iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Turbo 7 profile vs Kasco 7 profile.

Started by LeeB, March 14, 2018, 02:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Just wondering how much different they are. Not looking to start a brand war, just want to know how similar the profiles are. This has probably already been answered somewhere but I can't find it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cutting Edge

LeeB,

The most noticable difference is in gullet depth.  Performance wise, kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

Kasco 7 has tooth geometry of 7/35, very similar to the WM 7/34

A more appropriate comparison would be:

Turbo 7 or 7/39 has a deeper gullet to accomodate the steeper back angle of 39.5°

Kasco 7/40 is deeper yet.  Kasco intended it mainly for high HP/production output.

Both the WM 7/39 and Kasco 7/40 want/need higher feed rates to really take advantage of the tooth profile.  Lower HP machines can pull 'em, but it can be touch and go with lower torque output engines accompanied with alot of chatter and difficulty managing just how far into the governor an operator can go and still maintain good cut quality.

Hope this helps answer your question.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

LeeB

Thanks Richard. I really was hoping you would see this and reply. I guess I could have just asked you directly but now all of us know. Now to figure out which cam I have without being home to see it.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

PA_Walnut

I have a 33HP diesel on my 40Wide and just can't seem to get those 7's happily humming along in wide or tough material. I guess not enough ponies.

Love the WM carbides, but WHOA the pain when I hit metal with one of them.  :'(
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Cutting Edge

Quote from: LeeB on March 14, 2018, 07:07:45 AM
.... but now all of us know.

Yes Sir.  That was why I figured it was best to add a little more information.

Provided an opportunity answer common questions and provide good sound information, plus clear up some past/potential confusion.  That's how we all benefit.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

PA_Walnut

So, what would be the next best choice for someone liking the Turbo7's, but not quite enough power to feed at the rate required?

As I said, I'm finding that I like them, but when I get into a heavy-duty cut on my LT40 Wide, seems like I need more power to feed at the rate desired. 
Considering switching my mill to electric. May remedy.

THanks.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

YellowHammer

PA,
What thickness bands are you using using on the Turbos?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PA_Walnut on March 15, 2018, 05:57:03 AMAs I said, I'm finding that I like them, but when I get into a heavy-duty cut on my LT40 Wide, seems like I need more power to feed at the rate desired. 

I'm very interested in the performance of the 35 diesel on a Wide woodmizer.   Wonder whether you've monitored RPMs in your heavy duty situations, does your engine display have a tachometer?.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I have a 38HP Diesel on my sawmill.  Today I was sawing 26" wide Walnut and I had to constantly be aware of my sawing speed and the sound of the engine.  That was with a new .045, 7° Turbo.  Yesterday I had a .055, 7° Turbo on and I was not aware of any sawing difference.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Great info and inquiries. Yes, when I do a BIG cut, the engine groans if I feed at the rate I'd like to with 7's.
The engine DOES have a tach and I'm gonna capture it with my GoPro while cutting some BIG (max) logs today.

Yellow, I have .045 1-1/4 Turbo 7's. Been trying to mostly switch to carbide since the super-wide is the higher-value material anyway. I have some 36+ walnuts to put on there today!  ;D

MM, I haven't considered a .055. Maybe that's the ticket for me...do tell more.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Magicman

I find no difference in the actual cutting, but the .055 has to be more stable when you are sawing at maximum width.  I suppose that you could run it duller but who wants to saw with a dull blade?  The .055's do not have the blade life and seem to break more quickly than the .045's. 

No one has to remind you what you have when you coil it.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

arfero6

Wondering if someone can share a picture of the WM Turbo 7 profile. Want to make some comparisons with other similar profiles.
I suppose this is a 1-1/2" wide blade with a 7/8" pitch.
Thank you,

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

It's my understanding that the Wood-Mizer Turbo is  7° X 39° and the Kasko is 7° X 40°.  It would probably be difficult to tell them apart without other identifying characteristics.

PA_Walnut

I have discovered that .055 is a better blade for wider cuts. Also, LOTS of tension...more than WM calls for.

However, have recently gone to a Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber and now my cuts are FLAT and straight...right tool for the big stuff. However, lot more work!  :o
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!