iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Charles McRaven's Hewn-Log Workshop

Started by ChrisGermany, February 27, 2012, 11:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisGermany

Has anyone attended the log building workshop with Mr. McRaven? I've enjoyed his book on hewn-log homes immensely and it looks like a great opportunity to learn, if I can scrape the money together.

Just wondering about the experiences of any forum members who have attended.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

krusty

I bought the book and then a truckload of logs and a broadaxe. No need for a course ;)

If you have hewing questions post away! Advice is cheap  :P

logman

His books are what got me interested in log and timber frame construction.  I've never been to his workshop but I attended Don Chapman's log building school twice.  I had a great time at both of them.  Unfortunately Don passed away a few years ago. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

ChrisGermany

Been about the same for me, Krusty. I've got a growing pile of hewn logs for the wee cabin, but would love a chance to meet the man and spend some time listening and watching, too. Was just curious if anyone else had, since I'm no rich man ...and the cost is fairly steep. (for me, at least!)
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

krusty

I hear ya on the price and chose to spend my $$ on tools :)

Every once in a while I speak with someone locally who wants to learn how to hew a log but seems to loose interest when they realize it is work!

Spend a bit of money and get this Alone in the Wilderness video:

http://www.dickproenneke.com/

I never heard of the guy until a couple weeks ago and his craftsmanship is stellar!

LOGDOG

That's my wife and my all time favorite book. Movie is good too. I've probably watched it 30+ times if I've watched it once. I would have loved to have known Dick Proenneke personally.

Thank You Sponsors!