The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: B56 belts for Wood-Mizer blade wheels  (Read 16770 times)

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: B56 belts for Wood-Mizer blade wheels
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »
Itís supposed to be crowned.  That makes the blade track correctly. 
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline luap

• Not as good as I once was
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
In a conversation I once had with a Gates representative He said that the manufacturing process had improved to the point where buying a matched set was no longer necessary but from a marketing standpoint if that was what the customer wanted  they made them available.

Online WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2020, 08:43:55 PM »
It’s supposed to be crowned.  That makes the blade track correctly.
  I disagree. My understanding is WM advises and they supply flat surfaced B-57 belts to get the most traction on the blade. Sorry - no offence intended.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2020, 09:19:52 PM »
None taken Iíve been wrong before and can be corrected.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 10:45:19 PM »
Itís supposed to be crowned.  That makes the blade track correctly.
 I disagree. My understanding is WM advises and they supply flat surfaced B-57 belts to get the most traction on the blade. Sorry - no offence intended.
It's interesting when I bought my mill in 1994 Woodmizer actually recommended belts with a crown on them. If memory is correct it was Browning that was one of the brands recommended and I think Goodyear as well back then. I found it odd when I got replacements from Woodmizer one time and they were flat back ones. I phoned about it and asked about that and they said it has changed.
My mill manual in the troubleshooting section for poor blade tracking it states one of the reasons could be flat belts.
Regardless, the new belts they supply work great so either way would work I'd say.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51:07 PM »
Yup, Wood-Mizer's B57's are specially manufactured for them and they are flat.  They are the only belts that I have actually used.  I say "used" because for some unknown reason I tried the orange belts once which were a total failure.

You are correct donbj, but I suppose R&D led them to the present B57's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline donbj

• Share Post
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 10:57:35 PM »
Yup, Wood-Mizer's B57's are specially manufactured for them and they are flat.  They are the only belts that I have actually used.  I say "used" because for some unknown reason I tried the orange belts once which were a total failure.

You are correct donbj, but I suppose R&D led them to the present B57's.
Yes, they don't shy away from the R&D that's for sure. The surface contact and traction makes sense, especially for some of those beasts that drift across your mill!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2020, 05:47:25 AM »

I've been using round top belts for over 15000 hours with no problems, steel wheels are crowned.   Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »
The belt situation is not as simple as it seems. One argument says use B56 belts that fit tight so sawdust won't build up in the groove. The other side says loose B57's leave a way for the sawdust to get OUT. Been my experience if you get sawdust buildup under the belt, you have other problems. Flat versus crowned..Mount a blade over a crowned belt, apply normal blade tension..Now look under the blade...What crown. It's mashed flat by 2000 lbs of pressure. The crown is mashed flat and the released every revolution of the bandwheel. All that flexing leads to a much shortened lifespan. The real gotcha is a different internal construction. Slice across an old crowned belt so you can see the internal structure. The cords are in the sidewalls, none under the crown. Compare to a flat top belt, there is a layer of cords under the flat top. Again, experience the woodmizer belts will outlast the parts store ones by a large margin. Cheaper is more expensive in the long run.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »
Very true, Piney!  thumbs-up

I've most always used the Wood-Mizer B-57 belts, except one time I had a blade break and took out the idle-side belt!

I went to the parts store and picked up a regular B-57 to get by with until I could order another pair from Wood-Mizer!

The parts store belt worked fine, and I only had about 1,200-1,500 feet to go on that job. The belt looked severely worn when the new belts arrived 2 days later!

As Piney stated, the parts store belt does a lot more flexing and it's lifespan will be much shorter!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer, 2018 Silverado 4X4
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »

Lets keep a couple things straight, B56 belts do not get sawdust under them ever.   I run any old B56 and they last a LONG time.  Maybe with the B57 going in and out of the wheel is hard on belts.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline adirondacker

• Living the good life!
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2020, 06:31:59 AM »
Thanks fellows for all the input on belts whether B57s, B72s etc.,. See what we can do in this country when you put smart brains together......

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2020, 07:43:06 AM »
Has anyone experienced a broken belt? I did last week.  I dug out a piece of pine knot with a screw driver that was lodged in the wheel groove.  I assume that was the cause.  I replace it with an old one that I saved from last belt change.  

When I get new belts, they will come from WM.  I don't feel like experimenting with other sources. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum

Offline VooDooChikin04

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2020, 11:17:01 AM »
do the WM belts fit the surplus center sheaves just as well as the sheaves WM uses?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
belts for the blade wheels

Started by randy r on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post December 14, 2012, 01:38:00 PM
by randy r
xx
Wood-Mizer LT40 HDG25 Drive Belts - GONE

Started by DR_Buck on For Sale

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 07:22:17 PM
by Stephen1
xx
Running wood-mizer without metal covers on belts

Started by TnSawyer on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 10:32:39 AM
by Bibbyman
xx
Wood Mizer Blade Sharpener and Setter (Blade Maint Pkg) - SOLD...

Started by Warren on For Sale

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 02:01:48 PM
by dbnair