iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started my sawmill shed today!

Started by warren46, September 28, 2013, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren46

Well I started my shed for my sawmill today.  Wait, I don't have a sawmill????  Here's the deal.

I plan to acquire a band mill sometime in the next six months.  Now I don't want that investment sitting out in the open so I will need shed for it.

I got a call earlier this week from a guy that had a large hickory tree cut down at the back of his property and he did not know how to dispose of the wood.  I went to look and this tree was 25 feet straight with no limbs.  I immediately saw a beam for the opening over the log deck of my future sawmill.  I had to cut it at 21 feet because I only had a 16 foot trailer.  The small diameter at 21 feet is 16" inside the bark.  It took a an hour and a half to snake that puppy out of the woods and onto my trailer.  Got a bunch of nice hickory firewood too.

Now my question: should I have it milled into a beam now so it can season a bit before need my sawmill shed or should I keep it as a log and mill it myself after I get a mill?  I will be a little hesitant to tackel a log like that as the first one on my mill.  Is there someone near Union County, NC that can mill a 21 foot beam?  I will post down in the timberframe forum to make certain what dimension beam I will need for a 20 foot span just to support a light roof structure.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Warren, does your beam have to be Hickory for your beam? Or is this just your choice since you have a Hickory log.
I can barely saw a 21 foot beam on my LT40. Depending on the size of your beam, I feel sure we can down size from such a HUGE Hickory to something more manageable on the mill. We can get a White Oak off the farm for your beam and you can save your Hickory for some very nice lumber.

Just a thought.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

warren46

David,

No special need for hickory but it was free and fit the bill.  Nice oak would work fine.  Perhaps we can trade hickory lumber for an equivalent oak beam?  We can talk when I come out and pick up that pine.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What ill be your dimensions for your beam?

WDH

First pecan, now hickory.  David, it is a slippery slope. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 28, 2013, 08:48:12 PM
First pecan, now hickory.  David, it is a slippery slope.

SOLD !

warren46

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 28, 2013, 08:33:33 PM
What ill be your dimensions for your beam?

David,

I will post down in the Timberframe Forum and get some advice.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson

Thank You Sponsors!