iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Cjross73, April 07, 2019, 08:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjross73

Hi all, I'm new to the group and sawmilling. I bought some land that was timbered a few years ago and there are a lot of hardwood logs left laying around it. I tried an Alaskan mill on an ugly looking log just to see how it worked and came out with a few nice oak live edge slabs. I would love to have a bandsaw mill but when I get what wood I have cleaned up I doubt I will have access to enough wood otherwise to justify my mill. Reading posts on here I see people are rebuilding old Mills and I always like resurrecting old things so that could be an option. I have next to no experience working with wood other than restoring old airplanes so there is going to be a huge learning curve for me. 
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

moosehunter

Welcome to the Form! Where are you located? Many questions you may have will be easier to answer if we know where you are. Fill out your profile and the info always be available. If you aquire a band mill, the logs will come! I've never run one but understand that an Alaskan mill will make you an old man before your time!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Cjross73

I'm in eastern NC, Mount Olive. 

I have only run it through a few short logs, not going to lie, it's a lot like work....

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kelLOGg

Welcome, CJ. We're not too far apart.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

twar

Welcome! Lots of good stuff here.
(I do like the pickles; born in Greenville, grew up in W-S.)

Cjross73

Quote from: kelLOGg on April 07, 2019, 02:02:00 PM
Welcome, CJ. We're not too far apart.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I get up your way occasionally for work

Cjross73

Thanks tear, I'm learning quite a bit reading here. I'm a transplant from WV, stayed here after I retired from the military

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Cjross73!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

CJ,

Welcome to the FF. Which part of WV did you call home?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Cjross73

I grew up near Spencer, little place called Newton

scsmith42

Welcome CJ!  I'm about 20 minutes south of KeLLog.  

What kind of old airplanes do you restore? 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Cjross73

Scott, I've done several. A couple of old Taylorcraft, Stinsons, Aeronca, I love the old fabric planes. The last one was a Piper Clipper, still have that one. Learned a lot about working with wood working on an old Beech Staggerwing some years ago, until the project ate more than they wanted to put into it

scsmith42

Quote from: Cjross73 on April 08, 2019, 06:19:41 AM
Scott, I've done several. A couple of old Taylorcraft, Stinsons, Aeronca, I love the old fabric planes. The last one was a Piper Clipper, still have that one. Learned a lot about working with wood working on an old Beech Staggerwing some years ago, until the project ate more than they wanted to put into it
I've lusted after a Staggerwing since I was 17.  One day.....
Just putting the finishing touches on a 2,500' grass airstrip here on the farm.  Ought to make the first landing later this summer.
A good friend of mine built a Pietenpol Air Camper several years back, and is putting the finishing touches on an RV10 right now.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Cjross73

I have a 1700' grass strip here for the Clipper. I've always loved the Staggerwing, one of the prettiest planes built

Thank You Sponsors!