iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment moving question

Started by Bruno of NH, March 09, 2020, 06:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Equipment moving question
The Farmer I saw things for went and picked up my 974 bobcat.
He won't tell me what to pay him.
He said he's never done it for anyone before.
It was 72 miles one way.
So he went 144 miles
Around 4hr total of his day when all said and done.
What should I pay him ?
I want to be fair.
I don't want to be know around town as the cheap fat guy that owns the sawmill :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mills

I would guess between $300 and $400.  

nativewolf

$4/mile to $2.5/mile of transport.  Don't count round trip.  We pay about $250 to ship a skid steer 100 miles but we ship often.
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

GAB

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

$400.  With short hauls you normally pay hourly for all hours. Last week we paid $150 / hr to move an excavator about 50 miles one way. Semi with detachable low boy trailer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

In trucking for hire only the loaded miles matter and hotshots are cheap because many are competing for loads, rates are down now.  About $2mile for generic untarped flatloads.  Short runs will get into the $3/mi range so someone actually bites. 

But buddy deals are different. $300 is fair, $400 generous.
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Mike, what's the best way to go as far as getting a loader brought up ? Slasher on a trailer from TN- NC ? Which is the best place to look ? Rough idea what it should go for a mile ? 

Southside

There is a difference in waiting for someone to get a load and having someone go play fetch too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

78NHTFY

BargeMonkey--Just had a 11000 lbs skid steer delivered from PA.  Bought at on-line auction.  The site had numerous moving co's listed.  They are actually brokers ($ 80 - 125 fees) who find equip movers.  I was put on "heavy equip electronic board" but it was taking too long for me so went with another broker who put me on "car/other electronic board" and winning bidder I accepted was a hot shot mover for $800.  Had an F550 with 40 ft trailer.  Delivered the next day.  Just over 400 miles, so like Mike Belben wrote 2¢ a mile untarped flatload.  Thought it was an OK deal.  You probably know all this stuff but in case not, hope it was helpful.   
Bruno of NH--Nice looking skid steer beast.  One reason I got the Takeuchi TL 150 was cab room, and it's also a beast!
All the best, Rob  
If you have time, you win....

mike_belben

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 09, 2020, 11:24:44 PM
Mike, what's the best way to go as far as getting a loader brought up ? Slasher on a trailer from TN- NC ? Which is the best place to look ? Rough idea what it should go for a mile ?
Its legal dimension and only needs air hooked up right?  Is it a dayton spoked,  flat, dryrotted tire piece of crap or pretty decent looking?
Thats a power only move. Tons of guys do them and they may be fairly cheap if the machine looks like it can go over the scales without being put OOS.  You could either find a power only company or you could have any broker post the load to DAT or ITS [load boards] as a power only job and let the trucks in the area call in to bid.  Upfront youll have to decide what youre willing to pay max and i think $2 a mi [or maybe less] should get it home pretty easy. Broker keeps the difference between what youll pay and what the lowest truck who will do the move accepts.  I have used jon at JRC in connecticut to find me a truck for my crawler loader before and hes been a broker for years. 860-729-9134
 Now as soon as you have to put an oversize flag on and get permits that price goes way up of course. $2 kinda the okayish rate for flatbed. Rates are starting to climb and will continue especially as spring dries out and all the manufacturers get rolling.  Sooner than later if you want a cheap haul. 
There are tons of knucklebooms around peachland NC, mt gilead/troy NC,  moncure NC,crossville TN, red boiling springs TN and all of S. eastern KY for sure. Throughout georgia as well. The rural southeast is all buncher and KBs, tons of them. 
Praise The Lord

47sawdust

I'm having a 9500# tractor moved from Arkansas to Vermont for $1750,distance of 1400 miles.
I used fr8star to solicit bids,there were 2 @ 1750 then to 3200.
Short hauls in N.E. are another matter.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

timberking

Old fashion hand full of cash never goes out of style.  $300 is a good number.

luap

I have a friend that does dirt contracting and I asked him how much to move a 10000# mini excavator and it was $100/hr, starting from leaving his yard.

mike_belben

Quote from: 47sawdust on March 12, 2020, 07:13:39 AM
I'm having a 9500# tractor moved from Arkansas to Vermont for $1750,distance of 1400 miles.
I used fr8star to solicit bids,there were 2 @ 1750 then to 3200.
Short hauls in N.E. are another matter.
Thats $1.25 a mile headed northbound to a deadzone with no backhaul freight.  This indicates that the two desperate bidders wont survive long unless they smarten up.  

