iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Becoming a Qualified timber framer or log builder??

Started by Billyboy, October 19, 2013, 06:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billyboy

Hi All
Can anyone shed some light on what it takes to become a Qualified timber framer or log builder... as in been able to build houses for  clients?
I see some schools you can do but do they give you any qualification at all???...and most of them are only a few weeks anyway so surely you need a lot more exp than that.

Is it possible to do an apprenticeship with a timber framer or log builder and become a tradesman as such..

I know very little about either of these skills atm but have a keen interest in learning them.

Thanks in advance
Mitchell

bmike

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC
www.mikebeganyi.com

Billyboy

Mitchell

S.Hyland

I suppose it depends on what constitutes a "Qualified" builder. Are there any particular regulations in Australia that you would have to follow?
Personally I got into the timber framing business without any formal training or schooling whatsoever and now have a thriving business with several employees. Life circumstances would have precluded me from a protracted apprenticeship, and I only could have gotten where I am the way I got here. Having said that, I did a LOT of reading and research and have benefited immensely from knowledge that I have gained from others. Regardless of what route you take, it is very important to have an experienced mentor that you can turn to. If you are doing work for clients, check your plans with an engineer who is familiar with timber framing. Knowledge can be passed down very effectively by teachers, but so can mistakes. Question everything, especially one's self , and look for the ideal solution to every problem. Most importantly, if you want to learn it, start doing it. Do a couple small projects for yourself and try to understand and analyze every aspect.
If something like Guild apprenticeship program is open to you, it would be a great path. If not, there is so much knowledge out there to tap into, it just needs to filtered and then tempered with hands on experience. Good luck!   
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Billyboy

Thanks... Yes there would be Regulations I'm not sure what they all are but normally to be able to build  Any construction over I think its $20000 you need to be a Registered builder And the normal process to become one as I understand is complete a 4 year apprenticeship  which makes you a tradesman but you still can only work under a Registered Builder Until you do the relevant study etc to get your builders license..

I don't really fancy doing a 4 year apprenticeship that would have have very little to do with traditional timber framing just so I can get my builders license.

I think there maybe some loopholes but I'm not sure what they are..
There doesn't seem to be many timber Framers in Australia that I can find I certainly don't know any personally but I have seen a couple of websites on the net.. but I am also a citizen of Canada and would consider going over there to learn if I had to...

Thanks Again
Mitchell

timberwrestler

I realize that Australia is a big place, but you can't really do any better than timber framing with Rob Hadden in Castlemaine, Victoria.  He only does projects in his own little compound, but he's probably one of the best timber framers in the world.
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

Billyboy

Thankyou I will see if I can get in contact with Rob..
Mitchell

Thank You Sponsors!