iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trout fishing Maine

Started by K-Guy, July 15, 2020, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Guy

@YellowHammer
In BC where I was before Maine you can get rainbows over 20 lbs. My best would be around 5 lbs but even small ones can be fun.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Nebraska on July 15, 2020, 10:57:45 PM
@firefighter ontheside  ...No it was U of Misouri -Columbia, I've got a nephew headed there and a neighbors daughter plays ball there. Trying to get my Senior in high school to be to take a look. Rolla is a good school for science and tech stuff. Fished Bennet Springs and Taneycomo as well. Got a Colorado atlas on the chair with me right now pondering a couple streams.
Gotcha.  I'm not a huge fan of Bennett, but have fished there numerous times.  We fish in Taneycomo at least once a year.  We've caught some big trout in there.  Brown and Rainbow.  The only trout fishing ive done in CO was around Durango and maybe around Estes Park when i was a kid.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

Quote from: K-Guy on July 16, 2020, 09:06:42 AM
@YellowHammer
In BC where I was before Maine you can get rainbows over 20 lbs. My best would be around 5 lbs but even small ones can be fun.
A rainbow over 20 lb is a steelhead, it will give you the fight of your life but fishing is severely restricted. Angling on the Thompson, one of our best rivers, has been closed to steelie for years. Even catch and release is not allowed. Bass have appeared  in some of our waterways much to the dismay of fisheries officials, they raise havoc with trout and kokanee (a small landlocked salmon) habitat. K-Guy, I am waiting for the Shuswap to drop so I can get a line in. Just thought you would like to know. ;D 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

YH, I used to live on McManus books when I was a kid. His tongue in cheek style and the play on words he often used, mixed with outdoor stories, just really touched my funny bone😂 I have no idea what your southern bass said😊
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

"They shoot canoes don't they?" ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

K-Guy

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 16, 2020, 11:05:50 AMA rainbow over 20 lb is a steelhead

@sawguy21
Sorry to correct you but a Steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout, often over 20 lbs but Some regular landlocked rainbows have been caught over 20 also. Often at large remote lakes, James Lake comes to mind.
The unofficial record for rainbow trout is estimated at 53 lbs. It was caught in the 1920's and experts came by the weight from a photograph of the monster caught in Kootenay Lake.

Before I got married I was a bit of a fanatic fishing for "bows" year round.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

"They Shoot Canoes" is one of the best books ever written, well up there with "War and Peace", and another book I read, but I have forgotten the name, although it was pretty thick and didn't have any pictures.  But it was a good one.

Before a mean ol' southern bass tangles with a fisherman, he'll look around at his possee of schoolies hanging around the pads, turn his hat backward, spit out his chaw of milfoil, suck down his last watermelon flavored Berkley Power Bait, and say "Hey ya'll, watch this, this is gonna be good."

We have some of the best smallmouth fishing in the country here, don't forget the world record was caught in Tennessee, and they are the closest things to hyperactive fish ninjas I've ever messed with.  They are like little Bruce Lee's pumped up on caffeinated a power drink, they'd cut ya with a knife then kick ya 30 times before you could blink if you'd give them half a chance.  They are sticks of dynamite on a string, you hook them in 20 feet of water and they scream straight up out of the water like a Polaris missile.  As @Nebraska says, (I like the joke) they are less mouthy, but tough as nails.

I've never seen a brook trout, they sure look pretty.  We don't have brooks here, I'm not sure how north I'd have to go to where the "cricks" turn to "brooks".  If I ever get up norther, I'd like to catch brook trout, I'll bring my Wal Mart fly pole and duck hunting waders and wade out into one of them brooks.  Do I need a creel?  I'm not sure what it's used for, but it sure looks fancy in the fishing magazines.  How many beers will fit in one?  Oh, I guess I'll need one of those little hats with all the fuzzy lures sticking out of them.  Down here, we use tackle boxes, but I am, if nothing else, open to other cultures and adaptable.   :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

YH, the real Brookie fishing, ie natives, involves crawling under the nastiest batch of wild raspberries and blown down alders one can possibly fit through, only to find an open hole 15' across, and while swatting away mosquitoes, noseeums and deer flies you manage to drown a worm on your Zebco 202, because it's the only reel that will survive getting into the fishing hole. Pull out a few 10" fish and you have earned a meal fit for a king. 

The adventure really is in getting there. Never once did I see any of that fancy LL Bean stuff be of any use fishing square tail like that. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

JJ

Yes @Southside,
To bring this back to Bangor Maine, what you describe is what I remember; busting brush.
didn't see any LLBean fly fishermen there.   Those $300 9' fly rods would not get to the fish in one piece, so they fish the 'no catch zones'.

JJ

Southside

Yup, grew up doing that in The County. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Southside on July 16, 2020, 07:27:31 PM
YH, the real Brookie fishing, ie natives, involves crawling under the nastiest batch of wild raspberries and blown down alders one can possibly fit through, only to find an open hole 15' across, and while swatting away mosquitoes, noseeums and deer flies you manage to drown a worm on your Zebco 202, because it's the only reel that will survive getting into the fishing hole. Pull out a few 10" fish and you have earned a meal fit for a king.

