iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgraded to a better Moisture Meter

Started by 123maxbars, April 21, 2019, 03:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

After listening to the Kiln presentation at the GA project and the knowledge shared by @WDH @YellowHammer I decided to up my game on moisture meters. Up until now I have been using a pinless Wagner meter I got from WM years ago.  Over the past year I was always frustrated with the readings. Using it inside my kiln was useless most of the time and even boards taken out of the kiln the readings were all over the place. I am aware that it is a density meter but the readings I get over a board are just unacceptable when selling kiln dried wood. Today I ordered the Delmhorst meter with the sliding hammer probe. I hope this meter will give me more accurate readings inside and outside the kiln.

The wagner has its uses I propose, but the readings are just to sporadic for my liking. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The pinless meter is awesome for checking kiln dried lumber in a manufacturing plant.  It is also widely used for checking softwood construction lumber...it is so fast indeed.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

KenMac

What is the recommended model Delmhorst? J2000? Which particular accessories are needed? I also need to upgrade.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WDH

I have the J2000X with the slide hammer. The "X" model is supposed to be good for kiln use. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

The J2000 style is the meter I use, its got a shunt calibration and is very consistent.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!