iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Robert Redford stopped by my sawmill shed today

Started by lazyflee, April 02, 2021, 06:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyflee

He said he heard they were filming "A River Runs Through It 2". First 50 degree day of the year and the melt is on. Of course the ground is still frozen so I can't trench and divert it. Still a couple feet of snow to melt. Makes a nice sawdust slurry to slog around in!

WV Sawmiller

I haven't had movie stars come by yet but I have sawed for a couple of country western musicians including an Alan Jackson and I sawed for a Bill Anderson just last month. I also spent 3 weeks sawing in Bolt WV, the home town of Little Jimmie Dickens. I did meet his sister and niece at a flea market a few months later. No telling what famous folks we will encounter in this line of work.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lazyflee

My neighbor (in summer months) is William Devane, he loves hanging around the sawmill. Making 4 six foot benches for his giant picnic table this winter/spring.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 02, 2021, 07:05:14 PM
  I haven't had movie stars come by yet but I have sawed for a couple of country western musicians including an Alan Jackson and I sawed for a Bill Anderson just last month. I also spent 3 weeks sawing in Bolt WV, the home town of Little Jimmie Dickens. I did meet his sister and niece at a flea market a few months later. No telling what famous folks we will encounter in this line of work.
Whispering Bill Anderson?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Yeah only my Bill Anderson is Australian. Instead of "Still" you get "G'Day mate. How is that mob down at Woodmizer to work with?"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

UncleMoustache

I rented a house to Allen Jackson.

a 20-something year old who lived with his girlfriend.......
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

Southside

Allen Jackson's girlfriend moved in with a 20 something?  Wow - talk about awkward.  :D 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kelLOGg

I didn't realize it at the time but I must have has the entire cast show up at my mill ;D

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

farmfromkansas

We are all dried up here in Kansas, till the next rain. Today is supposed to be ok, but the next 4 days, hang onto your hat.  And wear safety glasses. Still have a piece of sand in my eye from the wind 3 weeks ago.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 02, 2021, 08:35:42 PM
  Yeah only my Bill Anderson is Australian. Instead of "Still" you get G'Day mate. How is that mob down at Woodmizer to work with?"
Ahh, A Bill Anderson and not The.  We used to have a patient that we ran EMS calls all the time who's name was Michael Jackson.  I also ran a call on a Robert McFerrin years ago, but he did not go by Bobby.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

mike_belben

I almost got in a scuffle with christian slater in a USMC chowhall in hawaii around 99/00.

There was a line of abnormally tall, handsome and identical looking fellows in odd uniforms funelling through chow line but they didnt really carry themselves like jarheads.. Something peculiar.  So im kinda staring close at their uniforms trying to figure who are all these studs, when i brush elbows in face to face passing with the only one of them who is short and going bald.. But with hair thats styled.. just out of place..  not military regs .. And im like man that dude looks just like christian slater.. So i keep turning around and staring then pointing right at him to my buddy while he is looking back over his shoulder at me all stink eye.

Sure enough it was, they were the cast of some movie i never saw.. I think they must have been getting some clandestine training there for mindset or something.  I will bet they filmed jungle scenes somewhere in hawaii. Never heard of anything about it on the base.  Just looked it up.  "Windtalkers" released in 02. 

He wasnt much to look at by then, and is full of hair plugs and botox now.  The cost of fame following you through middle age i guess.
Praise The Lord

Percy

Had a real famous guy come to my mill in summer of 019....... Yes, its @Magicman 8) 8)

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

barbender

Magicman I see, but that's no LT70 behind him...😁
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Percy,

Did you get his autograph? You might take it to the Pawn Stars people in Las Vegas and sell it for big money. ;)
Howard Green

barbender

KelLOGg, I could see a 20" brown hiding in that "habitat"😊

terrifictimbersllc

I was in a small group with Bill Clinton, cant share anything he said,  but he gave me a wooden smoothing plane his grandfather owned. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

mike_belben

You didnt trade cigars or anything with him didja?

;D
Praise The Lord

terrifictimbersllc

yep and nope
wait, we traded a lot of nice yarns.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Percy

Quote from: barbender on April 04, 2021, 11:02:33 AM
Magicman I see, but that's no LT70 behind him...😁
My bad. That mill is on the same property as my Lt70 mill but I do not own it. It is a Boglei. Migh have misspelled that.  Regardless, da Magic was here🤓
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

thecfarm

There is a George Jones that comes into the store I work at.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mudfarmer

Don Johnson rounded a herd of piglets up for me one day when they got loose and he was driving by in his old Chevy ;D Real nice guy

barbender

UncleMoustache

Went to Basic Training with Charlie Brown. He preferred 'Charles.'

Bumped into THE Ron Howard in Sun Valley, ID in 1988. 
Josh
-Echo CS-670, CS-620, CS-370, CS-355T, CSS-266
-Stihl MS661, MS200T
-Dolmar 550
-SuperSplit
-Woodmizer LT15 Wide

Brob1969

Quote from: thecfarm on April 05, 2021, 05:42:41 AM
There is a George Jones that comes into the store I work at.
THE George Jones used to live down the road from my family farm in Tennessee.  I would occasionally see him at the local store on his riding mower...he didn't have a license due to his enjoyment of cocktails quite often.  
I used to do bushhogging for Jerry Reed when I was a teenager.
1990 Woodmizer LT40, 18 HP Briggs Twin II
1980 Ford 555 backhoe
1996 John Deere 4475 Skid-Steer

Thank You Sponsors!