iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New here......

Started by Stix, March 31, 2004, 02:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stix

;D  Man this is just the place that I have been looking for!! Anyways, I just bought a Husky 372xp for big Eucalyptus (sp)? and was wondering who to take it to for some mods. Mainly exhaust to make a little power but mostly for the fact that it makes it run cooler. A big plus in the summer. I live in california and heard that there is someone good in oroville? If so thats great, right in my backyard. Let me know. Also , I'm not against sending the saw to someone also. Maybe some guidelines as to what I might expect to pay for a good pipe job too. Thanks alot.......... Jerad

Kevin

Jerad;
Welcome to the forum.
There are a few to choose from, I haven't had any saw mods done so I'll let the others respond.
I did order a replacement modified muffler for my 335 climbing saw from Walkers for the reason you described.

oldsaw-addict

Try Dozer Dan, He does great work, His power ported Dolmar 7900 outcuts a Stihl 044 and I think a Stihl 066 as well, but I'm not certain. His user profile will give you an email address if you want to contact him for saw mods, He'll even modify the engine itself if you want him to and you'll have a saw with the power of a 395XP but the engine of a 372XP. his work is as I and many others will agree first rate.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Stan

Well you have fallen in with a rum lot, here, but we'll try to keep things held down a bit, in honor of your status. ;) Meanwhile if a muffler is all you are thinking of Walker's will send you a modified one for about $35. 8) 8) 8) Just remember to richen up the high speed screw a bit.  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

redpowerd

yep, this is the place your looking for.
dennis helped me with advice on opening up my muffler.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Oregon_Rob

As I spend wayyy to much time looking for chainsaw info on the web, i have a link to a thread all about opening up mufflers on 372's:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5127&highlight=372

If you have any questions after that, ask away.

Rob
Chainsaw Nerd

oldsaw-addict

I dont know why I never saw that thread on AS before, I know I should have seen it. Its very well said there, if one can have more than 2-5 questions after reading that thread, they must be confused or new to chainsaw mods.

Duane_Moore

8)Welcome Stix. we be neighbours. I will listen for that new saw.  Welcome Aboard, from Marysville, Dist 10. 7mi. No. stop by  Duh---Duane 8)  free coffee
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Stix

Where abouts in Marysville? ;D

Duane_Moore

Stix.   7 miles north on Hy 70. district 10. live on Boyer Rd 790  Duh---Duane . stop by    741- 8492
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Kevin

Husqvarna 335 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/26601181/130560487lwqkUo

Husqvarna 335 modified --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/26601181/130560555jUWRRJ

oldsaw-addict

Hey kevin, that modified 335 muffler looks a little oily to me, I cant really tell whats been done to it.

Kevin

It's the high gloss paint Walkers use to finish them.

oldsaw-addict

Oh It looked like the crap and oil that normally accumulates on the muffler after the saw has been used some. I just cant tell that easily. Did you get any major gains on your 335? Just wondering. I may get one sooner or later.

Kevin

The only gain is cooler operation.
rpm didn't change, it's exactly the same.

oldsaw-addict

Well I was just curious, thats good though, the engine runs cooler and therfore lasts longer, I wouldnt mind that on ANYTHING with an engine.

Kevin

There isn't any screen in it and the exhaust port is larger so the carbon build up should be less.

Hunter

You should try EHP ported saws. His saws are smokin fast. His 7900's run with an  066 and 088  in stock form and usaually beat them.
He makes the really fast and built to last.
His 346 will run with any stock 372.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

dozerdan

Hi
 It is true that you can build a little 346 that will run with a stock 372 but you neglected to add the fact that you have to run that saw on a mixture of alcohol and nitro. I don't consider that type of saw built to last. Those saws are built to the max and not for the average person to run. At about 3 second, wide open throttle, out of the wood and the engine is toast.
 I have ran those little 346s with woods mods built by Ed, Ken Dunn and myself and the difference between all 3 are next to nothing.
 Mufflers done by Ken and myself all come with spark screens. In some areas in the US they actually inspect your saw to make sure they are in place.
Later
Dan

Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Kevin

John asked me if I wanted a screen in the 335 muffler but I opted out because it plugs up with carbon too readily.
I still have the original muffler.

ehp

Yep Dan was it fun to try run that 346 on alcohol, And yes it is not for cutting firewood  but it was not built to cut firewood plus  it didnot have a head on it so Gypo could try to learn on how to run it , now a ported 346 will cut with a 372 cutting broom handles but once the wood gets big no way which we seen last weekend with a bunch of us playing around . Dan when i seen you that 346 alcohol saw was the only 346 that i had made at that point so you have never seen a gas 346 yet but last weekend same chain on all saws one 346 cut 5.80 , another one someone else cut 7.16 and the other cut 7.22 ,and we were cutting 15 inch tullip and yes it had a screen in the muffler so to say they are the same , nope

066_stihl

EHP the best saw builder. You can see who crying.

THANKS Ricky

dozerdan

No one is crying. I was speaking of 346s with normal woods mods done to them. Last year in Ohio, I made 3 cuts from a live start in a hard dry poplar 10/10 that was 15.2 seconds with a 346 that I built that was running on gas. For the record, I only took second place with that cut.
 How is your 365 half breed coming along?
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

redpowerd

welcome to the forum 66

dan, sorry i missed your shop on the way thru penn last month. definetly gunna need something in the way of more power for next winter. mabie a 7300. forget that 032!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

dozerdan

redpowerd
 Sorry you couldn't make it. I am sure we would have had a good time. I have a friend in Ohio that has a chain saw museum( House Of Saws) he is clean freak, I am the opposite of that. When I email him, I always end with,
Dan from the Garage O Crap
He enjoys that one.
 The 7300 doesn't seem to get the recognition that it deserves. It seem that everyone just goes for the 7900. The 7300 is on par with the 372 Husky or the 2171 Jonsered. It does gave a slight edge over those two on hp and torque.
 My 16 year old son just ported and piped his first saw by himself. It is the 7300 now known as a PP7300Jr. He was getting *pithed at me because I wouldnt touch the barrel and help him out but he got over that the first time he made a few cuts with the saw. I just gave him insructions. We will see how that saw works and how he can run it at the show that I am having this week end.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Thank You Sponsors!