iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My dog cornered a skunk

Started by Riggs, May 17, 2012, 08:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

Any tips on getting the stench off? I can't stand for him to be on the porch, let alone in the house. Planning on trying tomato juice this evening. Anybody got any sure fire tips?
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Axe Handle Hound

I've been where you are right now, many times.  Forget the tomato juice, it's useless.  The following recipe works incredible.  Both our dogs got sprayed point blank one morning and I used the following to wash them.  I drove 3 hours home with them in the back seat of the car that afternoon and hardly noticed the smell.  Granted, they're short haired dogs, but this stuff really works.

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup Baking Soda

1 teaspoon liquid soap
(Dawn Dishwashing Detergent is often recommended, but any dish soap will work)

Rubber or latex gloves

Mix in an open container (bucket or bowl); it will be fizzy, a clue that you shouldn't try to mix it or store it in a bottle or other closed container.
Thoroughly wet your dog with warm water and then the solution while it is still bubbline. Knead it well into his coat, to chemically alter every bit of the thiols on his hair. Be careful to keep the formula out if the dog's eyes, nose and mouth; you can use a sponge to carefully wipe it onto his face. Let the solution stand for 10 minutes before rinsing. Follow the bath with a thorough rinse. Be sure to protect the eyes when rinsing the head.

Riggs

Thanks Axe Handle Hound, I'll give it a try.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

ohsoloco

That recipe works just as well (if not better) than the "skunk off" you can buy at the pet stores.  I usually don't measure anything, just throw the ingredients together until it looks right   ;)  Good luck keeping it out of his/her eyes, mine usually gets hit right between 'em  :D

thecfarm

That's what I use,Axe. It works good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks, I saved that recipe hoping that I will never need it.  ;D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

I'd say run the dog through the car wash but I doubt old Fido would stand for that .

Kansas

Especially the wax cycle.

I always had heard the tomato juice. Nice to know the other formula.

Riggs

The baking soda/peroxide/dishsoap worked pretty well. I've had a few tell me to try white vinegar. Hopefully I'll never need it again.

Norwood ML 26

JohnW

Yeah, google for it if you want more information.  3%?  I thought the commonly available h2o2 was 1/2% (0.005).  The sites say that tomato juice, doesn't do anything for the dog, it just floods your senses with the fresh sent of tomato juice.  The skunk smell stuff is some weirdly named acid.  That's why the h2o2 will counteract it.

It took my dog two skunk experiences to learn his leason, if he has.  He might have, I saw him near a skunk one time, and he actually listened to me and came back instead of chasing it.  He probably thought he didn't want to get any more h2o2 in his eyes.

Take your shotgun and go plug that dirty rotten critter, if you can.

treefarmer87

i have used vinegar/tomato juice combo, it work out ok. i was checking traps in the mountain laurel thickets, and when i realized what was in the trap it was too late :(
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!