iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nobles got a BeAvER!

Started by Jeff, March 08, 2003, 07:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

And a BIG one by the looks of things!  Noble was good enough to save some of this stuff for me to try out my rustic furniture hobby on. I was hoping to go pick it up when I get the chance to go a visitin, but Noble has devised a way to get it to me before that. Its coming by whitepe express. :D The great big chunk will become a table if we can keep it from cracking up.

Noble, I forget what you said the species was? It sure looks like ash but I know better. Tell us about your Beaver please. ;)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

The title of this thread is not very accurate-------I HAD a BUNCH of beavers.  Dad trapped them all out, I hope.  One was over 50 lbs.  Those things are really destructive.  It's hard to believe the size of chips they can make.

The cut trees were all Box Elder.  I guess they liked the sweet sap.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

They are a nuisance around here too.They have killed off several acres of trees up where we are logging and are flooding the road.I got too close to one that was swimming in the ditch,and he stopped and showed me his big Orange teeth.

I got the hint and backed off a bit.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Norm

We have two small creeks that run through our farm, both have beavers on them. We trap them in the fall and if that doesn't control them then we resort to shooting them. Their favorites here are soft maple and the river willows, although they will go after about any soft hardwood tree. I'm amazed by the size of tree they will tackle. That's a neat idea Jeff to use those for your projects.

dail_h

dynamite boys dynamite!!!!!!!works every time
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

RavioliKid

This thread showed up at the right time! I'm teaching a unit on shelters, and beaver lodges are mentioned. It's nice to have a few extra pictures to show the kids!

I've got them saved with my materials for the unit, so I'll be able to find them again next year.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a beaver lodge?

RavioliKid

Mark M

Hi Ravi

I have a few pictures and will try to scan them today. Here is one showing a beaver accident. The beaver got hit by the tree after it finished the cut and was heading back to the water.

Mark

http://www.pbase.com/image/10979174

Ron Scott

Check the Animal Inn's and Tree and Plant ID Threads or do a "Beaver" search here on The Forum.
~Ron

biziedizie

Awwwww poor little beavers are being killed! What ever happened to relocating the little guys? I know that they can be a pain in the a** but they were here first and they are a cycle of life......Oh btw way when I saw the topic of beavers my mind was wayyyy off in the other direction! :)

Steve

RavioliKid

Steve,

Go wash out your mind!  ;)

RavioliKid

Norm

We don't try to wipe out beavers on our place just keep their numbers in check, I don't think live trapping and relocating is practical for us. I go to shooting them as a last resort when there are too many and they are chewing up trees faster than they can use. If left unchecked they are much more than a nuisance, they have no natural enemies and can flood areas with their handiwork and ruin valuable timber by girdling the trees. I am part of nature just like they are. Kind of hard to explain but I don't kill things just for the sake of killing, heck I feel bad when we do selective harvest and a tree that has been here longer than my family is felled.

Thank You Sponsors!