iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Helmet

Started by horselogger50, September 09, 2013, 11:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horselogger50

Looking for recommendations for a helmet with a face shield that doesn't interfere with glasses.

Compensation

I think a lot of them are the same, mine is a stihl. I love it! I leave my safety sunglasses on or the orange clear safety glasses with it. There is a lot of air space to keep your head reasonably cool. Don't forget the ear muffs that it comes with, because when your done its nice to hear afterwards. :)
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

NWP

I have the Rockman premium helmet from Bailey's. I wear sunglasses/safety glasses with it. They were on sale the other day for $49.95 regularly $79.95.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

DaleK

I have the Husqvarna helmet with the ear protectors, no problem with my glasses and it seems to adjust to my oversized cranium better than others I've tried.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Parafiddle

I have a Husqvarna helmet with face shield and ear protectors as well and really like it.  The ea protectors seal well to my head but also can be snapped outward in order to hear somebody talking to me without taking the helmet off or moving them out of position.  When I'm done, they snap back against my head.  There is slight positive pressure to keep a good seal but it doesn't cause me any discomfort.  Also came with a plastic neck cover that keeps moisture or pine needles from falling down the back of my neck.  Forgot to mention - I wear prescription glasses and have had no problems with the face shield getting in the way.  Works very well protecting my face from branches and chips.  Definitely recommend it!  :)

ford400

I second the Hasqvarna helment, no issues with my glasses.

Holmes

I like the Stihl and Rockman helmets.  The Peltor helmet's shield hits my nose and glasses.
Think like a farmer.

John Vander

I'm blind without my glasses. I use Stihl, no problem.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

cutterboy

I have a Stihl No problem with my big safety glasses. You can get them over at Orange Saw. I got mine there. They are expensive, but they are of good quality like every thing else with the Stihl name on it. I think all the makers of helmets assume the wearer will have eye protection on and take that into consideration.

Good luck on your quest for the perfect helmet.   Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Red Clay Hound

I had a Husqvarna until I ran over it with my tractor a couple weeks ago! :'(  I agree with Parafiddle's assessment.  I liked it pretty well.  Now I'm in the market for a new one.  Since I run Stihl saws, I'll probably try a Stihl this time. :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

shinnlinger

My Labonville unit fits over my glasses just fine...
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

cutter88

stihl pro series with fm radio ear muffs  :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

John Mc

I use the Husqvarna, and am happy with it. Whatever you get, go for a model with a six-point suspension. The cheaper four-point suspension does not provide As good protection.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ed_K

Make sure that the front forehead strap doesn't have a sponge rubber molded in.I found it very discomforting,and tore it off and that was a bigger mistake.I got to have rita build something to replace it.
Ed K

Andy B.

I also have the Stihl helmet.  I bet it's going on 10 years old now, and still works great.  Fits over any glasses I wear with it.

Andy B.

John Mc

Generally, the recommendation is to replace the helmet every 5 years or so.  I believe it's an OSHA requirement if you are using them commercially.  I believe the concern is that the plastice gets brittle with age, and exposure to the sun's UV rays can hasten that. 

I've been known to push mine beyond 5 years, but it's also not getting only occasional use, and is stored out of the sun.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

John Mc is right. Should be a date on it when to replace it???  I forgot. But I suppose if someone only cuts their wood that is trucked in and not in the woods,it might not matter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andy B.

I didn't even think about the plastic breaking down over time on these helmets.  I'm just a home owner who cuts some firewood and the occasional fallen tree.  I keep the helmet inside a cabinet in my garage when not in use.  I know you guys can't tell me what to do, but given my situation, would you think I could go longer than 5 years between buying new helmets?  The helmet I have doesn't appear brittle or discolored and even the foam ear pieces and sweatband are in excellent shape.

Andy B.

John Mc

I can't tell you whether it's safe to keep using it or not.  I'm in a similar situation, and have gone beyond 5 years.  I've never taken a hit to the helmet, so it's hard to say if it's still good or not.

I did have a Game of Logging instructor who took a 10 year old helmet and flexed it hard.  You could see tiny discolorations (the start of cracks) when he did this.  He did the same with a relatively new helmet, and the cracks/discolorations did not happen.  He logs professionally, and say that when his helmet shows this condition, he replaces it.

There is usually something stamped into the helmet showing the date (I forget if it's date of manufacture or date of expiration).  Something to check when shopping for a new one:  you don't want to buy one that's been on the shelf in the back of some store for 10 years.

beenthere

I've got some hard hats that are plastic and prolly 30 years old. Can stand on them and they don't crack.
That doesn't mean they won't let a limb falling on my head give me less protection than if new, but they are better than nothing IMO. I get another new one about every 10 years and keep the old ones for any guests or onlookers that arrive and want to go to the woods with me. They don't go without a hard hat.

I have a couple of aluminum ones which are forbidden now, apparently because of being conductive. But they are nice and light weight.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

macpower

Quote from: Holmes on September 10, 2013, 11:24:38 PM
I like the Stihl and Rockman helmets.  The Peltor helmet's shield hits my nose and glasses.

Just the opposite... The Peltor, (with the cloth cover over the visor), works best for me.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

thecfarm

I don't know for sure,but could you remove the earmuffs and faceshield from one hardhat and put it on another one? If it would work helmets are not even $10.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

horselogger50

I went to Orange saw and they were very nice and set me up with a good helmet and ear protection. Thank you.

wesdor

Thanks for starting the thread.  My helmet is getting old.  I just ordered the Rockman on sale at Bailey's.  Looks like a great bargain

John Vander

Quote from: thecfarm on September 14, 2013, 10:55:02 AM
John Mc is right. Should be a date on it when to replace it???  I forgot. But I suppose if someone only cuts their wood that is trucked in and not in the woods,it might not matter.

There's a date stamped on the helmet.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Thank You Sponsors!