iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where's the powder?

Started by rooster 58, July 06, 2014, 09:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I've searched everywhere. I cannot find any gun powder to do some reloading. What gives? :(

pappy19

Gun shows are the best place, but get there early and expect to pay premium prices.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Southside

Same thing with primers, ammo, lead, etc - since the administration can't get legislation passed the EPA has been attacking the 2nd amendment via the back door and by buying up all the supply they can.  HHS has purchased over 1 billion rounds of ammo if I recall correctly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scsmith42

Quote from: rooster 58 on July 06, 2014, 09:08:33 AM
      I've searched everywhere. I cannot find any gun powder to do some reloading. What gives? :(

There has been a run on ammunition and reloading supplies for well over a year.  Unfortunately a lot of it is panic buying and hoarding, but in the past 6 weeks or so I've started to see an increase in local supplies.

The main thing is to keep looking; you'll find some eventually.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Crow99

My best take on the component / ammo shortage is consumer panic buying.  In short, it's US. I wish folks would stop blaming the "billion round government purchases" and such for the shortages.  All these amount to are contracts for future procurement, not an immediate order to plunk down truckloads of ammo at government offices nationwide, and they don't stress the manufacturing and distribution process any more than they ever did.
Until I retired 10 years ago I was (among other things) a firearms instructor in a very large federal agency... and we always had these contracts. We periodically ordered against them in much smaller amounts as needs and budget dictated... not tons and tons all at once.

Bibbyman

Quote from: scsmith42 on July 07, 2014, 09:14:53 AM

There has been a run on ammunition and reloading supplies for well over a year.  Unfortunately a lot of it is panic buying and hoarding, but in the past 6 weeks or so I've started to see an increase in local supplies.

The main thing is to keep looking; you'll find some eventually.

The shortage of about everything has been going on for 10 years.   It seems to revolve form one item to the next.  Early on all ammo was in short supply - especially any handgun or tactical rifle ammo.    A year ago it was primers,  then brass,  the bullets.  Ammo seems to be in good supply now. There are primers at this time.  I even bought a brick of 22lr a couple of weeks back from MidwayUSA.  Our local Walmart has dropped their limits on everything but 22. 

We're lucky in living near Graf & Sons that has a retail outlet.  Although their web based business may not show any powder in stock, there is a chance they may have a small inventory in their retail store.   

I hear that there is about to be a big influx of foreign powder.   While you may not want it,  maybe it'll ease the pressure on domestic supply.   Russia has been importing ammo and primers for a while under the Tula and Wolf brands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

I went to a gun show last Saturday.  While there was a good supply of powder some brands were missing as normal.  There was enough variety I could have reloaded about anything made.  Prices were close to normal.  I saw primers but didn't pay attention as to what kind or price.  Plenty of bullets and brass.  The week before I picked up 1,000 once fired LC 5.56 brass for $80 at another gun show...I thought that a good price.

I met the owner of a start up local company that reloads the other day.  He said they are selling everything they can crank out.  He offered to give me a tour of there little operation.  I'm going to check them out as it looks interesting and I need 308 brass.  Here is a link to them and they have an interesting video of there loading machine.  Think he said it can do 60 rounds per minute.

http://www.ffammo.com/

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

goose63

Was AT Scheels Sporting goods in Fargo to day all the primers you want 30 bucks a brick brought home 4 bricks but no powder
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bibbyman

I had a shooting buddy ask if I could spare a couple of pounds of Titegroup (fast burning pistol powder).  I said sure but our connection didn't happen yet.  But I had business that took be past Graff & Sons so dropped in to check.  They were out of Titegroup but their powder cabinet was nearly full of powder.  As full as I've seen it.  The salesman said they were starting to get powder in.

I walked down their primer isle and it was well stocked. They had Magteck primers at $27/1000 to Winchester large pistol at $32/1000 and a good variety of all brands and sizes.
Sawing since '94

rooster 58

Yesterday I was notified by Midway that rl22 had come in. I called and ordered 2 lbs. But it won't be shipped for 4-6 weeks. And my brass is still on back order. It should have been here on the 3rd. ::)

rooster 58

Go figure. I just got an email last night from Midway. My rl22 has been shipped. I was told it will be 4-6 weeks. Now if the %#*(& brass would come in ::)

rooster 58

On my way back from a trip to Pittsburgh this morning, I stopped at the gun shop about 25 minutes from home. I was happy to find federal and cci primers, AND some IMR 4831 powder 8) 8). I bought 2 lbs. of powder and 200 of each primer. I'm working up a load right now so I only got a limited amount of primers. They didn't have cci benchrest primers though. They are a little pricey and I only want 200 for now, but can't find them in 100 packs yet.

