iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS261c or Husqvarna 555

Started by GriffLog, April 07, 2017, 06:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GriffLog

Hi All

My brain is wrecked trying to decide which chainsaw to get for general farm work of around 150 hours per year.
I have narrowed it down to either the Stihl MS261c or the Husqvarna 555 due to local dealer support.
The 50cc Stihl is not far off the hp of the Husqvarna and is lighter which is very nice but seems to have more vibrations.
The 60cc Husqvarna has more displacement and so might be better able to deal with the work and not burn itself out with high revs and heat.
The price of both are around the same so I'm looking for something that will last.

What would people recommend of the two chainsaws mentioned?
Could the lighter Stihl really be upto doing the same kinda work/load as the Husqvarna?

gspren

I can only speak for the 261, as a general all around saw on my farm it's great but I do have a 044 when the 20+inch trees need cut. The Huskys just didn't feel right to me but then I'm older and always ran Stihl's. If you have a chance to run both try to run saws that are already broken in as it takes 4-5 tanks before they perform right. Good luck & welcome to the FF.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

ButchC

Am curious as to why you are debateing those two saws.  A better Stihl VS Husky  comparson would be the 261 vs a 550 at 50CC or the 362 vs the 555 for 60CC. In my opinion the 60CC saws are better for the one saw  plan than a 50.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

NITRO313jh

I have a MS 261 It has been a good little saw Held up well over the last two years. The 261 has done around 30 Full cords . Runs well . It would not have been my choice , as I would have gone with a 60 cc saw . But this was a Gift from my Dad after I started heating with wood again . As dad knew that my old 625II Jonsered had lots of Hr on it. The MS261 in not in my opinion built to run day in and day out . Just my $0.02 .

Fishnuts2

They are both excellent saws, but the 555 is the best choice in this case. 

GriffLog

@ gspren - Thanks for the welcome! I don't really have a chance to run both saws. It is interesting that you choose a bigger saw for 20+ inch cuts.

@ ButchC - very good question. my reasoning is that this is a choice between my preferred 50cc and my preferred 60cc at around the same price . I choose the 261 over the 550xp because it has a small bit more hp than the 550, there is no need for a primer bubble and does not seem to be as finicky as the Huskys to start.
Then the reason for the 555 is that the pro 50cc engines scream with high revs and so I don't know what they will be like over time. The 60cc of the 555 with higher torque and slower rpms should have more longevity and it has a nice bit more hp than the 261/550. It also has quality xp/pro components and less vibration than the stihl.

@ Nitro - I would agree due to the high rpms of the 50cc saws.

@ Fishnuts - You're probably right

Can someone explain the below please and if it affects quality/lifespan and maintenance of a saw??

The 555 is just a detuned 562. What does this mean?
The 555 external transfer ports/covers are slightly smaller than 562
The 555 lacks the crank stuffers of the 562. Does this only affect the rev-boost.
The affect of a small bar mount?
I never liked the way that the outboard clutch on Huskys are housed in the bar cover. Are inboard clutches not better?
The affect of a sloped cylinder on husky versus vertical on stihl.
Is the better filter on the stihl a real negative for huskys?
Is there chrome used inside of stihl and not on husky?

bladerunner

Quote from: ButchC on April 07, 2017, 09:42:15 PM
Am curious as to why you are debateing those two saws.  A better Stihl VS Husky  comparson would be the 261 vs a 550 at 50CC or the 362 vs the 555 for 60CC. In my opinion the 60CC saws are better for the one saw  plan than a 50.

good post

you either want or need a 50cc or a 60cc and compare those models

as for the choices given, a husky 555, no brainer LOL

NITRO313jh

If it was Me I would Go with the Husky 555 . Like I stated in my other post . The MS261 is an nice little saw. it cuts and does its job , Not a fast saw and not very rugged but starts and runs. But If I had not received it as a Gift, I would have gone with a Pro mod 60 cc saw Husky or JRED . Just my .02

Thank You Sponsors!