iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Cabin Build

Started by TimFromNB, April 30, 2018, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimFromNB

Hello, I am finally moving ahead with this project. Will be posting progress in this thread for anyone who might be interested.

TimFromNB

Here are photos up until now. Received the logs about a month ago and waxed them up with Lee Valley Log Sealer. They are mostly EWP with some Red Pine mixed in for spares and non-critical members.

Last photo is where the cabin will be raised.

TimFromNB

Finally started milling. Almost halfway done. I am getting some nice clear beams but also some pretty knotty stuff as well. I'll be using the knotty stuff for posts and clear for rafters, plates and ties. Weather went from 31C for first two days then to 6C. At least no flies at 6C ;D.

flyingparks

Nice looking whack! I'm excited to see this project. As far as the temperature goes: you can always put more layers on, but you can only take so many off.  :D

Ljohnsaw

8)
:P
Just for size idea, are those timbers in the last picture 8x8s in the middle and 6x8s up front?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TimFromNB

Hi John,

Yes, those are 8x8's in the middle. The nearest stack has rows of 5x7's and 4x6's.

Ljohnsaw

I went back and looked again at your pics.  You've really maxed out your cuts on those logs!  Were you getting two 8x8s out of a log?  It looks like you were splitting the pith on them :-X
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TimFromNB

Flyingparks - exactly, prefer working in cool weather!

John - that last log was quartered into 4 - 9x9's. So I got 2 - 8x8's and 4 - 4x6's. I could have pulled out 5x7s instead but wood wasnt clear enough for rafters.

sterling08

Hi Tim,

I am very interested in your project! You are doing what many of us wish to be doing. Do you have a cabin design finalized yet?

Sterling.

TimFromNB

Hi Sterling, thanks. I do have a finalized design (almost done). 16'x20'

sterling08

Tim,

I am currently building the same Sobon frame, but in a 16x26 format. It is not going to be insulated, but other than that it is pretty much the same building, which is why I am so interested. I am still debating a few finish details, and am wondering what you have in mind for yours.

What are you doing for window and door framing? For a frame like this, how important is the window and door framing? Specifically, should this be mortised and tenoned into the main frame? (The same question applies for the nailers). I currently have in mind to use 4x4s that are mortised and tenoned, but it seems that this might be overkill.

I have found all kinds of good information readily available for building the frame, but when it comes to closing it in, there seems to be many options, which can be very confusing.

Sterling.

TimFromNB

Days 5 and 6 of milling. 

Nice clear (almost) 8x10x16 tie beam in the making 

This one was wicked. Ended up taking it off the mill. Might cut into two 8ft pieces and cut boards out of it... 

Slab pile is getting bigger. One more white pine beam, then onto the red pine for boards and 2 by's.

TimFromNB

Sterling,

This is a modified Sobon design. I guess the only real difference is going with housed bird's mouth rafters instead of step lapped. Hoping this will save me some time.

I will be enclosing with wrap and strap - check out Brian Weekley's post on this forum for his barn build. Very similar. I will have mortise/tenon for one girt per wall, but for the rest, I will probably just make housings and screw the girts into the posts from the outside. Similar to this but with housings and larger girts: https://www.facebook.com/shelterbuild/photos/a.10152637194290696.1073741825.189436415695/10159318420890696/?type=3&theater 

Tim

TimFromNB

Milling, Day 7. Finished all the white pine. 

Last 8x10x16

Ended up cutting the crooked 16' and 12' logs into 8' pieces. We quartered them and made some 2 by's for loft decking.

Only red pine left...and it is small. Will make a few spare beams and the rest into boards. One more day of sawing, then onto cutting joints!

samandothers

You are making great progress!

sawmilllawyer

Really enjoy your progress and looking forward to more postings. Keep up the good work.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

TimFromNB

Thanks guys  :)

Finally done milling.

Day 8 - finishing red pine into extra beams and rest into boards.

Found a few nests in the wood pile.

Trees are keeping the stacks mostly in the shade for a good part of the day. Still need to get them covered though.

These smaller logs were so much easier to handle!

Final results:

More slab wood than I know what to do with! And all the green bark is attracting too many bugs and borers for my liking.

Hopefully I will get all my cut sheets ready before the weekend and I can start planning my cutting plan.

Not sure if I should start with the smaller members (rafters, joists, braces) or with the bigger ones (tie beams, posts and plates). I'd prefer having my learning curve on the smaller stuff, but not sure if it will have a chance to move too much before assembly. I don't think I can cut the whole frame in less than 6 months.

Any thoughts on what to tackle first? I have a few extras for almost all the members.

Thanks,
Tim 

P.S: found a photo from one of the bigger logs we milled. This is a 16' EWP.

flyingparks

Looking great, Tim! You'll be surprised how much you can cut once you get a rhythm going. The posts are probably going to be your most time consuming. If it were me, I would start with the sills to get your feet wet. Then, I would do a bent at a time. That way you don't get too ahead of yourself. Cut the posts, then the beam. I would definitely make a template for your braces and cut those all at once. Then the rafters. Just my advice. Also, take your sweet time and double check measurements. Especially on your first members. 

Piston

Wow!  It looks like your off to an excellent start Tim!  Those are some beautiful timbers you have there.  Good luck with the project and thanks for posting photos along the way.   smiley_thumbsup
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

TimFromNB

Thanks for the encouragement :) 

Got some old pallets (free!) and two cheap 15'x20' tarps that I ripped up to make these fork friendly removable stack covers. It was time for this. Only 2-3 weeks in partial sun and already getting surface checking...hope this will reduce it.

Ljohnsaw

Nice!  But even in full shade, your beams are going to check a bit.  You just can't stop the physics involved.  Its called character! ;)
John Sawicky

123maxbars

Great work here, thanks for sharing!
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

E-Tex

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

TimFromNB

Yesterday I got all the posts out on the saw horses to grade them visually and figure out which one will go where. Also marked the reference faces. Today I started layout on my first post! Taking my sweet time on the first ones until I get the hang of it.

TimFromNB

Update:

Finally started cutting my first post. Overall I am happy with the results so far, except I managed to gouge out too much material on the bearing surface of the tie beam mortise. I took my time on the upper face then thought I could go faster on the bearing face...go figure...Has anyone tried filling these in with epoxy or something? Biggest gouge is about 3/16".

First cheek/shoulder.

Where I gouged out the bearing surface...worst spot is 3/16th under cut:

First brace mortise.

I'm thinking it will take me about 1 full day per post at this rate...

Thank You Sponsors!