iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tamarack

Started by ford62783, December 06, 2009, 08:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford62783

hi all i was walking a lot today and to my surprise on the 100 acre lot i counted at least 20 tamarack trees with in a 500 yard distance i am wondering what kinda market there is for tamarack around the country as these were the most ive ever seen in one area
timberjack 240e

thecfarm

I sold mine for hemlock pulp.Was really too bad.Had about 2 acres of it growing in among white pine.Was nice stuff,can't remember how long,80 feet maybe,1½ feet through.I still have some left.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Tamarack makes good framing lumber.
Easy to work with too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Clark

Out of the softwoods it probably makes the best firewood.  In fact, I'd take it over quite a few hardwoods!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Mark K

There are a couple of mills that buy it here. I sold some last spring off a woodlot I was cutting for around 200-250 per thousand. 
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jcbrotz

I know a couple guys in lower NY looking for some. It is susposed to be rot resistant, I have not tried it but thats what I hear. I sawed a bunch of it for a couple guys one guy uses it to grow mushrooms in lasts him several years so he says. I do know you need to remove the bark if you let it set after its cut or bugs love it.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

SwampDonkey

We've cut for the pulp market here and it was very low end on the pay scale. I did have a few nibbles over the years for weir poles, septic, and lining potato sheds since it holds up better than spruce or hemlock to rot. Potato sheds produce a lot of moisture, so I think they treat wood now with linseed oil. We had it sprayed on the interior of a new shed a few years back. Food safe. But, no one believes me here. ;D Sorry Dang. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I thought I tasted something strange in that potato chip the other day. Must have been from a potato that laid up against some linseed oil.  ::) ::)
The other chip tasted fine.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Musta been the cheese you smothered it in. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Johnson

Tamarack makes a good substitute for cedar when used as fence posts, they seem to last just as long if not longer.
Bill

ladylake

Some of the best wood for outside use.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!