iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherryblossom tree story

Started by John Vander, May 07, 2013, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

I watched this on tv the other day. It's was a story about the work of arborist Masaru Kobayashi. He is in charge of taking care of the 2500 cherryblossom trees (52species) in Hirosaki park in Aomori Prefecture. Amazing thing was that he managed to save a very old weeping cherryblossom that fell over due to root loss. He managed to graft roots from other young trees of the same kind onto this tree. The tree survived. Very skillful I'd say.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

John Vander

The tree I was talking about.

thecfarm

I've been to DC and saw the cherry blossoms twice. The last time they was late and we got to see them. Those that you are showing are big trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Vander

Some big ones here in Japan. Due to Japan's heavy rainfall and humidity, disease and insects make life hard for these trees. Had to fell a big one 2yrs ago at the school where I teach. The tree was already suffering when some guys from a local construction company came around and topped it. That was it. Coppicing didn't work either. Hoped to get some new small tree growing from the old roots, but it was done for.

Thank You Sponsors!