iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

extension on an LT40

Started by JD350Cmark, April 11, 2004, 10:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD350Cmark

I got a 6' extension for my mill.  Anybody have advice for do's and don'ts or what to look out for while setting it up and during use?

Bib-  From one of your recent posts, you prompted me to list my mill at the bottom.

Thanks, Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Bibbyman

You're welcome,

Arky has an extention - I think it's a 12 footer.  He must not have seen your post.  Someone needs to rattle his cage.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Minnesota_boy

Find a level place to set the mill.  The extension isn't very adjustable for height with it's fixed length legs.
Read the instructions twice before you install it.
Make sure the track is straight and level and that it lines up with the track on the LT-40, both top and bottom, then level the bed to the mill, using the adjusters on each end of each bunk.  Take plenty of time on this step as it is critical to the quality of the cutting you will be doing.
Enjoy the extra length of log that you can cut.  Loading the long logs can be a challenge.  I had a welder adapt a third loader arm so I could use the hydraulic loader, but I did lots of long logs to make it pay.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

I was rattled!

You mean someting like this?  I am still mobile so I had to make a mod to mine so I would not have to take the leg off and on.

Once you learn to adjust the set screws where the main tube fits together it is not so bad.  I use a string run down the outside of the bed to level them together.  I use white oak shingles I made to shim up the bed extension.  My high lift jack speeds things up as well as the loader on my tractor.  I can hook up and level in about 45 mins and disconnect and be road ready in about 15.  My mod helps alot.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jim_Rogers

I've got a six foot bed extension, on my LT30HDG24 so that now I can mill up to 22'4".
The first problem I found years ago, when I first set it up was that the gear that pulls the chain threw was hitting the one of the bolt heads that locks the end block, in the end of the mill. The end block is the block that the leveling set screws push against.
To overcome this problem I put a piece of wood between the outrigger leg on the mill and the leg on the extension table to just push the extension table a little out of line towards the sawdust side of the mill. This seemed to give the clearance needed for the chain gear to not hit the bolt head. And it doesn't seem to affect the cutting of a log or board.
The next thing I noticed was that after the first one or two times I rolled a big log over on the mill and the extension table that the rails were out of line. This required me to move the set screws again to align them. I'm finding that the end block is shifting around inside the main tube of the mill regardless of how tight the holding bolts were.
Another sawyer, I told of this problem and who uses a 24' bed extension found this end block also moved on him inside his mill tube. He bored a hole clean threw the mill tube and end block so he could bolt the entire assembly together and make it so that it could shift around once set up.
After he told me of this I traveled out to his mill site and took some pictures of this bolt hole location and assembly so that I could copy this and improve my own setup.
To date I haven't had a chance to do so.
Here are some photos of this set up:

And the reverse angle:

And the bolt threw the end block:

I hope this info is helpful to you, if you need to improve your set up.
Jim Rogers
Jim Rogers Sawmill

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

raycon

What is the cost of a 6'  extenstion? (Edit: called thed dealer its $1400 + mounting bracket & shipping if needed)
I've been hanging the logs off the end of the mill and then scooting them forward on rolllers. An extension would make life simpler.

Lot of stuff..

Minnesota_boy

QuoteI've been hanging the logs off the end of the mill and then scooting them forward on rolllers. An extension would make life simpler.

It sure would.  I'm sure I'd have trouble balancing those 32' pieces on my 21' bed and I know that it would be pretty difficult scooting them endways.  :o :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

It is better to load the logs big end first so you can take off short boards first.  Also the back toe roller will lift up the small end of the log most of the time and you can just put a board under it.
  I slide logs back and forth on toe rollers for a year before I bought my extension and it has been worth it.  From time to time you see used ones for sell.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Gilman

Quote...  I had a welder adapt a third loader arm so I could use the hydraulic loader, but I did lots of long logs to make it pay.

Minnesota,
Do you have a picture of this modification for the group?

Thanks in advance,

Gilman
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Kirk_Allen

ARKANSAWYER:
When you load those long logs how do you you keep the log balanced since so much is not being supported?

Thanks
Kirk

Thank You Sponsors!