iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meter

Started by Bruno of NH, April 15, 2018, 01:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Is this meter any good ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

I have 2 and they seem to be OK
They both give the same reading on the same board.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The meter is indeed fairly accurate.  For $100, it will tell you a rough idea of the MC.

The "problem" with this meter is the resolution.  If the "8" light is on, this mean the MC is 7.0 to 9.0% MC.  And then the "10" light means 9.0% to 11.0% MC.  Or does "8" mean 8 to 10?  Also, you have to make species and temperature corrections manually or mentally.  You need the instruction booklet to make corrections.

With the short needles and the lack of a plug to plug in a hammer probe, you cannot measure core MC on most pieces of lumber.  That is, you are measuring surface MC.

So, I think their more expensive meters and probes are more useful for many people.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Southside

I have a SDM pinless meter from the Lignomat folks, more expensive, but it seems to do a very good job, it has 1/4" and 3/4" depth options and is species specific. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!