iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Profile Furniture Wheels/Rollers

Started by DR Buck, January 03, 2021, 04:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Have any of you used something like the photo below as wheels under heavy furniture pieces?    I have a large L shaped desk  loaded with radio equipment that I occasionally would like to get behind.   If I could just roll it out from the corner life would be so much better.    I would prefer to not increase the height much so these rollers might do the job.    One of my concerns is what damage, if any,  would they do rolling on the hardwood floor?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

btulloh

They'll make nice tracks in your hardwood floors. Dents at first, then scrapes when the balls jam up with grit.

Lots of furniture glides around for that job. Very low profile and work well especially if you have a little wax on the floor. 
HM126

Bandmill Bandit

They work ok on concrete but the will mark hard wood pretty good. I replaced a set of wore out piano casters with 8 of them (2 on each corner). They work good but they leave a pretty good mark.  Also dust/dirt jams them up pretty fast.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

btulloh

HM126

DR Buck

Thanks for the input.  Kind of what I was suspecting would happen.       Unfortunately, the desk is not one that will move well with slides.   The rollers were my best hope.  The biggest problem is I need swivel type rollers so it can be moved straight out from the corner at 45º.    Maybe sometime in the future I'll get creative with heavy duty swivel skate wheels and figure a way to mount them without increasing height too much.   

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Walnut Beast

If you use slides under all the heavy contact points it will move fine

Old Greenhorn

First Dr Buck, you have been holding out on us (me), I didn't know you were a ham. Second, NICE SHACK! Maybe a little too neat for me, but very nice, neat, and comfy. I don't know if you'd care to take a minute and tell me (us) what we are looking at, but I think I see some Kenwood gear, is that an Astron Amp or Heathkit? I see a mic, but I don't see a key or paddles. Lots of goodies, almost looks like a contest station to me. You could sure do some damage with that in a DX contest depending on what wires and aluminum you have in the air. My contesting days were long ago, but when I become less mobile and active I figure I will pick it up and start over again with new gear, my stuff is too old now and I have to re-learn a lot with the new technology. 
 But getting back to your question: I have a good idea of the weight on that bench/desk (which looks beautiful BTW). I also know you want to get back there for cable runs and changes and installing occasional new doo-dads. How about an odd suggestion? First, let me say those ball rollers will be everything the other guys said so please don't do that. But how about if you got a bunch of small double wheel fixed casters and set them inside the legs on new blocks (set to raise the desk about 1/4") and they were all set parallel at 45°. When you pull on the bench/desk, it will come away from the wall an equal amount on both sides. Yes, for moving about the room in general, that won't work well, but for what you need it may work just great. Just a thought. Those little double wheel jobs handle a lot of weight, some come with locking bolts to fix them in place. I got a bunch new surplus years ago and wish I could find them in my shop now.
 Good DX to you,
 73 de N2SA (Tom)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!