iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood prices

Started by Okefenokee_D, October 24, 2019, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okefenokee_D

Has anyone noticed any changes in wood prices in your area? Generally, they do go down and the mills start putting loggers on quota. But just seems like it's lasting a lot longer here in the Southeast. I know it has been dry and people have been cutting a lot. I am wondering if these tariffs on China and the foreign market have also caused more of this? Maybe I am just worrying too much and maybe if we get some rain then the mills will open up more.

East ky logging

Prices has been pretty steady here in east Kentucky for the most part except red oak it's been up and down some mostly down. The dry weather had let everyone log wide open and cover up the mills. My son is a log buyer for a rather large mill and the concentration yard he works at has only been buying four days a week. They was almost ready to go to a quota but it has been raining some the last couple weeks and has slowed things down enough to not have to. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

timberking

Getting soft over hear.  Besides the hdwd pulp cut in half, the pine sawmills are selling cheap lumber the OSB plant is doing the same.  Been told to expect hardwood logs to follow.  

BargeMonkey

My price sheets are exactly the same as they where 4yrs ago basically. Not as bad as they have been. To many guys live and breath by the weekly market, things are going to even out with the overseas prices and tariffs. Believe it or not but right now I can average 400 per mdft on Firewood... loglength 😂 all about your markets. 

nativewolf

Hang on, change may be coming.  Trumps tariff spat with China (why'd we do this?) did not help, especially red oak.  I had a red oak thread this summer specifically because of this as we saw prices drop to not much more than tie log prices.  Now we see some hope for recovery and if the recent rains continue that is going to do quite a bit to help.  

I'm jealous of Barge's good firewood log market, wish I had something similar but I'm working at finding a good replacement.
Liking Walnut

Okefenokee_D

I know my State has lost a little timber land over the past few years due to land conversion. We will see how the prices go after the new year starts down here. My state just entered a level 1 drought.

Ed_K

SPF tipped the $400+ per mbf on the CME the last two days, we'll see how long that lasts.
Ed K

Okefenokee_D

I know I recently got woods prices of $13.55 for Pulpwood, $11.55 for Pinetops, $17.60 for Chip-n-Saw. All per ton prices.

Pulp was around $18/ton and Chip-n-Saw was around $22-24/ton

Thank You Sponsors!