iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DMV and my portable sawmill

Started by locked88, February 10, 2016, 08:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

The insurance is an interesting point. If you are buying the mill for personal use your vehicle insurance may provide partial or complete coverage as it would a boat or camper or such but if it is for business it may not cover it. It is sure worth checking into. I had WM deliver mine so that was not an issue for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Quote from: D6c on September 11, 2021, 09:12:16 PM
Does a WM mill come with a title?
If not, I don't know how you'd get a plate for it from the DMV.
Yes they do. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

I think you'll find that the title is a state document. Not one from Woodmizer. My sawmills have come with a sales receipt and a certificate of origin from the manufacturer. Same as boat, boat trailer, and trucks that I have bought. I apply for a title with the state DMV,  submitting the manufactures certificate of origin. The state then sends me a title.In my state anyway.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

farmfromkansas

When I bought my new Polaris Ranger, got a certificate, and the company urged me to get a title, so the state has your VIN, and if it is stolen, they will know if someone happens to order parts using the serial number.  Should be the same with trailers. Someone stole a baler from a farm where they were to have an auction, and it was recovered from the JD dealer putting the serial number in to check for parts.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Southside

I received an Indiana title with my 70. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

I agree with DJ, the document I got with my mill says "CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN FOR A VEHICLE" across the top!

All of the pertinent information is printed on it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on September 12, 2021, 09:09:47 AM
I received an Indiana title with my 70.
I suppose if a mill had been titled previously then one would receive that title with it assigned to him on the back, and use that apply to his state for a new title in his name.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

D6c

Quote from: Southside on September 11, 2021, 11:33:41 PM
Yes they do.
I wonder if my '87 LT40 had a certificate of origin when my dad bought it.  I'm sure he never applied for a title.

Southside

The title was for the "trailer" portion of the mill, states the weight rating and all.  Here it's considered special mobile equipment and no plate required so I just tossed in into the filing cabinet.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

D6c

Quote from: Southside on September 12, 2021, 10:17:37 AM
The title was for the "trailer" portion of the mill, states the weight rating and all.  Here it's considered special mobile equipment and no plate required so I just tossed in into the filing cabinet.  
We have special mobile equipment class also but it revers to the cargo, such as heavy equipment.  The cargo weight isn't included in the registration tonage.
The trailer still has a registration.
I'm guessing I would be required to plate it.  (Iowa)

Thank You Sponsors!