iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sinker cypress

Started by Cpt.Mike, September 30, 2010, 03:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timerover51

For those with sinker cypress to sell, you might want to check out this individual.

http://www.cypressshakesloghomes.com/

LOGDOG

Hi Loggerheadman. Welcome to The Forum. Actually, it depends on where the logs are. But the DNR and DEQ are not the entities that you need to contact here. Other places yes. Here the two entities that drive most of the decision making are 1) Army Corps of Engineers since they oversee activities on Louisiana waterways and then as far as ownership of the wood and release of that you're looking at 2) the LA State Land Office. Louisiana is pretty good about letting go of the wood unless it's in a WMA (Wildlife Management Area). IF it's in a waterway that runs through a WMA then you're out of luck. Like the Pearl River. That's a no no. There are other things in play but it really depends on where the wood is at. I'll send this post as a reply to your pm.

I've actually gotten several PM's here recently asking for the same info. I don't think any of the individuals ever pursued it.

timerover51

Logdog, are permits for sinker cypress recovery in Louisiana restricted to Louisiana residents only?  Do you know of any operations near the coast where I might be able to get a salvage ship with a 12 foot draft into or near enough to use a smaller work boat to float the logs with air bags and then tow to the ship for winching out of the water?

LOGDOG

As far as I know permits are not restricted to LA residents only. Do you have a salvage ship with a 12 foot draft? Most of the places you'll find good sinkers are not accessible by that kind of a vessel. Have you been watching Shelby on Axe Men? See those narrow sloughs he gets up in back in the marshes? That's more likely to be the type of locations you're dealing with. Excluding the big lakes down by New Orleans and Mandeville. Even those are shallow for the most part.

For the most part, guys who chase sinkers end up going broke. If a man wants to get rich there are more viable ways to do it than sinker logging.

Trust me on this one.  ;)

redgriffin

Quote from: LOGDOG on October 03, 2010, 12:22:27 PM
Hey Cpt. Mike,

Welcome to the Forum. Where are you at in LA? I'm up in the Shreveport/Bossier City area. I can help you out. I'm very familiar with the permitting process in LA and obtained my first permit to pull sinker logs back in 2004 I want to say. I have the contacts to get it done. I also have the buyers and truth be told may be interested in them myself. How deep is the water they're in? Is it freshwater, saltwater, or brackish? Depending on the depth of the water I've got access to a deck barge (which is in South LA right now) with a 15 ton crane & grapple on it. I love sinkers. Any pine in the mix? I'll tell you up front that sinker logging is frustrating, dangerous,messy, exhausting, and in many cases an activity that sucks every last dollar out of a guys pocket and leaves him with nothing but bills to pay. However, done right under the right circumstances with favorable permits, good wood, a good market, and experienced help it can be profitable and even addictive. I know most all of the players in the market.

I'll send you a PM and maybe we can get together. If you're up my way you can come by my office otherwise I'll maybe be in South LA down around Covington this week.

I know this is an old post but if anyway possible I would like to talk, a little Incite of me we are a salvage company out if the New Orleans area have a lot of big equipment Derrick barges and cranes but no permits or buyers

ponmight

Quote from: Cpt.Mike on October 01, 2010, 03:29:49 PM
Like I said thecfarm, I appreciate the criticism. What I have found(and it was not easy to find) is that La.'s permit is 500 bucks. Now I just to figure out who to pay...

Mike

Mr. Mike I am getting started here in Louisiana also. i was wondering did you find out who to pay?

Thank You Sponsors!