iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me find Hardwood Pegs

Started by prittgers, May 10, 2015, 09:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimXJ2000

The shaving horse can be fun...but it took about 3 tries to get one that worked for me.

Search YouTube - there are some good ideas out there.   Some are works of art.  Some are more practical.  I ended up using some screws and bolts to hold it together.  Function became more important then style for making barn parts. 

We bought wooden pegs, but worked the ends a bit so rough cut points stick out rather than the smooth turnings.  I have also made spindles for railings with the shaving horse out of new oak. 

kgb12158

Here is 2 more cents.  Riven in my opinion is the key factor.  I will say depending on how straight your riven blank is turning it should be fine.  I've found there can be a bit of curve to my blanks that is not a problem if finished by hand.  Turning a curved blank may be an issue.  I enjoy hand shaving my pegs and likely can produce them more quickly from a blank than I could set up and turning on a lathe.  The pegs were never intended to be perfect. 
Enclosed is a peg in a joint with the large end square.  Truly a square peg in a round hole.  This is from the attic of a ~1790 Episcopal church in upstate NY.  The peg was shave 8 sided and tapered on the opposite end.  Someone saved time by working only the 1 end.
Interesting discussion but 100-200 years ago I assume the pegs were split from a block then hand shaved with a draw knife or chisel.  I tend to use historical practices just my choice.

Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.
Only 23 months to full time timber framing

kgb12158

Kim Balfour Timber Framing since 1986, Woodmizer LT40 HG, and 52" Lane 00 circular Mill.

kgb12158

AlaskaLes

All good information!
It sounds like I'll be building a shave horse at some point in my future.
I'm likely to try both shaved and turned pegs, just to see how they differ.
I like the idea of soaking them to increase flexibility and lubricity.

It's cool that a simple question here can turn into a long list of answers based on years of personal experience
...and I didn't even start this one!
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Dan Miller

Quote from: AlaskaLes on May 27, 2015, 04:19:22 PM

I like the idea of soaking them to increase flexibility and lubricity.

Your pegs want to be dry when you assemble the frame.

AlaskaLes

Explain your statement Dan.
Is that to avoid future shrinkage?

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Dan Miller

Yes - they will loosen as they shrink. Also the ends of dry pegs won't mash up when you drive them home.

AlaskaLes

Thanks Dan, that makes sense.
I'll plan on keeping them dry, rather than soaking.

Slightly off topic...We went out to the creek front property yesterday and staked the pad for 6 driven pilings.  We'll be building a 14 X 20 deck and building our 1st timber frame structure there.  It will be a 14' hexagon shaped gazebo with a small deck facing the creek and a stone fireplace and maybe a small stone pizza oven. 
To be used for grilling and chilling.  Can't wait to get started.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

Justin Bailey

www.loghomestore.com has 3/4" and 1" round different lengths up to 14" in ash oak maple and some black locust. I bought over 100 or so 3/4" black locust 8" long from them, nice quality, they're located in Oregon.

On the site, look under hardware/fasteners/timberframe pegs.

Thank You Sponsors!