad jokes....

Nebraska

@Texas Ranger ...25 years a mere moment anymore it seems. Grow up in Missouri?

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Nebraska on July 16, 2020, 08:47:03 AM
@Texas Ranger ...25 years a mere moment anymore it seems. Grow up in Missouri?
High school and college, rest of the time all over with my pilot dad.  Stayed at Stone House.

Thank You Sponsors!