Cost to operate a truck comes out around $1.20-1.55 a mile long term.  You can only operate at break even for so long.  

Im driving out of the everglades empty right now because the rates are terrible.  The customer who wanted us to come in had to pay a premium to account for that.  
Praise The Lord

Ianab

Your maths is right, but with a bidding site like that it's likely someone has bid low to complete a load. If he can haul 2 tractors for $1750 each.... 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

Its possible this person is hauling partials.. They can work.  but it is a pain, especially with brokered loads.  No broker wants to play second fiddle and they call you constantly.  

I moved a lot of my own stuff by booking a good partial then filling empty space with my junk.  I love being second fiddle if it means free transport.
Praise The Lord

Ianab

I hear what you are saying, but I often see a tractor on a flatbed, along with a couple of pallets of random something and a packet of lumber or something identifiable. 

Figure he's dropping off at 3 different places, and each load is paying a % of the trip. 

Running a trip with a 50K load truck with 9K onboard makes no sense. (unless you are back hauling and would otherwise earn zero) 

The logistics of organising and combining those different loads is where the Internet comes in. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

47sawdust

The tractor I am having moved is coming on a 53 trailer which leads me to believe there are multiple units being hauled.
Mike is right.Vermont is a deadzone for hauling freight too,but us residents like to think of it as a little more lively than that :D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

711ac

Bruno if you're working in the woods and your Bobcat is on 14 x 17.5 tires, I have a set of Grouser (brand) over the tire steel stacks that have plenty of life in them. They also add iirc 1500 pounds and provide incredible traction as compared to a rubber track machine. Flotation - just a little but they also will increase your tire wear. They are rebuildable and are my old set. I found a deal on a new set as I believe the dealer was stuck with them, only the biggest SS machines run that size tires.

Bruno of NH

711ac
I will check the tire size 
I'm interested 

Bruno of NH

The tracks won't work   
The tire size is 15 x 19.5
That's a bummer

Hilltop366

Quote from: Ianab on March 13, 2020, 04:29:15 AMRunning a trip with a 50K load truck with 9K onboard makes no sense. (unless you are back hauling and would otherwise earn zero)

I know of a truck that runs a regular 7000 mile return trip from Nova Scotia to California (frozen lobster meat) and returns empty every trip, seems crazy with all the produce that comes from that way but they want their truck back asap with no delays.

Now think about the value of the load, a tractor trailer full of lobster meat, the wharf price of live lobster was a bit over $10 per pound until the covid19 thing started and the sale to China stopped. Live lobster is about 20% meat by weight.

mike_belben

Quote from: Ianab on March 13, 2020, 04:29:15 AM

The logistics of organising and combining those different loads is where the Internet comes in.
Ian, im driving and dispatching several trucks these days all east coast from the wheel.  I have DAT and ITS and am on a headset all day, i need a second phone really.
Trust me, the two lowbidders into VT are noobs going broke unless they actually live nearby and want a load home. Thats the only time to run cheap into a hole. Because the truck is gonna run there empty otherwise.  Or if youre barge you might run cheap chasin tail but thats another story.   :D

Theres only a trickle of flatbed freight into VT at all and partials are a trickle of all freight, so two partials into there isnt too likely.. And two bidders with two partials even less likely.  What youre really seeing is the pricing of new vs experienced bidders.  $3/mile is what it takes to have a nice car in the driveway.  $1.50 a mile is what it takes to live year round in a truck and send your check to the wife in pakistandiaxaco.

Remember the 2018 "OMG TRUCKER SHORTAGE!" hoax? There was never a shortage, its just that for a while, all carriers agreed to haul for rates that they could live well on and most drivers wouldnt stay out for weeks, for less tha  they could make at a home every night job.  The megas then need fools without a "other work" option, who will work for $4/hr or so.  So they start screaming driver shortage to recruit immigrants to america, put them in a truck and exploit them to run for half price.  A few break out and get their own trucks but still are accustomed to the half rates and running like a dog lifestyle. I meet them all the time since i live in a truck too now.  

Brokers are all too happy to say their only getting 50 bucks when theyre really getting 50%.  Truckin is a mess right now. 

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!