Now if only the brass would come in      :snowball:

Bibbyman

Last fall I had checked the box on the MidwayUSA website to be notified when they got in TiteGroup powder.  Yeatday I got an email notifying me that it had came in.  I went to their website and it had already sold out.  But I sent my shooting buddy a text message that it may be fruitful to call Grafs retail store and check with them.  He did and scored 3 pounds. 
Sawing since '94

jdonovan

sandy hook panic fallout... still.

goose63

Found a store Watertown S D has all the powder you could want but I need H 110 and Winchester 760 the only two he did not have hopefully next week hopefully
Got all the brass primers and bullets I need for the next five years I hope that powder comes in
goose

rooster 58

Last Saturday my brass arrived in the mail. Now I have all the components to begin reloading, except for the rl22, which will be here in a few weeks. I can start with the IMR 4831. I need to build a bench for the press first tho. The next day of sawing I'll bring some hemlock home.

One question I have for y'all. I have some cci benchrest primers that are probably 20 years old or better. They've been stored properly but I was wondering if their age would impact consistency? I have new primers as well but wanted to try the BR primers to find the most accurate load I can work up

goose63

Try them I think thy will be just fine I have used old primers with out any trouble at all
goose

jdonovan

Quote from: rooster 58 on July 25, 2014, 06:14:58 AM
     One question I have for y'all. I have some cci benchrest primers that are probably 20 years old or better. They've been stored properly but I was wondering if their age would impact consistency? I have new primers as well but wanted to try the BR primers to find the most accurate load I can work up

With the improvements in manufacturing I would venture to say that 20 year old BR primers may not be as consistent as current standard primers.

I can with with most reload batches get 0.5" or less 100 yd groups out of my 308 with cci 200 (non-br) primers.

What we teach in the reloading class is:  The information we have from the component manufacturers says that primers stored under proper conditions have no known degradation, and are regarded to have an unlimited shelf life.

rooster 58

I hope I can keep my 25-06 grouping like your .308 there j ;)
                                   Scott

jdonovan

Quote from: rooster 58 on July 25, 2014, 07:18:46 AM
I hope I can keep my 25-06 grouping like your .308 there

It took a lot of other attention to details, to get to that point, but so far I've found no reasons to tinker with primers.

Oh, and I'm doing this with ball powder too.  Ramshot Tac. I'd prefer some of the Hodgon 4895, but thats been unavailable for years, so you run what ya got.

Bibbyman

I've reloaded for 45 years.  I can't think of a center fire handgun or rifle I've owned I didn't reload for.  I never went for bench rest accuracy although I've had a few rifles that would group under an inch. 

Last summer we got into cowboy action shooting and I struggled to adapt to the reloading strategy.   That is light loads with light bullets at subsonic velocity.   About all loading data is for industry standard bullet weights and velocities.   It's tough to find loading data for what are gallery loads.  Guys in the game call them "mouse phart loads".  You can't just reduce the powder charge as you'll start to get erratic burn.  But there are plenty of guys that have figured out what works so by researching and networking, one can get an idea where to start.
Sawing since '94

trapper

We used 10 grains unique with cast bullets with gas checks in 30-06 indoors
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bibbyman

Quote from: trapper on July 26, 2014, 12:18:10 AM
We used 10 grains unique with cast bullets with gas checks in 30-06 indoors

Did you use any kind of filler to keep powder in the bottom of the case?   With that much case and so little powder one can get erratic results depending on position of powder in the case.

I've used this kind of load to fire form one case to make another.   30/30 to 38/55 comes to mind.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Quote from: jdonovan on July 25, 2014, 07:23:37 AM
I'd prefer some of the Hodgon 4895, but thats been unavailable for years, so you run what ya got.

Bruce Hodgdon of Hodgdon Powder Company got his start buying surplus 4895 after WW-11.  I think there were several in on the deal, but Bruce was the only one that built a business on it.  Dad knew Bruce and bought a large supply of the powder.  I still have a couple of pounds...hope its still good.

I didn't know it was in short supply but my powder of choice is Varget.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Larry on July 26, 2014, 11:27:23 AM
I didn't know it was in short supply but my powder of choice is Varget.

Topped with 69gr SMK's?   ;)

Thank You Sponsors!