The adventure really is in getting there. Never once did I see any of that fancy LL Bean stuff be of any use fishing square tail like that.
I did this exact thing catching  brooks on the north shore of Lake Superiror in Minnesota.  They were tiny, but pretty.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

sawguy21

Quote from: K-Guy on July 16, 2020, 03:57:19 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on July 16, 2020, 11:05:50 AMA rainbow over 20 lb is a steelhead

@sawguy21
Sorry to correct you but a Steelhead is a sea run rainbow trout, often over 20 lbs but Some regular landlocked rainbows have been caught over 20 also. Often at large remote lakes, James Lake comes to mind.
The unofficial record for rainbow trout is estimated at 53 lbs. It was caught in the 1920's and experts came by the weight from a photograph of the monster caught in Kootenay Lake.

Before I got married I was a bit of a fanatic fishing for "bows" year round.
I am aware of that, I think you misunderstood me. The steelhead is a large sea run rainbow, the kokanee salmon is land locked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside on July 16, 2020, 07:27:31 PM
involves crawling under the nastiest batch of wild raspberries and blown down alders one can possibly fit through, only to find an open hole 15' across, and while swatting away mosquitoes, noseeums and deer flies you manage to drown a worm on your Zebco 202.
That sounds like fun, much better than when I tried ice fishing.  When are we going?  I'll pick up K-guy on the way and we'll fly in on the Nyle corporate jet.  Stan, if you bring the worms, I'll bring the Zebycos.    

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Southside

We're gonna need to put some pontoons onto that jet.  There isn't hot top for 90 miles where I am talking about. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Another book I really enjoyed, and the stories were (I think) based slightly more in truth than McManus' tales, is titled "The Adventures of Jackpine Bob". He was a newspaper editor in Ely, MN after moving up there from Illinois. He had some of the most humorous true outdoor stories I've ever read. Like a McManus work, it is a collection of short stories.

barbender

Sorry, it's "Tales From Jackpine Bob" by author Bob Cary.

WDH

Zebco 202?  Oh my, that brings back so many memories of my youth catfishing at the Henson Pond's which cost $1.00 per day. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Nebraska

Not a 202 (I am a 33 fan mysel ;))
New Brook trout (mostly) rod, my son gave it to me for my birthday.  Colorado had a regulation if bookies were less than 8 inches you could keep 6 or 8 (I don't remember) One of the best meals hands down is lightly breaded salt and pepper seasoned smallish bookies died in bacon grease and fried potatoes  and oinions.  This is the outfit I would use if I were crawling through willows and stuff to get to the beaver dam' S and pools of a really small stream.  I have a packable 4 wt fly rod as well,  both work for flipping hoppers into holes and such. Not exactly Maine but definitely brook trout related. I counted the McManus books and I have 5 on the shelf. 

Southside

Always forced myself to read the entire Outdoor Life when it arrived each month before I read the Last Laugh or there was a good chance I would not read a fair bit of the magazine if I had read McManus first.  

That and the daily Far Side calendars, never could get enough!! 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

I read years ago somebody had caught the state record largemouth in California on a 202 reel. It broke on him and he pulled the fish in hand over hand. I gather the company did not give him a job pushing their reels for them.

I started on a Zebco 22. Push the button on top then thumb against the shiny spinning face. You could feather the speed of the cast with your thumb. I had it on about a 3' fiberglass rod. Once while fishing with my dad and brother we got the old wooden boat positioned so I could make a long cast so I let fly with a bomber lure as hard as I could and waited, and waited for it to land. It never did. I turned around and found it was hung in my dad's lower jaw. I just busted out crying because I knew I was never going to get to go fishing again. My dad or brother could not pull it out and dad spotted a turkey hunter walking back to his truck and he got him to pull it out. Seems there was a chink of jawbone left on the barb. It was not my finest hour. :(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: barbender on July 16, 2020, 11:31:27 PM
Another book I really enjoyed, and the stories were (I think) based slightly more in truth than McManus' tales, is titled "The Adventures of Jackpine Bob". He was a newspaper editor in Ely, MN after moving up there from Illinois. He had some of the most humorous true outdoor stories I've ever read. Like a McManus work, it is a collection of short stories.
Wow.  I will have to look for that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

Me too.  I'll look for it.
YellowHammerisms:

terrifictimbersllc

Haven't caught any rainbows in the Maine lakes I've fished

Moosehead lake-brook trout, landlocked salmon, lake trout
Cupsuptic and Mooselookmeguntic-brook trout and landlocked salmon

This one from Cupsuptic.  All lake fishing is trolling for us. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

firefighter ontheside

Whoa.  Thats a nice brookie.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I just ordered "Tales from Jackpine Bob" on Amazon.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!